News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Swiss DMV not accepting Superbird wing

Started by swissmopar, September 16, 2012, 11:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

Quote from: Hemidog on September 17, 2012, 10:32:14 AM
I've heard that after 1945, the remaining administration from Germany fled to Switzerland, and began working in the DMV.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: in missouri also  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 17, 2012, 10:28:11 AM
Quote from: swissmopar on September 17, 2012, 05:27:14 AM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 16, 2012, 04:21:57 PM
Quote from: swissmopar on September 16, 2012, 01:07:25 PM
It had to withstand min. 1200Nm, and had to shear off at max. 2800Nm. I will post the graphic protocols soon. With 3 plastic bolts it withstand about 4000Nm.

What's Nm = Newton Meters?
What's that equate to in to an average human force? 
Is it about the same as a drunken bicyclist not seeing a giant orange car in front if him, slamming into your bumper at 20km/h , and launching him/her self neck first into the wing??  :eek2: :scratchchin: :D

1 Nm = 0.737562 lbs ft (poundforce feet)

Ok so max sheer of is 2800Nm = about 2,065 ft/lbs, right?
That seems like an aweful lot of force. More than enought to do some damage to some unsuspecting albeit dunce-headed person throwing him/her self at the wing, no ?

Yeah, wouldn't their feared decapitation take place well below that?

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Ghoste on September 17, 2012, 10:38:32 AM
It had to withstand min. 1200Nm, and had to shear off at max. 2800Nm. I will post the graphic protocols soon. With 3 plastic bolts it withstand about 4000Nm.

Is it about the same as a drunken bicyclist not seeing a giant orange car in front if him, slamming into your bumper at 20km/h , and launching him/her self neck first into the wing??  :eek2: :scratchchin: :D

That seems like an aweful lot of force. More than enought to do some damage to some unsuspecting albeit dunce-headed person throwing him/her self at the wing, no ?

Yeah, wouldn't their feared decapitation take place well below that?
Exactly! 
But not sure exactly how much force that is.

Dave Kanofsky

Good job, you fought the law and YOU won !!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

areibel

It makes me wonder what forces the wings were exposed to when they were running 200MPH+ at Daytona or Talledega back when?   I'd bet the engineers at Ma Mopar did their homework before bolting a wing on the first Daytonas or Superbirds.

stripedelete

Quote from: areibel on September 17, 2012, 01:33:38 PM
It makes me wonder what forces the wings were exposed to when they were running 200MPH+ at Daytona or Talledega back when?   I'd bet the engineers at Ma Mopar did their homework before bolting a wing on the first Daytonas or Superbirds.

Certainly.  It probably went something like: "Hey, toss me a few of those fender washers, would ya?" :smilielol:

JB400

I don't think anybody at any manufacturer were thinking about decapitating people with spoilers added to their cars.  Maybe an idea for a "Final Destination" movie or a zombie flick.  :eek2:

swissmopar

Right! I will soon publish the testing graph, it sheared off at 2781Nm - (just below 2800Nm) with only two plastic bolts. So you can imagine if you fix the wing with 4 steel bolts as the original this will shear off your rear fenders before you will loose the wing.

Yes be prepared - there will be all over "rolling heads" on the streets of Switzerland, hopefully some of the banker's heads - sorry! hahaha

charger Downunder

So they want it designed to fall off.
Has anybody ever been injured by a wing off a Superbird or Daytona.
[/quote]

Ghoste

Only if they fell off from sitting on it.

Hemidog

Lots of pinched fingers between decklid and wing?

Ghoste

And lets not forget the wounded egos of the non wing cars.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: charger Downunder on September 18, 2012, 04:44:42 AM
So they want it designed to fall off.
Has anybody ever been injured by a wing off a Superbird or Daytona.

Right, it's designed to "break away" . But my point is that the break away force with the fiberglass wing is still  a lot of force, and would still manage to injure someone, if in fact they impaled themselves on the wing in some freakish way. 

Ghoste

The whole thing is just bizarre.  Government nanny interference run amock (sic) but at least it all turned out for the good in the end.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Ghoste on September 18, 2012, 10:01:29 AM
The whole thing is just bizarre.  Government nanny interference run amock (sic) but at least it all turned out for the good in the end.

Oh indeed. 
Great follow through , not many car enthusiasts would go through all that trouble and hassle.
Kudos to Swiss Mopar for stickin' it out  :2thumbs:

odcics2

Quote from: stripedelete on September 17, 2012, 01:41:19 PM
It makes me wonder what forces the wings were exposed to when they were running 200MPH+ at Daytona or Talledega back when?   I'd bet the engineers at Ma Mopar did their homework before bolting a wing on the first Daytonas or Superbirds.

Certainly.  It probably went something like: "Hey, toss me a few of those fender washers, would ya?" :smilielol:

First attempt showed the need for support in the way of the large wing washer. Washer to trunk pan braces were then added.
For race use, that system failed, leading to the aluminum tubes running from inside the wing to the brackets bolted to the trunk pan.  Extra welds and reinforcements are also used. 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hemidog on September 18, 2012, 06:18:11 AM

And bumps on the back of your head when you get something out of the trunk.....  :brickwall:  I learned rather quickly not to stand straight up when pulling something out of the trunk...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

WINGIN IT

Quote from: hemi68charger on September 18, 2012, 09:36:22 PM
Quote from: Hemidog on September 18, 2012, 06:18:11 AM

And bumps on the back of your head when you get something out of the trunk.....  :brickwall:  I learned rather quickly not to stand straight up when pulling something out of the trunk...

Ha, will have to remember that ... :yesnod: DOH !  :slap:

swissmopar

Quote from: odcics2 on September 18, 2012, 09:07:03 PM
Quote from: stripedelete on September 17, 2012, 01:41:19 PM

First attempt showed the need for support in the way of the large wing washer. Washer to trunk pan braces were then added.
For race use, that system failed, leading to the aluminum tubes running from inside the wing to the brackets bolted to the trunk pan.  Extra welds and reinforcements are also used. 
Are there any pictures available from the race setup of the wing fixation in the trunk?

swissmopar

Quote from: bordin34 on September 17, 2012, 09:55:13 AM
Where is Switzerland are you. My cousin lives in or near St. Galen and can see the Lake of Constance from his house. I am also a Swiss citizen although I have never been there.
I live in Zürich, the biggest City of Switzerland. population appr. 400'000. St. Gallen is 50 mls from Zürich.

Aero426

Quote from: swissmopar on September 22, 2012, 10:31:28 AM

Are there any pictures available from the race setup of the wing fixation in the trunk?

Right side race car wing brace with safety cable.

Aero426

Left side wing brace on race car.    Fuel fill and overflow hoses also shown.

swissmopar

Quote from: Aero426 on September 22, 2012, 01:58:00 PM
Quote from: swissmopar on September 22, 2012, 10:31:28 AM

Right side race car wing brace with safety cable.
Never seen before, thank you so much for the pictures!