News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

interior paint

Started by dd44068, February 08, 2006, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd44068

Can anybody tell me what the correct coler/type of paint that is used for the interior of the lower door? My interior coler is white. Thanks in advance Dom

moparjohn

I belive it should be gloss white from the doorpannel to the weatherstrip.
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Troy

I was told by Drop Top that it's the same color white as used on the outside (stock 68 Charger color) with a little deglosser OR just the base (no clear). The paint is actually in a big square surrounding the door but I don't seem to have any pictures handy. Two of my cars have white interiors - both 68s.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Drop Top

The orignal paint was made by PPG and was laquer. Laquer is not avalible in many areas anymore. The white was not really glossy. Thats why I sugjest painting the doors that way. The owner the Manix car and I studyed it alot. I painted the white interior of a convertable Cornet for him. Thats what we came up with.

bill440rt

The Chrysler paint code for the white is EW1, just like their exterior color. It was called "Spinniker White." It surrounded the inner door frame starting at the weatherstrip holes & inward.
If you're worried about gloss, if you just use a basic acrylic enamel with no gloss hardener, just reducer only, you should probably come up with a similar gloss level. Forget about buying lacquer these days. If you use basecoat without clear, it will be very dull and not hold up, I don't recommend it.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

EMCustoms

I came across this PPG Clear from their Deltron paint line that you can control the gloss by adding any of the listed Clears, I plan to use for my interior.  You can find the product sheet at the below site.

www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/docs/P-217_DCU2060%20Flexed%20and%20Flat.pdf

resq302

I have seen other cars as well as my car that have had black and white interiors get a gloss black paint on the lower steel part of the door.  Maybe this is incorrect?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

If you got a white interior, you "should" have a white inner door frame. But, never say never.
That PPG flattening clear looks like a good product. I don't think it was really that flat, though. It should have a level of gloss to it.
Think of it equivalent to gloss white paint out of a spray can. It's not automotive grade gloss, it's a lesser level. You just can't get the exact color out of a spray can, it must be mixed.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

8WHEELER

My QQ1 blue 68 RT has a blue and pearl white int, blue dash pads upper and lower, blue console, blue
rear package tray, carpet and seat belts.
The seats, head liner, and door panels are Pearl White. So the lower portion of your door should be gloss white.
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.