News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

pics aftermarket shifter non-console cars ??

Started by 69bananabeast, August 05, 2005, 05:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bananabeast

after i do my engine swap I will be laying down new carpet and a Hurst shifter (Auto by the way). I was wondering if any one has any pics so i might have a better Ideal what it looks like?
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Crazy440

This is my B&M setup.
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

69bananabeast

Looks good.  What did you use to cut out part of the carpet?
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

MoparYoungGun

Sorry, I don't have any pics but I have heard great things about the Turbo Action Cheetah SCS Shifter. Good luck :cheers: !

thallium

bananabeast,   I don't think you'll need to cut out the carpet to lay in an aftermarket shifter. All you have to do it lay the shifter on top of the carpet and slit a little hole in the carpet for the shifter cable. Mount the shifter with mounting screws and you are set.

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: thallium on August 10, 2005, 07:50:18 PM
bananabeast,     I don't think you'll need to cut out the carpet to lay in an aftermarket shifter. All you have to do it lay the shifter on top of the carpet and slit a little hole in the carpet for the shifter cable. Mount the shifter with mounting screws and you are set.
:iagree:

69bananabeast

thats good. I got new carpet to replace the old multi-colored one and the only pre-cut part was the dimmer switch . So what should i use to make the holes in the carpet to bolt the seats back down??
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

Crazy440

I just used a punch, to make a small hole, then put the bolts in from the bottom, taped them in place (I did this by myself) and set the seats back on, then threaded on the nut, washer and lock washer.
And yes, you only need a small slit, for the cable to go through.

B5 Charger

I use a hot soldering iron to make the holes in the carpet.  It burns right through without fraying the carpet and makes a nice clean hole for your bolts to pass through.   You can work it around to make the holes as big as you need them.  :thumbs:

69bananabeast

that sounds good , if I can get around to getting one or borrowing one that'll probably be best.
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

B5 Charger

Just go to walmart or kmart and buy a cheap one.  Any pencil type iron will work.  There is no need to buy an expensive one or risk getting melted carpet all over a buddies iron.  I think I got mine at walmart for under $20.00 which is well worth the investment. 

Drop Top

B5; What a great idea! I'll remember that tip the next time I install carpet.

Thanks!! D/T

69bananabeast

Is that pic from a charger?     what did you do about the supports from the console and shifter ?  did you cut them off?
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

Crazy440

Yep.  It's a third gen.  I cut the tabs off and ground them smooth.

69bananabeast

do you know if the brackets for the shifter are the same as a 2nd gen ? im not sure if it would matter that much
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

B5 Charger

The brackets will be different from generation to generation but removal should still be the same.  Try not to destroy the brackets when you remove them and you can probably resell them at a swap meet, the parts for sale section or on ebay.  There are plenty of guys with column shift cars out there that I are dying to put in a factory floor console setup.   ;)

69bananabeast

if i ever do that would be a good idea, but most likely will keep them  incase change mind later
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318