News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to/where to source parts for 68' to 69' conversion

Started by STIG, September 11, 2012, 06:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STIG

Hey guys,

I know 'a lot' of you are against it but I've found something that I'm potentially going to buy, but I need to know how to & where to source the parts necessary for the; 68 to 69' front grille conversion, the side indicators and taillights (necessary for a complete 69' conversion). If anyone could recommend somewhere they know of where I could get (even some of) these parts, it would be greatly appreciated - I do not care where they are as long as they're in excellent condition/available.

Once again, I know you think it's mutany, but it has to be done as this is a very good opportunity if the deal does go through!

Please help!

Cheers  :2thumbs:

1969 Dodge Charger 'General Lee', 440 Six-Pack, Genuine Big Block, R/T SE

From way down South in the land of Kiwis.

Ghoste

If it's a deal too good to pass up, why not flip it and use the money to buy a 69?  You could source the taillight panel from AMD and the tail lenses can be had in the repro market but the rest of the 69 specific parts you will pretty much have to source through the used market I think.

Cooter

Grille will be your only hang up be it a 68, or a 69'....Grilles seem to get pricey if in good condition. There are some repro parts for grille, but as mentioned, are pricey.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

STIG

Hey Ghoste, a legitimate 69' hasn't come up in over a year of searching (the ones I've spent thousands on inspecting have either had lots of rust, bondo patches or just been too expensive in general for the quality of vehicle). I'd have a look in person, but being on the opposite side of the world makes it a little harder, so finding one locally is quite rare!

Cooter, we'd do whatever has to be done at this stage. If it's pricey, that's just something we'll have to factor in but it'll need to be done. So if anyone knows of someone selling a tidy 69' front grille, let me know!  :icon_smile_big:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I'd buy a 1969, no matter the perceived "good" deal. Too much BS to convert, then the seats are different, too ;)

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: STIG on September 11, 2012, 07:06:02 AM
Hey Ghoste, a legitimate 69' hasn't come up in over a year of searching (the ones I've spent thousands on inspecting have either had lots of rust, bondo patches or just been too expensive in general for the quality of vehicle). I'd have a look in person, but being on the opposite side of the world makes it a little harder, so finding one locally is quite rare!

Cooter, we'd do whatever has to be done at this stage. If it's pricey, that's just something we'll have to factor in but it'll need to be done. So if anyone knows of someone selling a tidy 69' front grille, let me know!  :icon_smile_big:

I've found a couple Chargers in this same time period, and passed on several more, because I am picky. They are out there. You just have to look all the time. But I understand your disadvantage of being overseas. Keep the faith  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

It can't be that inexpensive to clone it into a 69 either.  I suppose if you just do taillights and grille you get out not too badly depending on the price of hacking off the 68 tail panel, welding in the new one and then repainting but if you did it properly and gathered all the little parts from dash pad to side reflectors it had to be quite an undertaking, no?

Troy

*Assuming* you want it to look like a 69 in every way, you need a lot more than sheet metal and grill parts. If you buy a 68 that needs everything then it's no problem but if you buy one in nice condition there's a lot to change. Technically, the doors, fenders, quarters, hood, grill frame, rear valance, tail panel, and dash frame are different. Then there's the wiring harnesses for the different lights and ignition switch. Inside, the console tops, dash, dash pads, door pads, door panels, seat covers, gauge bezels, and shifter knob are all different. The grill itself is mostly the same except for the center plastic/trim and the hood latch mechanism so if you can get a 68 with a nice grill you're most of the way there. However, even the headlight vacuum canisters are slightly different between the two. If you don't have to pay to import a car then you're way ahead of the game I guess - but now you'll just have to import a giant pile of parts so it may be a wash. I say you're better off buying a nice 69.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

rebby

Quote from: Troy on September 11, 2012, 09:17:08 AM
*Assuming* you want it to look like a 69 in every way, you need a lot more than sheet metal and grill parts. If you buy a 68 that needs everything then it's no problem but if you buy one in nice condition there's a lot to change. Technically, the doors, fenders, quarters, hood, grill frame, rear valance, tail panel, and dash frame are different. Then there's the wiring harnesses for the different lights and ignition switch. Inside, the console tops, dash, dash pads, door pads, door panels, seat covers, gauge bezels, and shifter knob are all different. The grill itself is mostly the same except for the center plastic/trim and the hood latch mechanism so if you can get a 68 with a nice grill you're most of the way there. However, even the headlight vacuum canisters are slightly different between the two. If you don't have to pay to import a car then you're way ahead of the game I guess - but now you'll just have to import a giant pile of parts so it may be a wash. I say you're better off buying a nice 69.

Troy

I was thinking the same thing. Between 68 and 69 there are a pile of differences. If it were me, I'd just build the 68 and enjoy it as a 68 while still looking for a 69. In a way, that's what I've done. My favorite of the 3 are the 68 but I came across a 69 first so that is the one that I'm building. Perhaps one day I'll get a 68? Each year has it's own unique touch that really should be enjoyed for what it is.

That said, in the end it's your car and if you'd prefer a 69 and are willing to convert the 68, that's your call. If that is the case, take a close look at Troy's post and decide what parts will need to be swapped and what "inaccuracies" are acceptable. Generate a list of the parts that you want to swap and start sourcing parts one by one. Good luck!
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

C928BRAN

if you do convert it, its still a 68 with 69 goodies. it is no different than putting R/T emblems on. it dosent make it an R/T, but people do it. seems to me you would have alot of money tied up in changing it to a 69, than leaving it a 68. i think the 68 is a very cool car, and i have a 69.

Ghoste

If you drive it for a bit first you just may discover you like the differences enough to keep it as it is.

JB400

I agree. If you really really want a 69, maybe you just need to lower your expectations on what they are for the price.  Beggars can't be choosers.  Drive the 68 the way it is first.  Don't just drive it once and then want to change it.  Drive it everyday, (weather permitting) for a month, and then make your decision.  Or, buy the 68, drive it, enjoy it, and when the right 69 comes along, get it.  Just the thrill of owning a 2nd gen is well worth having. :2thumbs:

STIG

Wow, thanks again for all the responses guys! I want it to look like a 69' because it'll be converted into a GL clone. It is a tidy car though and has around 10k original miles on it.

I understand there is quite a fair bit involved, but if I can save around 30k on this, I can spend the difference making it a heck of a nice clone. We'll see anyway, almost convinced enough not to do it but I'll see what happens after looking at it and go from there. Might end up holding off! Though I'd need to fly to the States in person to check out the 69s because it's getting absolutely ridiculous with how much we're spending with no result  :rotz:

Ghoste

Unless you can find a trusted set of eyes over here.  That could save some headache for you. (and money)

JB400

If your just building a GL, do what Warner did. Change the grill, tail panel, and fill in the marker lights and have fun.  Don't sweat the small stuff unless you just like the looks more better.

Troy

So you're going to take a fairly nice, 10k mile 68 and hack it up to make a 69 GL? You may very well be saving money - until you need to sell it and your potential pool of buyers becomes tiny.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

JB400

Quote from: Troy on September 11, 2012, 07:13:58 PM
So you're going to take a fairly nice, 10k mile 68 and hack it up to make a 69 GL? You may very well be saving money - until you need to sell it and your potential pool of buyers becomes tiny.

Troy

For me, no way.  As I stated earlier, I personally would keep it a 68 and enjoy the car the way it is.  Only fix what needs fixing.  And when the right 69 comes along. get it and make it a GL.  But, it's his car and his choice. I'll either give him a thumbs up or just shake my head.

myk

I had no idea there were that many differences between the '68 and the '69.  I have a feeling that the 'OP was just looking to swap out the grills, tail, and delete the side marker lights and be done with it.  Conversely, I've always wanted to turn my '69 into a '68 clone.   Hey 'OP, want to trade parts?  Lol...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

JB400

I assume that it wasn't you that wanted to turn a 68 into a 69.  If what you said in the last post is true, just swap cars.  It'd save everyone the aggravation and everyone would get what they want.  everybody wins.  Just like it should be. :2thumbs:

myk

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 12, 2012, 01:12:45 AM
I assume that it wasn't you that wanted to turn a 68 into a 69.  If what you said in the last post is true, just swap cars.  It'd save everyone the aggravation and everyone would get what they want.  everybody wins.  Just like it should be. :2thumbs:

Nope, not me.  Are you guys getting aggravated?  Lol.  Honestly I wouldn't trade my '69 for all of the Mopars on the planet.  The grill/tail light treatment is as far down the list of 'mods as it can get...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

STIG

Sorry, just got back home. Myk, yes, I would definitely be interested in doing that (if we go ahead with the deal)... you'll be the first to know! I got distracted today and ended up buying something else for the collection, so that took up a fair chunk of the day... I'll be going to see it tomorrow, so we'll see what happens :icon_smile_big:

JB400

Quote from: myk on September 12, 2012, 02:18:30 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 12, 2012, 01:12:45 AM
I assume that it wasn't you that wanted to turn a 68 into a 69.  If what you said in the last post is true, just swap cars.  It'd save everyone the aggravation and everyone would get what they want.  everybody wins.  Just like it should be. :2thumbs:

Nope, not me.  Are you guys getting aggravated?  Lol.  Honestly I wouldn't trade my '69 for all of the Mopars on the planet.  The grill/tail light treatment is as far down the list of 'mods as it can get...
:brickwall: :mad: :spank: :soapbox: :smash: :smash: :ohhthesarcasm: :2thumbs:

djcarguy

i think,,, junior member  ,,,with stolen name from tv show=====troll   68 ta 69,,,,,less than 10,000 miles,,,,hack for d.a .h car====dumb   arse's  of hazzard?????????????????
????   totally kill resale and screw up a low mile car???      fly over,cause its cheaper than  pay for inspect????

low post count and is D.O.H.    FAN,,,dumby'S out of hazzard,,is it that big of deal on other side of WORLD?????????? : :Twocents: :Twocents: :popcrn: :brickwall: :brickwall: :shruggy: :smilielol:

myk