News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

Test fitted the 90's Dodge Dakota parts store starter with the Lakewood Blowshield and TTI headers, had to massage (beat with hammer and socket) one of the tubes but it all fit. I have to notch the bellhousing on the passenger side, then next I have to dial it in to the crank.

Slowpoke

Just spent an hour and a half draining 17 gallons of 10 year old gas from the 68. :eek2

Haven't started it in that long due to storage and money concerns.

Next is cleaning up the carb and oiling the engine, hopefully for a start up on Monday or next week.
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

grdprx

I got my floor repaired recently, nice to not have to reach down to shift into drive!  Shop made me a custom shifter too.

JamieZ

I went to adjust some of the slop out of the steering, the lock nut proved particularly stubborn.  I tried PB blaster, etc to no avail.  I ended up removing the battery and the battery tray, along with the boot off the number 1 plug.  Then I was able to slip a socket over it, put a breaker bar on it, and get it loose.  I would tighten the screw, check the wheel, tighten, check, etc.  I found about 1 1/4 turns were needed to get it where I expected it to be.  There is still some slop but nowhere near what you see in the video.

Next day I looked at the choke and reset it to the middle adjustment.  It idled much better, but seemed to come off a little early.  I'll have to adjust it some more, but that will have to wait for it to cool.  Since it was warmed up, I took it out for a brief spin.  The steering was much much better.  At no point did I feel like it was out of control guessing.  Even at 50+.   It still feels a bit over boosted and I might adjust the shims but for now it is at least drivable without a feeling of sheer terror.

johnnycharger

Quote from: JamieZ on May 26, 2015, 04:44:23 PM
I went to adjust some of the slop out of the steering, the lock nut proved particularly stubborn.  I tried PB blaster, etc to no avail.  I ended up removing the battery and the battery tray, along with the boot off the number 1 plug.  Then I was able to slip a socket over it, put a breaker bar on it, and get it loose.  I would tighten the screw, check the wheel, tighten, check, etc.  I found about 1 1/4 turns were needed to get it where I expected it to be.  There is still some slop but nowhere near what you see in the video.

Next day I looked at the choke and reset it to the middle adjustment.  It idled much better, but seemed to come off a little early.  I'll have to adjust it some more, but that will have to wait for it to cool.  Since it was warmed up, I took it out for a brief spin.  The steering was much much better.  At no point did I feel like it was out of control guessing.  Even at 50+.   It still feels a bit over boosted and I might adjust the shims but for now it is at least drivable without a feeling of sheer terror.

Did you take any pictures as you adjusted the box?  How about an after adjustment video? I would be interested in seeing that. I have never adjusted my box but I am sure it could use it...

XS29L9B2

i work i work lol

voila un peu d avancer du wkend encore un wkend voir deux comme celui ci et l auto part au sablage.

voila je pense a passer la deuxieme lol
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

JamieZ

Quote from: johnnycharger on May 26, 2015, 05:09:56 PM
Did you take any pictures as you adjusted the box?  How about an after adjustment video? I would be interested in seeing that. I have never adjusted my box but I am sure it could use it...

I'll set up the camera this weekend and take a quick video.  Not sure what you would want picture wise for the adjustment.  It's the big nut with a screw sticking out of it right near #1 :)  Hard to miss (and access)

71_Charger_R/T

Quote from: XS29L9B2 on May 28, 2015, 11:51:21 AM
i work i work lol

voila un peu d avancer du wkend encore un wkend voir deux comme celui ci et l auto part au sablage.

Ya...........  What he said!

TexasStroker

I used a little more av gas to fire the Charger up on Memorial Day and Wednesday I ordered a dash pad that hopefully fits correctly!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

VegasCharger

Quote from: TexasStroker on May 28, 2015, 10:47:26 PM
I used a little more av gas to fire the Charger up on Memorial Day and Wednesday I ordered a dash pad that hopefully fits correctly!

Good luck on the dash pad Texas :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I know that has been kicking your A$$

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

XS29L9B2

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on May 28, 2015, 09:01:38 PM
Quote from: XS29L9B2 on May 28, 2015, 11:51:21 AM
i work i work lol

sorry it s one quote to my french subject on a french forum lol

Ya...........  What he said!
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

JamieZ

Quote from: JamieZ on May 28, 2015, 08:07:11 PM

I'll set up the camera this weekend and take a quick video.  Not sure what you would want picture wise for the adjustment.  It's the big nut with a screw sticking out of it right near #1 :)  Hard to miss (and access)

Before and after video

https://youtu.be/K2KJwxEULAQ

johnnycharger

Quote from: JamieZ on May 29, 2015, 07:18:33 PM
Quote from: JamieZ on May 28, 2015, 08:07:11 PM

Before and after video

Pardon my ignorance but all you fid was loosen the nut, tighten the screw  and then tighten the nut again? Good deal!

TexasStroker

Quote from: VegasCharger on May 29, 2015, 03:42:45 AM
Quote from: TexasStroker on May 28, 2015, 10:47:26 PM

Good luck on the dash pad Texas :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I know that has been kicking your A$$

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Haha, thanks...I wish it was here this weekend so I could see how it pans out.  My next option is literally trying to add foam to mine and recover it myself.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

myk

Before I went to a cruise this evening, I plugged in fresh vacuum lines from the T fittings to the headlight door actuators, and installed a different set of vacuum actuators.  Now my headlights open again!  No more jumping out in the middle of a night-cruise to open up the doors.  But now, they take forever to close.   :icon_smile_blackeye:  gonna do some troubleshooting today.

Wait...is there supposed to be a hissing noise coming from the headlight switch at all?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

JamieZ

Quote from: johnnycharger on May 29, 2015, 10:27:47 PM

Before and after video

Pardon my ignorance but all you fid was loosen the nut, tighten the screw  and then tighten the nut again? Good deal!

Yes that's all I did. It still has slop, but it's not white knuckle driving time.  It's a lot easier than removing the box and rebuilding it or putting in a replacement.

Dino

Quote from: myk on May 30, 2015, 03:33:58 AM
Before I went to a cruise this evening, I plugged in fresh vacuum lines from the T fittings to the headlight door actuators, and installed a different set of vacuum actuators.  Now my headlights open again!  No more jumping out in the middle of a night-cruise to open up the doors.  But now, they take forever to close.   :icon_smile_blackeye:  gonna do some troubleshooting today.

Wait...is there supposed to be a hissing noise coming from the headlight switch at all?

You can hear the air pressure changes when turning them on, but there shouldn't be any hissing after that.  The doors should close swiftly as well so something's not right.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Quote from: Dino on May 30, 2015, 09:32:42 AM
Quote from: myk on May 30, 2015, 03:33:58 AM

You can hear the air pressure changes when turning them on, but there shouldn't be any hissing after that.  The doors should close swiftly as well so something's not right.

I figure the switch is leaking so I'm going to try swapping it out...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

keith88

Added a mechanical temp gauge and oil pressure gauge to my car found out the  stock temp  gauge was 30 degrees off(to low ) when it wanted to worked and the oil was 10 ponds off.

1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

johnnycharger

Quote from: JamieZ on May 30, 2015, 08:45:28 AM
Quote from: johnnycharger on May 29, 2015, 10:27:47 PM

Before and after video

Yes that's all I did. It still has slop, but it's not white knuckle driving time.  It's a lot easier than removing the box and rebuilding it or putting in a replacement.

Wow! That took less than 5 minutes and made a huge difference!  Thank you very much. This type of info is why I love this site!

JamieZ

Quote from: johnnycharger on May 30, 2015, 02:19:58 PM
Wow! That took less than 5 minutes and made a huge difference!  Thank you very much. This type of info is why I love this site!

Great, glad it helped!

To be fair, I got the the tip from 747mopar over on FABO :)  He was kind enough to comment on my build thread over there when I talked about potentially replacing mine

JR

Got my 70 ready for the spray booth today. Hopefully ill have it base/cleared/buffed this week.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

myk

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr