News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

My 440 is struggling with long idle and staying cool using just the new electric fan. I'm adding a shroud and mech. 19" fan using Hayden 2747 clutch. I'll test it out as I can use the electric fan as a pusher in front of the A/C condenser. With feels like temps running over 103 here it's sweet to have A/C finally!

johnnycharger

I saw a statement on one of the threads (sorry I don't recall which thread or who stated it) where someone mentioned to check that the carb is opening all the way up when the pedal is floored. Some one else chimed in to the effect that that is a common found problem in their shop.....  I decided to check that and my throttle cable as well as kickdown linkage. Wow! I got an awesome power increase from that! I knew my car has been seeming under powered and is slowly getting better but this was a huge jump in the right direction and one of those obvious things that make me want to slap my forehead for not thinking to do it sooner.

cdr

Quote from: johnnycharger on August 17, 2016, 08:21:35 AM
I saw a statement on one of the threads (sorry I don't recall which thread or who stated it) where someone mentioned to check that the carb is opening all the way up when the pedal is floored. Some one else chimed in to the effect that that is a common found problem in their shop.....  I decided to check that and my throttle cable as well as kickdown linkage. Wow! I got an awesome power increase from that! I knew my car has been seeming under powered and is slowly getting better but this was a huge jump in the right direction and one of those obvious things that make me want to slap my forehead for not thinking to do it sooner.

:icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

road/track

-71 Charger SE original 440, 4-speed, track pack. Finally I got it sandblasted! no surprises, this is a turning point, will be painted in it's original EV2
-1971 Charger SE U-code 4spd track pack, one of 29...
-1971 Charger R/T 440 6 pack auto
-1961 Chrysler 300G CV, one of 337
-2014 BMW 435i M-sport

comet_666

I had my leaking adjustable prop valve replaced, put in my new 26" wizard radiator with the 1.25 in tubes and monkeyed with the throttle linkage (http://bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/589) and (http://bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/586/5334). Driving around town it stayed around 183 degrees and stuck in traffic went to 197. As soon as I was moving again it went back down quick to around 183. It used to run on the expressway at about 195 -200 range
I have now experienced wide open throttle!!!! Bad part is this setup on my Quickfuel HR850VS doesn't seem correct. Almost like its sticks a bit at first and the geometry is off somehow with that linkage setup.
But was the first drive out in it to dinner with my beautiful girlfriend tonight!

cdr

Quote from: comet_666 on August 17, 2016, 08:00:58 PM
I had my leaking adjustable prop valve replaced, put in my new 26" wizard radiator with the 1.25 in tubes and monkeyed with the throttle linkage (http://bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/589) and (http://bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/586/5334). Driving around town it stayed around 183 degrees and stuck in traffic went to 197. As soon as I was moving again it went back down quick to around 183. It used to run on the expressway at about 195 -200 range
I have now experienced wide open throttle!!!! Bad part is this setup on my Quickfuel HR850VS doesn't seem correct. Almost like its sticks a bit at first and the geometry is off somehow with that linkage setup.
But was the first drive out in it to dinner with my beautiful girlfriend tonight!

I have the same set up, mine did the same thing , just off idle it was sticky, it was my accelerator cable, I ordered  one made of stainless  from Mancini , it was pricey.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

comet_666

I hate that word. Pricey lol.
Good to know I'm not the only one with these symptoms CDR.

I have an Edelbrock RPM intake so my new stock one was too short. Found one off a slant 6 somewhere which is what is on it now. I may have to find something else.

Dino

Painted the HP exhaust manifolds with Eastwood's high temp stuff. Installed the manifolds without gaskets but with a coat of ultra copper to fill the imperfections in the manifold flanges.

Installed the new MP valve covers to match the air cleaner I already had. They look real nice but they're a pain to install. Some of the bolt heads are so close to the cover there's hardly any room for a 1/4" socket. I have the Moroso Perm-Align gaskets so hopefully snug will do, although I doubt this damn thing will ever stop leaking.   :lol:
I should probably start looking for bolts with a smaller head or something, or an allen head.

I used the oil cap hole for the PCV valve. I ended up buying a grommet from a Ford place which fits perfectly in the hole. Part number C7AZ-6892 if anyone needs one.
I still have to buy a twist on breather for the driver side which will double as the oil fill cap.

Since I didn't have to drill either of the machined circles on the covers I decided to paint them so the fins run through. Looks better now!

New NGK XR5 plugs are in as well.

Also installed another speedometer pinion gear so hopefully the speedometer will read a bit more accurate. Poured about 3 quarts of atf in the trans, I had already put about a quart in the converter.

Cooler lines are installed but i need to buy the bracket to hold the lines to the trans. And I need to run the nss wiring over the trans and up to the bulkhead connector. This would have been easier with the trans out of the car but I didn't know that's where it was supposed to go. Lesson learned.

Somehow I got caught on one of the metal straps that wrap around the heater hoses and it broke so I'll have to get another one.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

69wannabe

Lookin good Dino, sorry my recommended grommet didn't work out for you!!  I got to drive mine around a bit today, it's been blocked in by a jeep wrangler with a bad transmission for the last two weeks and I haven't been able to get it out of the shop. I thought that the transfer case was bad but it turned out to be a bad transmission instead. I got the transmission out saturday morning and dragged the jeep back out of the way so I could get my car out. I really need to give it a good bath again but I haven't been able to drive it in a couple of weeks so going for a ride was more important than washing it for today!!!

Dino

I think the grommet would have worked actually, but while looking for it I found the Ford grommet and figured that one had to work which it did.   :2thumbs:

qwick68

Bought the correct passenger side valve cover and a date coded intake manifold, will sandblast both and paint soon, other than that not much.....haven't taken the cover off since early June
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

67Charger440

Finally getting settled into my new house and more importantly, a real shop.  This means I can resume work on the '68.  First up was paring down the harness that I took from the '98 Ram that donated it's 5.9L drivetrain.  Many hours studying the service manual, wiring diagrams, creating new schematics and rearranging the remnants into what they need to be.  The huge power distribution box and junction box fuse panels are gone in favor of the Bussman mini-fuse and mini-relay panels.  I have the harness pared down and am in the process of assembling the fuse/relay panels.  Next will be mounting them under the center of the dash on a hinged drop-down panel and readjusting the wire lengths for the most sano routing possible.  I am perpetually frustrated and embarrassed by the spaghetti mess under the dash of the '67.

I pulled the cover back a bit to have a look and remind myself the car was still there :lol: unfortunately it's not going to fix itself.

cdr

Ordered a Strange Dana 60 from Cass @ DrDiff, 3.54 gear , STrac carrier,  1/2x3 wheel studs & swapped the yoke for a 7290 u joint, painted it with chassis black,
now waiting for my body to recover from the work thus far, I hope to install next week.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

UH60L

Took my '69 to the Carousel Car show in Salem Oregon and be danged if I didn't win a trophy for "Best Work In Progress"!  One of the coolest trophies I've ever won too.

UH60L

Sadly it started raining as the trophies were handed out (you can see some water on my roof in the trophy pic...).

71charger_fan

I took the Charger to a car show yesterday. Turns out they judge almost completely on condition and cleanliness. Consequently, the top 30 went largely to new Challengers and Mustangs. I should've taken the 2015 Scat Pack.

VegasCharger

Quote from: 71charger_fan on September 04, 2016, 07:52:16 AM
I took the Charger to a car show yesterday. Turns out they judge almost completely on condition and cleanliness. Consequently, the top 30 went largely to new Challengers and Mustangs. I should've taken the 2015 Scat Pack.

That's an FN joke, an FN disgrace to the car shows. They should at least group the newer cars by themselves and let them fight it out.

Dino

Painted and installed the radiator, shroud, and a/c condenser. I'm going to get new bolts for the valve covers. Some of the bolt heads are too close to the cover for me to get a socket on there. I think ARP 12 pts might do the trick. That or socket caps.

I put my old TQ on there just so I could see the air cleaner in place with the matching valve covers and I like it!

A/C is all hooked up now as well.

It's all coming together nicely. Or at least it was. I'm starting school again on Wednesday so on the back burner this goes yet again.   :-\

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

XH29N0G

Dino, :2thumbs:

I pulled the transmission to send off to mill the tailhousing.  Now I am hoping I can put it back in once the work is done.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dino

johnnycharger

I have had horrible seats since I bought my charger in 98. I bought a passenger seat about 6 years ago that was in amazing shape. I finally found a driver to match. Unfortunately they are both black but still better then having completely ripped up ones with walmart seat covers on them.