News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 vs. 426 Hemi interchange differences (detailed stuff from "Stage V")

Started by Mike DC, February 07, 2006, 06:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

I stumbled on this from another message board.  I thought it might be interesting, what with all the conversations about Hemis vs. Wedges lately.  It's several pages that's mostly about their "Stage V" setups, but during the discussion they give some pretty detailed explanations of exactly what won't fit between the (factory-built) 440 & 426 Hemi components:

(Here's the original link:  http://www.geocities.com/rt_jakal/dartmtr.txt)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blocks:

"As soon as news broke about Chrysler's 426 Hemi way back in 1964, people began asking "Can I put these heads on my wedge block?"  The answer is yes and no.  Yes, in that the heads can be plopped down on the block and they won't look out of place.  But thats the end of it.  Problems arise when you realize that there are no drilled bosses cast into the wedge's valley to accept a specific row of head bolts used by the Hemi."

"Hemi blocks are cast with deep lifter valley recesses which provide pushrod clearance, but to attempt to cut a wedge block in a similar fashion would be impossible.  This is due to the presence of a water passage which would be ruptured if adequate material were removed for pushrod clearance."

"Then there's all that oil spraying out of the ends of the deck.  Wedge blocks are rounded off at the lower outside corners of the deck, Hemi blocks have more material and are squared off.  This extra area contains an oil return which corresponds to the design of the Hemi head.  And then there are the misaligned water holes.  Get the picture?  Hemi and wedge blocks are cousins, but that's all."

Pistons:

"You cannot re-use stock wedge pistons in a Conversion motor.  Even a "wild" high compression wedge piston would yield a ridiculously low compression ratio.  A domed Hemi-type configuration is a must."

THE CHARGER PUNK

i think it must have been cheaper to convert a wedge to hemi in the late 70's and 80's from stage V now its friggin exspensive like 6-8k,i have no clue how they get good buisness when you can build a real 426 hemi 4 cheaper-MATT

Mike DC

That's been discussed in several threads lately.  "Stage V" doesn't seem to be continuting to operate nowadays.  The price of a new 426 Hemi is low enough that there's little demand for their stuff anymore.

Chryco Psycho

weird , I was talking to a couple of hemi builders that use nothing But stage V heads, still one of the best heads on the market

cryotek

I think their big customers base is top fuel and top alcohol.  See a lot of their heads on the big guys cars at the races.

d72hemi

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on February 09, 2006, 07:37:37 PM
i think it must have been cheaper to convert a wedge to hemi in the late 70's and 80's from stage V now its friggin exspensive like 6-8k,i have no clue how they get good buisness when you can build a real 426 hemi 4 cheaper-MATT

I just gave them a call, they are $3990.00, and will be back in stock in March. there phone numberis, (909)594-8383, Email: info@stagev.com.

Ghoste

Yeah, they didn't just vanish when the crates came along.  They were smart enough to move into a different niche and they seem to be well received in the dragster ranks.
In fact, I remember seeing that one of the builders in Mopar Muscle's recent Hemi dyno shootout used Stage V heads.  Can't remember which one though.