News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Horn Button Not Working - Steering Wheel To Far Away? - RESOLVED!

Started by Johnnys440Charger, August 30, 2012, 03:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnys440Charger

My horn button is not working, is it because my steering wheel is mounted too far away? (69 Charger - Woodgrain 3 spoke Steering Wheel - Factory horns).  It works when I push in the gold rolling spring pin with a flat screwdriver.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I would suspect more that the brass contact ring on the steering wheel is dirty.....

Try and get some emory cloth (sandpaper) inbetween the brass roller & contact & rotate the wheel to scuff/clean the contact....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Nacho-RT74

bside that, roller can be worn in center, making lots of play.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chryco Psycho

is the snap ring off below the brg allowing the shaft to move up too far ?

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Johnnys440Charger

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 30, 2012, 04:02:42 PM
I would suspect more that the brass contact ring on the steering wheel is dirty.....

Try and get some emory cloth (sandpaper) inbetween the brass roller & contact & rotate the wheel to scuff/clean the contact....

I'll try to sand that up today.

Johnnys440Charger

Quote from: elacruze on August 30, 2012, 07:31:49 PM
Move your seat up some.

Yes, I think your suggestion might just work.  :rofl:  Anyways.....  ;D

Johnnys440Charger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 30, 2012, 07:26:12 PM
is the snap ring off below the brg allowing the shaft to move up too far ?

I'm not sure what you mean.   The snap ring behind the steering wheel?  Its still on.   See pic

Chryco Psycho

on the steering shaft there are 2 snap rings one above & one below the bearing under the turn signal switch , does the stering shaft have any movement up & down ??

ACUDANUT

If it makes you feel better, none of my horns work. My middle finger works just fine.  :smilielol:

Johnnys440Charger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 01, 2012, 09:35:48 AM
on the steering shaft there are 2 snap rings one above & one below the bearing under the turn signal switch , does the stering shaft have any movement up & down ??

Let me check.

Johnnys440Charger

Quote from: Johnnys440Charger on September 01, 2012, 05:01:57 PM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 01, 2012, 09:35:48 AM

Let me check.

Looks like the snap rings are there.  There is no movement on the shaft.

Johnnys440Charger

After taking a second look my first pic indicates a problem with the horn wire.  Can you see it here - See yellow arrow.

Johnnys440Charger

A better view with the horn wire exposed.

Johnnys440Charger

To me, it looks like the spring cam roller wheel is too short or broken.   However, I have nothing to compare it to.  Thoughts?   Is it broken?

Johnnys440Charger

Elegant, simple, quick workaround.

My horn now works!!!!  

;)  :o  :cheers:  :icon_smile_cool:  :icon_smile_big:  ;D  :yesnod:   :2thumbs:

Ghoste

TexasStroker

So you moved the ring up?  I've had hit and miss with all horns, 90% of the time it is just cleaning up the contacts on the horn end...Some aftermarket buttons tend to have a sweet spot too, lol.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Johnnys440Charger

So the issue was that black wire wasn't making contact with the brass push spring cam roller wheel.   Thus not making the ground connection which the horn button needs.

All I did was move the black wire from the original mounting location through brass push cam wheel just in front .

Perhaps if the steering wheel was mounted further in - it may have helped to make contact.  To the best of my ability, the steering wheel is mounted as close as possible.

Ghoste

Congrats on getting it to work then.  It feels good to beat the little hurdles on the car doesn't it?

Johnnys440Charger

Oh yeah, it feels awesome.  Especially after tickering with it over a couple of days - Oh and living with the issue for 3 years.  :-)    :o

It never really bothered me to not have a horn up until now.   Strange.....