News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaf Spring Front Bushing Installation

Started by twenty mike mike, September 03, 2012, 11:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twenty mike mike

I have the old bushing out, including the shell (drilled out the rubber, ripped the remnants out, then used a reciprocating saw to section the shell). The only post I've seen regarding installation is that "it's easy," but that is not my experience. I have a 2x4 between the spring eye and the frame rail to keep the spring steady, but I can't even start the bushing into the eye. I'm tempted to use a large C clamp as a press, but I wonder if that would rip the rubber away from the shell.

Any suggestions?

Ghoste

Tough doing it with the spring still in the car like that but yeah, you are going to need something like a c clamp to work as a press.  They are a tight fit for sure and you may want to use a little bit of something in there to lubricate it a tad.

twenty mike mike

OK, thanks. I did grease the eye and bearing shell, so it's off to Home Despot for a Chinese C clamp.

twodko

A 3/4" Jorgesen pipe clamp will be easier to crank hard on, just use a short piece of pipe.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

69rtse4spd

Could use a big enough bench vice, but will need help holding the spring. Be sure to use two blocks of wood on either side, so you don't damage the spring.  I used my press but p.i.t.a. tyring to hold the spring myself, got it done though.

twenty mike mike

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally took it to the muffler shop I use, and he pressed it in with his hydraulic tubing bender.  :2thumbs: It might just be the placebo effect, but the rear does seem tighter, now. I'll take the other spring off next week and have him press in the other new bushing. The price is right! Gratis.

Ghoste

Good idea.  I can't imagine trying to do it with the spring in the car and manually like that.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Stretch

I worked in a spring shop for 15 years. Take the bushing and throw it in the freezer overnight. Put some kind of lub on the outside of the new bushing and pull it in with a c-clamp or a bolt through the eye and a old bearing race and a flat washer on the other if you are doing it in the car. If it's out use a press. (if you have one avalible).
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!