News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

good sander for stripping paint???

Started by original72, February 05, 2006, 06:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

original72

looking to get a jump start on the body work on the car and was wondering if this would be a good sander to strip off the paint and rust scale..... as i want to avoid using chemical strippers....

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1527442953.1139180376@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedaddgmeghikkcgelceffdfgidglo.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+3966&pos=n24

it is a dewalt 5 inch heavy duty random orbit sander

Thanks
Bill

Troy

Whatever you linked to didn't work for me but I was able to find it with a search. For paint and rust removal, I've been using the 3M Clean 'N Strip wheels as they hold up well, clean compound curves and crevices, and aren't a really harsh abrasive so the metal stays intact. I can use them in my electric drill  - even cordless if I'm stuck up in the car. For the most part I think D/A and random orbital sanders are nice to have though. They seem to work really well on the larger panels and are definitely faster than hand sanding. Watch the grit on the sandpaper so you don't dig in and be very careful on/near and body lines so you don't sand them off.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bill440rt

If sanding is your method of choice, & if you have an air compressor large enough, I'd recommend a large 8" DA sander with 80-grit for the large flat areas. If there are areas with heavier body filler, go to a 36-grit for fast removal.
Dirty & dusty, but effective.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

4402tuff4u

One thing my body guy explained to me about body lines on Chargers is that he tells his guys to sand towards the body lines but never go over them. So on the top section of the sides, sand downwards. On the lower sections, sand upwards.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"