News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Auburn posi is a no go

Started by Dodge69_440, February 06, 2006, 08:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge69_440

Ok, i recently put a mopar performance 360 in my 69 coronet.  The car has a 8.25 rear end and I ordered the auburn posi unit and 3.55 ring and pinion.  The bearings that came with the installation kit (provided by richmond) don't fit.  On top of that, summit insisted that they do not make the proper parts to make the suregrip unit work.  So, does anyone know a minispool that fits a 69 eight and quarter?  Has anyone else installed an auburn limited slip unit that fits? -Thanks for any help. 

Mike DC

Mini-spool?

Do you really wanna lock up the diff solid?  You could just weld the spider gears inside, hillbilly-style.

Crazy440

I have an Auburn unit in my rig.  Fit perfect and has worked well, for 4 years. And if I have problems with it, I send it back and they send me a new one.  I know there are those that don't like them because you can't rebuild them.  I'd rather have a new unit, than have to rebuild one. I guess I'm lazy :-)  A bud of mine has had one in his built up 455 66 GTO for years and never had a problem.  If I ever do a rear end change to a Dana, then I guess I'll go with something else.  My 2¢

Crazy
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

brianosaurus

I just put an Auburn in my 69 charger at the end of the summer.  its an 8.25 rear end.  We had to grind away part of the inside of the housing to fit the carrier, as indicated in the instructions that came with mine.  I ordered it from Randy's Ring & Pinion, along with some 4.10s.  ;D  Its much peppier than the old 2.71s, and the Auburn Gear does work.

deathcharger71

is that simialar or the same as the 8.25 dana trac-lock?

HemiMk

sorry to bug in but that Randy's kit you have on your 69 is that a 27 spline rear 8 1/4 ?... cuase i want a locker for my 73 charger and it has a 318 hipo...lol...with 727 and a 8 1/4 rear...and i dont know what company or what type of locker or even a posi assembly i should get and also if anyone knows what you need to install axels? etc. or is it kinda just replace the differential....and how do i go with a 3.23 gearing????  Thanks alot and sry to but in on your convo/ post

HemiMk

brianosaurus

Yep, 27 spline.  My car was originally a 318, but it had a 383 when I bought it (and it still does).

I called up Randy's with more or less no knowledge.  I told the guy what I had and what I wanted, and they sent the stuff that fit :).

They have both the auburn gear and a detroit locker.  I went with the auburn since I'll mostly be on the street and the detroit lockers are (apparently) a rougher ride around turns.  I don't know what a dana trac-lock is, but the name kind of sounds like how I think a detroit locker works ;).  The auburn gear uses clutches for limited slip.

As for gears, they have lots of sizes to choose from.

deathcharger71

the trac-lock i got is a clutch type limited slip...and thats all i know haha well im having it put in next week so ill find it if anything needs grinding, i hope not  :-\

brianosaurus

Here's a picture of the inside of the rear where I had to grind it.  I don't have a "before" pic.

I've heard a rumor that Macs are good for art, but I don't have a drawing program, so I couldn't highlight the area...  its close to the center of the picture, a little up and right...

its above the passenger-side bearing slot, to the left of the bolt hole.  The inside edge of the face with the bolt hole used to drop almost straight down from its upper-most point.  If your carrier is as big as the one on the auburn, it bumps there.  I used a 4" (maybe 5") grinder to open it up a little, without damaging the part where the bearing goes.