News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Swiss DMV not accepting Superbird wing

Started by swissmopar, September 16, 2012, 11:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swissmopar

Hi to everyone!

I give a follow up on the topic: Swiss DMV not accepting Superbird wing
see introduction to this topic on: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,79208.0.html

In the meantime I was stopped by the police driving my Superbird, so I hired a laywer, I had confirmations from other european countries (thank you for the support!!!), I tried on the legal way anything you could imagine - but they wanted to have a shear off testing of the wing.
Here in short what I had to do:
(1) A replica wing was produced from the original wing (1:1) in fiberglass
(2) A double savety cable ran up one support, then across the horizontal wing, then down the other side support and connected at the bottom of each wing brace in the trunk. The replica wing had only 2 mounting studs on the vertical supports and in place of the 2nd and 3rd were the safety cables.
(3) The wing was attached to the rear fenders with two plastic bolts (polyamide 6.6 - M8) on the 1st and 4th position of the original bolts.
(4) The testing took place on August, 28 2012 in the DTC Test center in the french speaking part of Switzerland.

I loaded the films from the shear off testing on Youtube please check them out:
http://youtu.be/g6svjKCinzc
http://youtu.be/UW4t3xOgmL0

Since last friday the car is legal also in Switzerland with the replica wing!

Here the total costs in U$:
(1) Police penalty U$ 750
(2) Laywer U$ 2500
(3) Replica wing U$ 3800
(4) Shear off testing U$ 5500
----------------------------------
Total: U$ 12550
==========

This testing is only valid for my replica wing. No other wing will be approved unless you have an exact replica of my replica wing - ... The original wing is on a save place  :icon_smile_big:
The replica wing will be painted and is back on the car next friday.

swissmopar

Some pictures.

ACUDANUT

You paid 12,500 US just to keep the wing ?...Holy Cow

JB400

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: For keeping the wing.  Their rules and regulations are nuts.

Ghoste

I applaud your dedication and its good to have the update, I had wondered what happened with this.

41husk

What a pain and you will still probably pulled over every time you take it out and need to keep documentation with you :eek2:  Congratulations and good luck!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Ghoste

Husk is right but remember, no matter how much they hassle you, you will still have the coolest car in the entire nation of Switzerland.  :2thumbs: :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Ghoste on September 16, 2012, 11:50:02 AM
I applaud your dedication and its good to have the update.
:iagree:

So how much force did it take for the wing to "let go" ?  
Obviously not enough to sheer someone's head off, if I remember the original post  :lol:
Maybe just enough to give someone a good knot on the brow...  :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:

swissmopar

It had to withstand min. 1200Nm, and had to shear off at max. 2800Nm. I will post the graphic protocols soon. With 3 plastic bolts it withstand about 4000Nm.

oldcarnut

Wonder if the fiberglass wings made here would hold up to that test.  Can you sell a replica of the replica to other future owners to pass the test and maybe recoup some of your money back?

swissmopar

Quote from: oldcarnut on September 16, 2012, 02:06:03 PM
Wonder if the fiberglass wings made here would hold up to that test.  Can you sell a replica of the replica to other future owners to pass the test and maybe recoup some of your money back?
There is one more "un-inspected" Superbird in Switzerland (for more than 15 years never on the street) and one in Liechtenstein. If they want they can profit from my procedure and we could share the costs.

Indygenerallee

Remind me never to move to Switzerland.....
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

4cruzin

No job!  Glad it worked out for you!  Would of sucked if they still said "NO" and had to spend all that money to find out!   :eek2:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

WINGIN IT

Quote from: swissmopar on September 16, 2012, 01:07:25 PM
It had to withstand min. 1200Nm, and had to shear off at max. 2800Nm. I will post the graphic protocols soon. With 3 plastic bolts it withstand about 4000Nm.

What's Nm = Newton Meters?
What's that equate to in to an average human force? 
Is it about the same as a drunken bicyclist not seeing a giant orange car in front if him, slamming into your bumper at 20km/h , and launching him/her self neck first into the wing??  :eek2: :scratchchin: :D

Hemi Runner

Send the original wing here to the states and I'll keep it safe for ya..... right on the back of my drag radial twin turbocharged superbird clone!! :2thumbs: :D

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

that is love and dedication to have a wing car   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
  your just as nutty as the rest of us  :D
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

swissmopar

Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 16, 2012, 04:21:57 PM

Is it about the same as a drunken bicyclist not seeing a giant orange car in front if him, slamming into your bumper at 20km/h , and launching him/her self neck first into the wing??  :eek2: :scratchchin: :D

1 Nm = 0.737562 lbs ft (poundforce feet)

Ghoste

Quote from: swissmopar on September 16, 2012, 03:10:25 PM
Quote from: oldcarnut on September 16, 2012, 02:06:03 PM
There is one more "un-inspected" Superbird in Switzerland (for more than 15 years never on the street) and one in Liechtenstein. If they want they can profit from my procedure and we could share the costs.

Hey you never know.  Are they aware of you and what you had to go through?

Arnie Cunningham

Congratulations!  You definitely qualify as a winged car fanatic!
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

bordin34

Where is Switzerland are you. My cousin lives in or near St. Galen and can see the Lake of Constance from his house. I am also a Swiss citizen although I have never been there.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

WINGIN IT

Quote from: swissmopar on September 17, 2012, 05:27:14 AM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 16, 2012, 04:21:57 PM

1 Nm = 0.737562 lbs ft (poundforce feet)

Ok so max sheer of is 2800Nm = about 2,065 ft/lbs, right?
That seems like an aweful lot of force. More than enought to do some damage to some unsuspecting albeit dunce-headed person throwing him/her self at the wing, no ?

Hemidog

I've heard that after 1945, the remaining administration from Germany fled to Switzerland, and began working in the DMV.