News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which Headers Should I Get?

Started by oldschool_muscle, February 06, 2006, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschool_muscle

Im having trouble figuring out which headers I should buy. Every time I go online to just browse I find the set that I want and every time it says that they are compatable with a 383 or 440. What I am wondering is will these headers fit a 400. I am also wondering which set should I buy...like which would be the best bang for my buck. I am looking to spend liek up to $300 but dont really want to since I have seen some that are around $200.
- Tim
1973 Charger

cryotek

I have a set of Hooker Super Comp.  They flow great and sound even better.  You can get them uncoated for $300 or maybe less.  You may have a little clearance issue next to the ttranny pan but nothing a little bit of grinding won't resolve.

oldschool_muscle

But will the Headers that say that they fit 383 and 440 motors fit a 400? That's my biggest question.
- Tim
1973 Charger

doctorpimp

Quote from: oldschool_muscle on February 06, 2006, 11:20:07 PM
But will the Headers that say that they fit 383 and 440 motors fit a 400? That's my biggest question.
Yes. 
The only parts that differ between the B engines - 383, 400 and RB - 413, 426W and 440 are the intake manifolds.
Most performance companies only lst the two most popular on their products/catalogs - 383 & 440.
:apimp:
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

firefighter3931

Just be aware that most headers are generic in design. When using a one size fits all header like hooker/headman etc...they will hang down lower when bolted onto a 383-400 lowdeck as opposed to a 440 (raised deck) engine. Ground clearance is reduced and can be problematic. TTI makes a specific low deck header that tucks up nicely under the chassis. If you're building a mild 400ci combo then a 13/4 in header tube will work best. If it's going to be a stroker with some descent mods then you can probably upsize to a 17/8.

Rule of thumb: under 450hp...stay with a 13/4 primary tube to help produce torque....especially with a mild cam and low stallspeed/mild gears.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

is_it_EVER_done?

The actual distance that a header will be raised or lowered when installed on a B vs RB engine is only 1/2 inch, so clearance really shouldn't be an issue.

Hooker Comps are good while being quite inexpensive, but since they are only painted (as are all the less expensive headers), rust may be an issue depending on what area of the country you live in. If your in a rust prone area, you may be better off buying coated headers, although I have heard that even they rust in some areas. Another great thing about coated headers is that they don't transfer as much heat into the engine compartment.

Whatever way you go, your 400 is identical to a 383 as far as bolt on parts are concerned.

oldschool_muscle

Thanx for all the help guys. Il post up pics soon when the engine is done.

- Tim
- Tim
1973 Charger

71charger_fan

I got the Mopar Performance headers from Mancini. The fit very well and have been great. Now, after about 11 years they're pretty rusty and gross looking so they'll be coming out this spring. I think I'll probably go with Schumacher this time around but, for the price, the MP ones were great. They came in a Hedman Husler box. If I had known that's what they were before I bought them, I probably could have just bought the Hedman part number and saved some money.

Just think of the 400 as a big bore 383. External dimensions are the same.

oldschool_muscle

- Tim
1973 Charger

dkn1997

If you are anywhere near stock, HP manifolds will work fine.
RECHRGED

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: doctorpimp on February 07, 2006, 02:40:55 AM
Quote from: oldschool_muscle on February 06, 2006, 11:20:07 PM
Yes. 
The only parts that differ between the B engines - 383, 400 and RB - 413, 426W and 440 are the intake manifolds.
Most performance companies only lst the two most popular on their products/catalogs - 383 & 440.
:apimp:

Well more parts differ but nothing having to due with header fitment....   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip