News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just got dash back from paint - Finally making progress

Started by 440, August 28, 2012, 08:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just got my dash frame and steering column back from paint and I'm not terribly fussed on the color or sheen. The color is a shade lighter then the vinyl/plastic pieces and they painted it semi gloss. It doesn't look bad at all but it is noticeable in direct light.

My wife is probably one of the most picky car people I know and she thinks it's fine, and that I'm being overly anal :shruggy:  What to do........?

I'm also pondering whether to assemble the dash fully then install it, or install it piece by piece like I took it out. I think better results will be achieved by installing it completed. Who likes which method?

bill440rt

If you're not 100% satisfied with the dash color or sheen, then re-do it. Now is the time, not when it's back in the car.  :yesnod:

Much easier to assemble the dash & install as a unit. Leave the glove box liner out though until later. Much easier to route other wires & stuff to the fuse box with it out.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Having it re-done is the problem when farming things out, paying twice to paint the same item.

bill440rt

I hear you, but it's something you'd have to take up with the body shop or whoever painted it for you.
Did you specify to them what the end result was supposed to be like? Finish, sheen, etc? No body shop I know of wants to see a dissatisfied customer.

Or, you live with it. Only you can make that decision.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

I left a few of the dash pieces with them so they could match it to them, I also mentioned on a couple of occasions that it should be a flat finish. In low light it looks like a match, but in bright light you can see there is a difference. It looks good but I think they could have done a better job matching the paint.

He said he can re-paint it but the flattening agents (talc based) don't hold up as well to the sun and heat. Is there any truth to this?

resq302

Im sorry but I don't buy the whole "flattening agents don't hold up well to the sun" bit.  There are cars out on the market now and even after market accessories that have flattened parts, even black which absorbs sun and heat and you don't hear any issues with the paint on them.  Just my opinion, but it is almost like an out for him not to have to redo the stuff.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Here is a picture.

I know what happened and it's frustrating when people don't listen.

I told him before that the color he mixed was wrong, that it was too light, but it's ok for the doors, but the dash is darker.

Anyways, it's a dead match for the doors. He didn't alter it for the dash like I advised on a couple of occasions.

Unfortunately I'll have to eat the cost if I want to get the rest painted.

Ghoste

If it bothers you now, its likely only going to bother you more after when its more difficult to fix and it is something you will see everytime you get in the car.

DC_1

I would re shoot it. You are going to regret it later if you don't.

Why don't you prep it yourself then all he has to do is mix up the paint and shoot it. Seems like a reasonable compromise since you told him repeatedly the colour was wrong

FLG

Do it once do it right, if your not happy either do it yourself or find someone more competent.

resq302

I have to agree.  If you asked him to color match it and he didn't why are you responsible for paying him twice?  If you go to a mechanic and they put in the wrong oil when you ask for synthetic, do you pay for a second oil change or do you make them fix it at their cost or supply?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

I'll head down there tomorrow to finish the firewall prep and ask about getting it redone.

I dropped the two defroster vents off to get painted darker ALONG with the dash. I also supplied the dash pad for the correct color match, but he matched it to the vents instead. I told him the vents were the wrong color but either he forgot or didn't listen.

Hopefully it won't take a year to get redone as it has taken that long to get them in the first place. I know he doesn't really want to do my car as he is trying to steer away from the larger jobs, but unfortunately my car got stuck on the tail end of it all. I wish he turned me away rather then drag it on.

Ghoste

Ouch!  You're right, hopefully not.  Good luck.

tan top

Quote from: Ghoste on August 28, 2012, 06:56:45 PM
If it bothers you now, its likely only going to bother you more after when its more difficult to fix and it is something you will see everytime you get in the car.

:yesnod:   true
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

resq302

Quote from: 440 on August 29, 2012, 05:05:22 AM
I'll head down there tomorrow to finish the firewall prep and ask about getting it redone.

I dropped the two defroster vents off to get painted darker ALONG with the dash. I also supplied the dash pad for the correct color match, but he matched it to the vents instead. I told him the vents were the wrong color but either he forgot or didn't listen.

Hopefully it won't take a year to get redone as it has taken that long to get them in the first place. I know he doesn't really want to do my car as he is trying to steer away from the larger jobs, but unfortunately my car got stuck on the tail end of it all. I wish he turned me away rather then drag it on.

You said it yourself.  It sounds like it is time to find a different body person!  If he doesn't really want to do the car, imagine what kind of short cuts he will do on the big project.... the body and paint.  Right now you are essentially looking at pennies with parts but when it comes to welds popping if you have new sheet metal put on or paint not bonding and then peeling off at a later date, it will get expensive REALLY fast in short amount of time.
Brian

Funny you say that as I'm a bit worried now if he'll listen on the larger stuff. He's replacing the rear tail panel and valance. I told him the corner cap seams remain open but it would interesting to see if they get filled in.

If I pull the car out now and find another shop there is most likely another 12 month wait to get in, so  :shruggy:  I don't think he would cut corners as his work is excellent, plus I do most of the prep work so I see the work being done nearly every step.

It's a sucky situation.

resq302

Yes it is and I would hate to be in your situation.  This is one reason why I purchased a car that had all of the body work and paint done prior to buying the car.  That has to be one of the biggest headaches trying to get through..... finding a good body man is like hitting the lottery!  I know lots of places than can rebuild an engine, trans, rear, or whatever.  Body work and paint is a different story.

I wish you all the best with whatever decision you come out to but I would be very leary about having him do the rest of the work EVEN if he has good work, it seems as if he does not want to be bothered with working on it.  If his whole heart isnt into doing the work, imagine what kind of results there might be.
Brian

tylerk

For what its worth, I ordered my dash paint from TCP Global in the correct factory tan/suede. Every time I tried to have a pad matched it never came out right, but what I ordered is on the money.  The pics don't quite do it justice (looks darker in person), but here they are...

Also, the lower pads were painted with SEM Bluebird Brown which matched an original glovebox lid I'd seen almost perfectly.

Patronus

I thought the dash color looked fine, your call though.
You do NOT want to paint the dash any shade of gloss.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Well, although he called me fussy he said he'd respray the frame. I showed him the darker pads and he agreed the color was off. I'm going to drop the parts off tomorrow which he said he'll do over the weekend. Fingers crossed.

My blue fairlane has a semigloss dash and the glare in the right conditions is unbearable.

Your dash frame looks great Tyler.

resq302

If he says that you are fussy, see how fussy he gets if you give him fake $100 bills then call him fussy.  Bottom line is that you want what you are paying for, not what he wants.  If he wants to do it a certain way then he should buy your car!
Brian

tylerk

I agree, if someone tells me I'm fussy because one of the MOST visible parts of the car is off, especially one that purists will let you know right quick that it's not the correct sheen or shade, I'd walk.  There's someone out there who will want to do it the RIGHT way. We put a lot of stupid money into these cars, I'm glad you're having him respray it! Hope it comes out right for you this go around.

bill440rt

Good to hear you are getting this straightened out.
The flattening agent/UV excuse is BS. Major paint manufacturers have flattening agents & pre-flattened clears specifically designed to match OE matte finishes. They've been out for a long time.

FWIW, if you're doing this to match an OE finish, it shouldn't be a smooth, flat finish with a base/clear. It should be a single-stage with a slight texture to it known as a "suede" finish. If it's just the color you're worried about, then the base/clear will work fine.

It should be textured like Tylers, similar to the organasol tail panel. I think I'll just have him spray it flat.  I know it wouldn't be 100% correct but 98% of the population wouldn't pick it, plus it will be easier to clean.

All I really have left to do is finish restoring my heater buttons and find a cardboard light shroud, then the only thing left to do is assemble it. It's exciting really at the prospect of finally seeing all the hard work, headaches and financial strain over the last year come together.

Dropped off the parts today so hopefully I'll have them by next weekend.

I also finished up the firewall today with Rust Bullet and I must say it's pretty knarly stuff. It's like painting with anti-size. Not too impressed with the finish of the brushing it on method but it's the only way really to get in all the seams etc, plus it's less messy with a full interior still in the car. At least it's completely protected now and I'll never have to worry about it again.

I've pretty much finished up my control buttons today too, all I need to do is give them a quick coat or two of clear and they are done. I'll post them in my heater box thread in a couple of days as they've come up a treat so far.

Once I get my parts back from him again and he paints the final coat on the firewall it can all go back together. Really looking forward to finishing it as I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.