News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Look what I found in my oilpan! Anyone seen this before? (pics)

Started by palindromes, February 06, 2006, 01:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palindromes

I've got a 383 2bbl from my '68 monaco parts car which was destined for the '68 charger.  I actually drove the monaco & it ran perfectly before I parked it, although the oil pressure light did flicker at startup when it was cold...I've had old cars that did this before & didn't think much of it.  The plan was to just clean it up & use it in the charger until I had the time/money to get something better.

I pulled the oilpan to clean it up a bit & found what appears to be a couple huge pieces of rod or main bearing (big piece is 2"x.75").  Is it possible for a piece of bearing this large to come off?  I've seen where bearings have burned up with smaller pieces falling into the pan, but nothing this big.  The only place I could imagine this is possible is on the front-most main where there's no connecting rod or counterweight next to it(2nd pic).  I suppose another option is that the bearings were previously replaced and the guy doing it accidentally dropped them into the pan...with a bearing completely missing I'd think the oil light would stay on constantly.

Anyways, I'll obviously have to start pulling caps to help see what happened, but was curious if anyone has ever seen this before?

beenaround

yes its pretty common to see that with a spun bearing.don't rule out a cam bearing either,although very rare it can happen.

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

69fuchs

Yes I have seen that same condition. 

My 68 newport 383 2 bbl had cam bearings in the oil pan.  I think mine was caused by the battleship valve springs that I installed, along with the engine having 100,000 miles on it. 

The car still ran great, and had good oil pressure.  I would have never known if I had not pulled the pan to replace a rear main seal!!!

8WHEELER

Rod bearings don't have holes in them like that, Cam bearings do...........

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

palindromes

I appreciate the feedback!  I pulled off the front main cap and that front bearing looked fine.  I think you guys are right that it's more likely a cam bearing.  Looks like I'll be pulling the camshaft to confirm that...at least its out of the car already.

Everything I've read indicates that replacing those cam bearings can be a pain.  If anyone knows of any special tricks to make it easier, please let me know.  Otherwise, thanks again for replies!

resq302

Quote from: palindromes on February 07, 2006, 07:11:08 AM
I appreciate the feedback!  I pulled off the front main cap and that front bearing looked fine.  I think you guys are right that it's more likely a cam bearing.  Looks like I'll be pulling the camshaft to confirm that...at least its out of the car already.

Everything I've read indicates that replacing those cam bearings can be a pain.  If anyone knows of any special tricks to make it easier, please let me know.  Otherwise, thanks again for replies!

my special trick would be to take the motor out and have someone who does this for a living install the bearings.  No need to guess how they go in and ruin a good motor.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

andy74

have your local machine shop do the cam bearings,it will save you money and time in the long run

palindromes

I called the local machine shop & they estimated $75(+materials) to replace the bearings if I have it ready with the cam removed, so that's definitely the route I'll go.  I've got a sad history of trying to do things I've got no business doing...I'll make sure this isn't latest addition. 
Thanks again

original72

thats still better then one time i pulled the pan on a 400 engine and found a piece o piston skirt sitting in there.....

resq302

Quote from: palindromes on February 07, 2006, 06:03:37 PM
I called the local machine shop & they estimated $75(+materials) to replace the bearings if I have it ready with the cam removed, so that's definitely the route I'll go.  I've got a sad history of trying to do things I've got no business doing...I'll make sure this isn't latest addition. 
Thanks again

Been there, done that, got the huge bill to prove it! :-\
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

AKcharger

You were just going to run it till you could afford to do it right correct? well if you can't afford to do it now just put it back together and drive it...you're going to rebuild it anyway right? It's a BB mopar, it can take it!!

Chryco Psycho

palindromes

I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider just throwing the motor in & pretend I never saw anything, but this was a rare occasion where common sense prevailed.

Anyways, the girls are all sleeping-in this morning, so I took the opportunity to sneak in the garage & get some work done.  I pulled the intake & timing cover & took a look.  Nothing obvious from the inside (although hard to tell with the cam still in place), but there's a noticeable gap around the cam when looking straight at the front of the motor.  I threw a shoplight in the lifter valley & snapped a couple pics.  They're a little blurry since my hands were shaking from the freezing garage, but you can easily see where plenty of light is coming through.

Is this most likely the culprit?  Can't tell in the pics, but it looks like there's a very thin bearing all the way around the block surface, but is it possible the inner surface of the bearing separated & came out?  (Didn't know if the bearings are different layers of metal or solid)  Guess it would make sense for the front bearing to get the most wear since it's brunting the force of the sprocket(?)

Next step is pulling the cam, but I hear my 2-month old crying, so funtime is over for now.

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

palindromes

I got the cam out...the front bearing looks worn out, but bearing #3 was the source of the chunks I found in the pan(pic below).

Case closed.  Thanks again for everyone's insight...identifying it as a cam bearing was right on.

Charger_Fan

I'm amazed that didn't make the oil pressure go to practically zero. :o That bearing missing would make quite the oil pressure hemorrhage, I would think.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Chryco Psycho

not good news but at least you know where the problem is !!

8WHEELER

:scope: You found the good and bad news, it could have been much worse.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.