News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

400 heads

Started by frogman73, September 03, 2012, 03:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frogman73

I want to put some good aftermarket heads on my 400 block. any suggestions or ideas out there

John_Kunkel

Just about all of the aftermarket heads are "good" but, if your 400 still has the stock compression, I'd look for the smallest combustion chamber you can find.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

You said 400 block. Are you building something or do you have an engine already together?

frogman73

Thats what my car has in it now .

heyoldguy

What are your immediate goals and long term goals?

BSB67

Get some Stealths.  Cut 0.060" and intake surface to match.  Back cut the valves, and put a good comp valve grind on them,  use a 0.027 head gasket.  If you have adjustable valve train, put a small solid cam in.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

And then add a nice stroker kit.  ;)  (hey, why not?)

frogman73

Thats what im wanting to add a stocker kit it looks like 440.com have some nice kits.

heyoldguy

Quote from: heyoldguy on September 03, 2012, 06:01:24 PM

Again, what are your immediate and long term goals. There are many good aftermarket aluminum heads and they have different areas where they are most appropriate. Street, race, economy, power, looks, budget?

cdr

Quote from: heyoldguy on September 06, 2012, 05:26:02 PM
Quote from: heyoldguy on September 03, 2012, 06:01:24 PM

Again, what are your immediate and long term goals. There are many good aftermarket aluminum heads and they have different areas where they are most appropriate. Street, race, economy, power, looks, budget?
heyoldguy is trying to help you
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

frogman73

I want this to a driver but I want to get some more HP nothing crazy but when I want to step on it I wanna feel I know the 73 was restricted in power I just want wake it up

Cooter

Quote from: frogman73 on September 07, 2012, 10:37:27 PM
I want this to a driver but I want to get some more HP nothing crazy but when I want to step on it I wanna feel I know the 73 was restricted in power I just want wake it up

1973 400....Pistons too far in the hole. Heads? Open Chamber....Low Compression= Low HP....Time to rebuild with far better parts. Stealth heads, Mild Hyd. cam, Headers, 700 DP Holley in a Performer RPM Intake, MSD ignition...A Stroker kit would work wonders as well.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

frogman73

Thanks I just need a idea what to start with :2thumbs: