News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Thanks!  I just finished all the paintwork and will start reassembling it.  The frame is already done, but I have yet to repair the trim.

The silver is a dead match for the stock color.  I had a grille bucket that was in excellent shape so it was easy to compare.  The silver had a fine metallic in it which makes it look way better than the pictures do.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ikbrown

Right on, that's good to know. Mine is in pretty good condition but there is some black overspray from previous paint jobs and such so I imagine mine wouldn't be very accurate to compare against. Good to know it's a great stock match - I think the paint looks great in your photos, and you can get a sort of hint at the metallic in the paint - I'm sure in person it's even better. thanks

68 VIPER CHARGER

Just took the 68 out for a drive in 60 degree weather.  Nothing like gripping the viper stearing wheel and shifting the T-56 Viper 6-speed Transmission :2thumbs:

VegasCharger

Quote from: NHCharger on December 13, 2015, 07:59:03 PM
Cutting the rot out of the passenger quarter today.

Good work :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

What did you do to get the quarters to bare metal? Sand disc? Chemical? Just curious because I want to do that to mine without doing any damage. :cheers:

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

JR

After experiencing the truly god awful handling of my stock suspension at the autocross, I've began my first round of handling upgrades with a Hellwig 6909 7/8ths rear sway bar.

(I've straightened up the brackets since the pic was taken.)

Really seems to have helped alot. It's starting to feel like the front and rear end are connected to each other now. I think it needs bigger Torsion bars and a bigger front sway bar next. (The front end feels WAY undersprung) And decent shocks. And quick ratio steering....

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

I lifted the car cover slightly followed by mixed emotions. Happy to actually own a Charger but dissapointed it has been sitting unfinished and neglected for the last 3 years.

XH29N0G

Hang in there, if it fits with your state of mind.   Mine sat unfinished for 11 years, with me trying to save money and get it back on the road.  Before that it sat for another 14 (at my parents) while I lived in apartments and we all went through episodes where we wondered whether the car should have been sold.  All are glad that didn't happen.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Thanks, I'll get there one day. I just need to get the spark back that I had when I started on the car. My story is your typical shop horror story.  When I got it back home into the corner it went, and has been there since.

After I get my Fairlane back on the road I need to re-focus my piorities and finish the Charger. I could be out enjoying it instead of being depressed that it's not finished.

Bobs69

Quote from: XH29N0G on December 21, 2015, 07:16:20 AM
Hang in there, if it fits with your state of mind.   Mine sat unfinished for 11 years, with me trying to save money and get it back on the road.  Before that it sat for another 14 (at my parents) while I lived in apartments and we all went through episodes where we wondered whether the car should have been sold.  All are glad that didn't happen.

So, are you suggesting in my case, that I don't need to feel depressed about it and seek help trying to decide if it's time to let go?

polywideblock

Quote from: 440 on December 21, 2015, 06:32:39 AM
I lifted the car cover slightly followed by mixed emotions. Happy to actually own a Charger but dissapointed it has been sitting unfinished and neglected for the last 3 years.

you'd be suffering "dollar shock" every time you turn around too   :o   :yesnod:   I know ,  its brutal   :eek2:

easier to work on your ozzy toy , at least your dollar is worth a dollar    :rofl:

:cheers: 

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

JR

As an xmas present to myself, I finally ordered an EFI kit, no more carbs for me! (Hopefully.)

Ordered the 600hp rated "Power Adder" unit from FiTech.

And an efi ready tank with a 255 lph walbro fuel pump.

I cant wait to destroy the stupid carb I have now.  The satisfaction of trashing that thing should ease the pain in my wallet now.

Dino

Quote from: JR on December 22, 2015, 09:29:13 PM
As an xmas present to myself, I finally ordered an EFI kit, no more carbs for me! (Hopefully.)

Ordered the 600hp rated "Power Adder" unit from FiTech.

And an efi ready tank with a 255 lph walbro fuel pump.

I cant wait to destroy the stupid carb I have now.  The satisfaction of trashing that thing should ease the pain in my wallet now.

I always try to be happy for others and not be jealous in any way...but I really hate and envy you right now.   :lol:

Congrats and keep us posted on how the car performs.   :2thumbs:

JR

Lol, Dino.

If it helps, ive suffered with carbs on this car forever. I originally had a six pack (on a cast iron manifold), then went to an aluminum 4bbl setup for less weight and simplicity, and still couldnt get the stupid thing right.

The last straw was this past sunday. I accelerated up to speed on a 65 mph highway, and as soon as I hit half throttle, the car backfired and bogged. (Again).

Ill admit, im not the best when it comes to tuning them, but I really dont care either. I just want to turn the key and go.

Im so done with carbs.

Ill keep you posted.  :cheers:

Dino

It pains me that I will have to deal with carbs for a while longer.  Grad school is going to be expensive as hell so I can't spend a ton on the car anymore, and I still have to spend a few grrand to get it back on the road.  I'm buying one more carb in my lifetime and that's it!  That sucker will have to last until I graduate and get a job.  THEN it's EFI time.   :icon_smile_big:

ODZKing

Reading about carbs, I'll share a story. I see folks all the time with aftermarket stuff that they say doesn't run right and I always thought if it was factory (OEM) you wouldn't have that problem.
My 67, original AFB carb and intake and I have adjusted it and it has been running without issue for better than 10 years.
But my 73 ... also original (now) with TQ that no matter how hard I tried could not get to run right. I was ready to rip the thing off. Then someone suggested I got to this fellow who could adjust it properly. Not wanting to spend the money I resisted until it drove me nuts so one day I gave in.  I finally brought it to him and it now runs great.
So I guess the moral is if you have someone who is really good, not just "oh I can can adjust that close" ... but expert, it should run properly given the proper equipment with out defects.
:shruggy: That is what I have learned over the years.  I'm sure others will disagree but that is my  :Twocents:.

Ghoste

funknut

Slow progress, but progress!

New-to-me '68 Charger that I picked up back in October, was making a good deal of clattering.  Steering center link was against the oil pan, oil pan was a C-body unit, and the steering gearbox was leaking pretty badly, so I started on the bottom.

I found a few surprises, including a munched windage tray and a whole lot of mismatched bolts.

SO! New windage tray, oil pan and pickup installed.  Oil pan profile looks like it will get me another 0.5" clearance from the center link, so should be good there.

According to UPS, my steering gearbox should arrive from Firm Feel today.  I went with the Stage 3 rebuild.  Dennis was really great to work with and the turnaround time was much less than they forecasted.  In addition to the standard rebuild they needed to replace a bent sector shaft.  I asked if that could have been damaged in shipping (I packed it pretty well, but you never know), and he said that was unlikely and it probably took a pretty good hit earlier in its life.  He included the bent shaft, so I'm curious to see how bad it is.

Hopefully I can get everything underneath the car put back together this weekend or early next week!

NHCharger

Quote from: VegasCharger on December 16, 2015, 03:01:32 AM
Quote from: NHCharger on December 13, 2015, 07:59:03 PM
Cutting the rot out of the passenger quarter today.

Good work :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

What did you do to get the quarters to bare metal? Sand disc? Chemical? Just curious because I want to do that to mine without doing any damage. :cheers:

DA sander with 80 grit. The quarters only had their original coat of primer and paint with a half assed primer coat over. Didn't take long compared to the 5+ coats I had on my 68.
I'm sending the trunk lid, hood and fenders out to get media blasted. Much cleaner job and the guy loves 2nd gen Chargers so I get a real good deal from him.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

Passenger side quarter patches almost all welded in. Hoping to have the driver side quarter patches done by first of year.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

A383Wing

Replaced the front turn signal bulbs in the Daytona, and wired up the front side marker lights so they blink with the turn signals now....

71ChargerMike

Installed driver side inner and outer tie rods. Tried to get the length as close to original. Will need to get an alignment reguardless so it's not that big of a deal. Plus I work less than 3 miles from home so tires won't get hurt really. Next is the passenger side and idler arm. Still looking for a pitman arm.

rt_bigblock

I see they doing a six pack kit soon a bolt kit can't wait to see one ...

djcarguy