News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Charger Suspension upgrades

Started by Purplecharger, September 05, 2012, 01:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purplecharger

Howdy suspension gurus! Got a 73 Charger 318 SE, with pretty worn out "everything"...

Next week I will be completing a heart-transplant on the car, injecting a fresh lightly tuned 360 engine from a local builder. Also planning to overhaul the suspension, to make sure steering and handling feels a little younger than 40 years ;-)

I was planning to buy a front end kit, torsion bars, leaf springs, Bilstein x 4 and sway bars from PST. Also looking at a power steering box from Firm feel. Brakes will get a general overhaul for now, as they seem to be working quite well.

Anyone done the same, or have any input on parts? Roads around here are curvy and hilly, so steering and suspension needs to be on top of its game...

WHITE AND RED 69

You have a good starting list there, Firm Feel and PST make great parts. I would recommend getting a set of tubular upper control arms, It will make the car A LOT more stable at speeds. Firm feel offers discounts on certain parts when you buy their front end kits so you could save some cash if you decided to order a set. Also add a set of subframe connectors to stiffen the car up, you will be glad you did.

Do you know what stage steering box you are going with? I'd go with a stage 2 or 3. I have a stage 3 in my 69 and the feel of it is great, a bit tough but good.   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

HPP

PST stuff is decent. I've used their rebuild kits before with good results. Only beef with them is they rate their t-bars as heavy duty or some such generic call out. See if you can verify the diameter to see how much of an improvement you are getting. Remember with a 73, you have the isolated suspension and a 1.0 bar for you has less rate than a 1.0 bar for a earlier model.

I'll second the subframe connectors as an integral part of the package. Without them you have a flexy foundation. I'd even add the aluminum sub frame isolators to the list as well.

Purplecharger

Subframe connectors, completely slipped my mind. Firm feel makes torsion bars also? I'd like to gather my orders with few companies, to hopefully save some cash on shipping cost etc.

I'd like the car to have a pretty low stance, also in the rear. Any ideas on spring setup for that?

WHITE AND RED 69

Firm Feel should have just about everything you need except for sub frame connectors. As for the rear Firm Feel sells leaf spring hanger brackets that can be set at stock height or lower the rear 1.5". Or you could just add a set of lowering blocks.

http://www.firmfeel.com/leafhang_b.htm
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

red79

One more caution about PST torsion bars, be wary of their 1.03" dia in-house model. They note in the description now that it is for 'lowering', what it amounted to on my 72 was that I could never get the front end height right. Tried multiple ways to line up the hex, either the adjuster was cranked so far in the tab was hitting the k-member and the nose was still in the weeds, or the adjuster would be backed all the way out with the nose 3ft off the ground. I messed with them for a year while working on other parts of the car, and eventually turned them in for a set of 0.96" MP bars--no problems since.

Not saying that the PST bars don't work, they just seem to be suited to applications where the goal is to drop the whole car down very low, possibly for looks or for handling.

EDIT: oops just remembered that 73-up use a different tbar than 72-back, so I suppose the above doesn't apply. Good luck with your build!

Purplecharger

Thanks for all the input. I sent a mail to Firmfeel for a price on all the goodies... What supplier is recommended for subframe connectors?

Ghoste

Isn't 73 the first year for that oval spring eye ISO suspension setup?  One of the best things you could do for handling is get rid of that stuff.

HPP

Quote from: Ghoste on September 06, 2012, 07:41:02 AM
Isn't 73 the first year for that oval spring eye ISO suspension setup?  One of the best things you could do for handling is get rid of that stuff.

Yes, it is. They also have isolated K frame mounts and the longer t-bars that also sit in an isolated mount on the rear of the t-bar crossmember.
Rear covnersions are easy as you simply use and earlier year spring and shock mount. This also allows you to use earlier model shocks. The fronts also are a simple R&R. Urethane or aluminum  bushings can be used to replace the stock rubbers. Front shocks are a bit more tricky to upgrade and finding good units, because of their twin bayonet mount, can be tough. You can mod the control arm to use 1st generation Camaro shocks, but it involves cutting and welding, which not everyone is hip to doing on their car.

Purplecharger

Learn something new every day!

I will wait for some feedback on prices etc, and will check back here before I order anything ;-)

Chryco Psycho

you should probably remove the rubber K frame isolators as well & install steel ones

dangina

bigger question - what is your budget? It helps to have a budget first before you start buying the wrong parts first.

Purplecharger

I can spend 2-3000, but no need to use it all if I don't have to. "most bang for the buck" applies ;-)

Ghoste

You should be able to make some large improvements within that price range.

bordin34

I spent around $800 to refresh my front end.
I got
- 1.06" tbars
- poly upper bushing
- rubber lower
- ball joints
- tie rods
- pol strut rod bushings
- KYB GR-2 Shock, they are awful but there isnt much of a selection
- control arm reinforcement plates, probably didnt need them and never will
- poly k member bushings
- aluminum tbar crossmember bushings

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Iron Chef

Sorry to be late to the party on this one, but wanted to add that I installed PST's kit on my '71 Super Bee.  I went with rubber bushings, Koni shocks and a Hellwig rear sway bar.  I was really pleased with the way the car handled after that.  Smooth ride (Konis at the lightest setting) but nice and flat around corners.  When the car comes out of paint, I'll be adding a set of 17x8" cast aluminum Magnum 500 wheels and BFG KDW tires.  I'm expecting great things from this combination.

:2thumbs:
Most of your life should be "off the record."

Purplecharger

Thanks, all input appreciated!

I'm still considering my options while waiting to get the car back from engineswap (hopefully on monday), and I like to get a few miles on the road before winter sets in. All going well I will have somewhere warm to work on the car during the snowy period ;-)