News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will any other year disk brakes work on 66?

Started by Dodgerdallas, October 08, 2012, 08:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

Im tired of these drums and wanting to switch to front disks,does any other year Chrysler work on my 66 that maybe I can score from the boneyard and save a few hundred bucks?
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

Ghoste

66 through 69 B-body are direct bolt in.  They may be the obvious one.  There are others that can be swapped over too whichever one you choose don't forget spindles, master cylinder and proportioning valve.

Cooter

'73-'76 A-body (Duster/Dart/Scamp/etc.)discs work perfectly. Bolt in deal. Must re-align front end afterwards.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dodgerdallas

As far as B body's,that's charger,Satellite,Coronet??
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

Ghoste

John_Kunkel

The '66-'69 B- bodies may be a bolt-on but the parts are rare and expensive and the rigid calipers can be problematic; better to go with the '73-'76 A-body, easier to find and better brakes.

The F, J, M body will also work but not a pure bolt-on.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Are the A body ones easier to find?  Seems like once the word got out that they could be made to fit, they all disappeared.  Then again, mayb e there weren't that many sold around where I live that had discs?  :lol:

kab69440

Let's not overlook late B's. Sweet, easy install and cheap replacement parts are usually in stock at Auto Zone.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

HPP

The late Bs are in the same catagory as the FJM cars. The parts will bolt right on, but hose routing needs a little manipulation to make them work nicely and look clean.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on October 09, 2012, 04:13:42 PM
Are the A body ones easier to find?  Seems like once the word got out that they could be made to fit, they all disappeared.  Then again, mayb e there weren't that many sold around where I live that had discs?  :lol:

Not really, they are just the easiest as some folks can figure out a way to f*ck up a wet dream when it comes to mechanical work. These simply BOLT RIGHT ON. No routing problems, no cutting of tie rods, no "Too tall" spindles(Think 1973 B Body), nothing, just a good swap. That's why it's so popular. PLUS, one can swap to the larger rotors if the caliper brackets/rotors/calipers are used.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

resq302

Honestly, I have had the factory 4 pistion Bendix brakes on my charger now for the past 6 years and have only had one start leaking ever so slightly.  That was due to the bore having a little bit of rust pitting which cause it not to seal perfectly.  I don't know why the factory Bendix brakes always get such a bad rep.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

They did have a reputation for pistons sticking in the bores.  I have them on my 67 and they have been trouble free for me too but I try to maintain them.

resq302

Key is to flush the brake fluid ever other year.  The seizing is when the bore starts to rust!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

John_Kunkel

Quote from: resq302 on October 10, 2012, 12:13:08 PM
That was due to the bore having a little bit of rust pitting which cause it not to seal perfectly.  I don't know why the factory Bendix brakes always get such a bad rep.

Your problem is the reason they get a bad rap; on the rigid calipers the seal is on the piston so imperfect bores cause leaks and the pistons can rust in place an stick. The single-piston caliper has the seal in the caliper and the piston is chromed or plastic so rust isn't usually a problem.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

resq302

John,

Is the problem really the part or the lack of maintenance done by the car owner?  I have had pistons start to seize in our el camino also due from sitting and lack of changing out the brake fluid which allows the water absorbtion which is what causes the rusting.  I would imagine regular flushing of the brake fluid would not cause this problem.  But granted, people are lazy and do not do things to the cars when they are supposed to.  Its like my sister in law who cooked her trans in her kia because she did not change out the trans fluid for over 80,000 miles.  Is it the trans' fault or the owners that it crapped out?
Brian

Ghoste

True, in spite of what the general public believe, the non maintenance vehicle does not exist.

resq302

Oh, but there is a non maintenance vehicle.  Look at all the newer cars today where you can not service stuff like the trans fluid!  My dads '09 F150 you can not check or add fluild to the trans!  Sucks to be you if you have a slow leak!  Same with newer Chrysler minivans.  No dipstick, just a plug in the tube where the trans dispstick should be and no dipstick is available for it.  We have become a throw away society vs. repairing that of years ago that was built to last with regular maintenance.
Brian

Ghoste

That's no service by owners, is there no scheduled recommendation in the owners manual that you take it to the dealer to have the fluid changed?  And let us not forget the other fluids and wear components.  I stand by my statement that there is no such thing as a maintenance free vehicle.  However I do fully agree with the throw away society bit and that is exactly why people think they don't have to look after their vehicle.

JB400

Your supposedto take it to the dealer to get all your maintenance done.  That's why they don't bother putting dipsticks in cars anymore.  They're being dipsticks about dipsticks.  If they keep it up, there will be people that won't know how to even read a dipstick.

Ghoste

Why go to the expense of adding one when 90% of the public will never use it anyway?

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on October 11, 2012, 08:57:43 AM
Why go to the expense of adding one when 90% of the public will never use it anyway?
Courtesy to the other 10%

resq302

If I remember right from what my dad said, according to the owners / service manual for the truck, the trans fluid is good for the life of the trans.  YET, the trans pan is bolted on and I am sure there is a filter in there.  I am sure there is a way to change out the fluid also as the tire center where I used to work had a machine that exchanged fluid for trans systems and all you had to do was disconnect the one trans line.  Either way - that does not get the big contaminats out which was trapped in the pan by the filter nor replace the filter.  Again, coming down to a throw away society where you will have to rebuild the trans vs. doing simple routine maintenance!
Brian