News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric Fan Question

Started by gnrl01, February 05, 2006, 08:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnrl01

I am getting ready to purchase an electric Fan for my charger and want to know if anyone has an recommendations for me. Not sure if there is a particular brand or what i should get, Is this something I should get from Jegs or Summitt? I need a pusher fan that i can turn on when I need it, if I get into heavy traffic my 440 start to heat up when it is siting there. I just want to make sure I get a good quality one and big enough one...any help would be awesome.

Don
http://midwesthotrods.us/

dkn1997

ok, so you are looking for an auxilliary fan to help out your current engine driven fan?  sounds like it. 
I use a proform 2000 cfm model mounted on the front of my radiator.  It's wired to a relay and then a switch inside the centerconsole of my 68.

I installed mine when I was having a cooling problem and although it worked, it is a bandaid at best.  an engine driven fan should be able to cool even the most radical motors under any condition.  I finally traced my problem back the holley projection I was running.  It was either running way rich or lean at idle.  The problem appeared when I put the pojection on and disappeared when I went back to a carb.  anyway, along the way, I switched to an aluminum rad, ditched my underdrive pulleys, installed a shroud, used water wetter, bled the system many times, tried different T stats and nothing really worked.  a fixed flex fan finally got it under control and the auxilliary electric pusher helped also. 

my point is that if you are considering this to solve a cooling problem, you might want to try other things first. 

If you go ahead with it, I have read that Zirgo makes a fan that they claim moves something in the neighborhood of 4000 cfm.  at least that's what they say.....spal makes really nice fans also
RECHRGED

myk

Just for the wow factor, I'd like to ditch the engine fan altogether, but I wouldn't trust my cooling system to just one electric fan.  With the mechanical, as long as the engine is running the fan is turning...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

69chargeryeehaa

just a thought, a cheap way to get a electric fan would be the wreakers, go in to one of those wreakers that let you "browse" around and look in toyotas, hondas, ect... preferably one that was rear-ended!!!! they usually have really low profile/high cfm fans because they don't have a pulley driven fan at all, get a few for like $20 and just fab up a bracket to mount them infront of the rad, wire in a switch and fuse/relay and tada, done.... i have mine setup on a manual switch i flip if i hit traffic on a really hot day just for that extra cooling and insurance.  i also have the stock pulley driven fan, and never overheat.  just giving you a low cost alternative :icon_smile_big:

clausoe

Here's what i mounted after my stock fan went through the radiator. Got it from the wreckers from a citroen xm or something. It's only temporary but it's worked so well it's been there for 3 years now.