News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ceramic coated headers questions

Started by Pistolpete, February 06, 2006, 09:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistolpete

Need a set of headers for my 440 6 pack set up. Its just coming out of the shop and I would like to know the pros and cons of going ceramic coated or not? also, I'm told to go with the 1 7/8 sizing? is this correct? One catalogue I looked at actually had the CC headers but a tag line said excluding 440 6 pack - why would this specific engine be exempt like that?

thanks
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

doctorpimp

I don't see why not...same heads, etc.
Maybe Ron or Chryco would know...
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

firefighter3931

Quote from: doctorpimp on February 07, 2006, 02:42:35 AM
I don't see why not...same heads, etc.
Maybe Ron or Chryco would know...

I agree...all BB heads have the same bolt pattern. If they fit a 440 4bbl....they'll fit a 440 6-pack.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

8WHEELER

But what about the 440 Tri Power?     ;D ;D  Sorry I could not resist.   :icon_bs:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

is_it_EVER_done?

There is no reason whatsoever that a set of headers that are designed to fit a 440 would not fit exactly the same on a 6-pack.

As far as benefits of coated headers - much less heat transfered into the engine compartment (as much as 75+ degrees less in some tests), which is good for the longevity of all the other under hood components, and supposedly less rust issues.

1 7/8 inch would be fine, but smaller tubes will give you a little more torque, and also be a bit easier to install.

Pistolpete

Thanks Guys, I couldn't understand why they would exclude 6 pack cars either so just thought I'd ask.
I've ordered a 3" exhaust (complete except headers) from Year One, would that make any difference?
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

firefighter3931

Quote from: 8WHEELER on February 07, 2006, 03:15:31 AM
But what about the 440 Tri Power?     ;D ;D  Sorry I could not resist.   :icon_bs:

Dan

:D  You forgot 440 6bbl  :nana: :lol:  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RD

Quote from: Pistolpete on February 07, 2006, 07:45:36 AM
Thanks Guys, I couldn't understand why they would exclude 6 pack cars either so just thought I'd ask.
I've ordered a 3" exhaust (complete except headers) from Year One, would that make any difference?

if you motor is really stout, then 3" exhaust will not be a problem, but if yours is a stock rebuild then a 3" exhaust will actually cause you to lose hp and torque due to lack of proper backpressure.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander