News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spotting Vega glass

Started by Ghoste, October 20, 2012, 11:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Just out of curiousity, what are the physical differences when you put the Vega glass and the stock glass beside each other?

Just 6T9 CHGR

No Pentastar? :shruggy:

;)

OK so thats visual & not physical so whatever  :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Kowal

Dimensionally, how different are they?   Does a Vega glass fit a Mopar plug?
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

held1823

some comparison photos are in this thread, including the one shown here.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,58876.20.html

there are a few other threads with different photos that will come up using "vega daytona rear glass" as keywords
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

A383Wing

yea..I heard that they are basically "reversed" from each other when installed

Bryan

Ghoste

So the one on the left is the Vega one?

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on October 20, 2012, 07:16:42 PM

Yes, that's correct.  There are two ways to tell which one is which in that particular comparison.  First, is that the Vega plug requires a filler piece added at the very top of the "plug", whereas the stock plug is one contiguous piece.  Second - if you look at the profile of the original "regular" Charger window opening still visible within both window openings, you can see that the bottom of the opening is fairly straight.  The C500/Daytona plug uses the same window moulding at the bottom and corners as the regular Charger, so their profiles match as can be seen in the right-side photo.

:cheers:

cdr

Quote from: hemigeno on October 22, 2012, 10:29:46 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on October 20, 2012, 07:16:42 PM

Yes, that's correct.  There are two ways to tell which one is which in that particular comparison.  First, is that the Vega plug requires a filler piece added at the very top of the "plug", whereas the stock plug is one contiguous piece.  Second - if you look at the profile of the original "regular" Charger window opening still visible within both window openings, you can see that the bottom of the opening is fairly straight.  The C500/Daytona plug uses the same window moulding at the bottom and corners as the regular Charger, so their profiles match as can be seen in the right-side photo.

:cheers:

THANX GENO,GREAT INFO---what are the dimensions of the daytona glass?

charlie
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hemigeno

Quote from: cdr on October 22, 2012, 11:07:20 AM
what are the dimensions of the daytona glass?

charlie

I measured a spare Daytona glass and it's a complex shape to describe/measure, but here are some dimensions:

25-3/4" tall at the center, which is its highest dimension that direction
by
44-13/16" wide, measured near the bottom, at its widest point.

These are tapered pieces - narrower at the top than at the bottom, and shorter at the edges than at the center.  Hard to explain and/or measure without seeing one.

41husk

They are hard to tell apart even sitting next to each other.  Winged warriors or superbird daytona news letter had my vega plug compaired with Mcluskens (Sp) Daytona with the same paint scheme side by side.  they describe the difference I will try to find that!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on October 22, 2012, 11:49:56 AM
They are hard to tell apart even sitting next to each other.  Winged warriors or superbird daytona news letter had my vega plug compaired with Mcluskens (Sp) Daytona with the same paint scheme side by side.  they describe the difference I will try to find that!
if you look at it installed on the daytona  it really doesnt look as curved at the bottom  ( ALLENS CAR )
 optical illusion maybe because of the angle   :shruggy:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

cdr

Quote from: hemigeno on October 22, 2012, 11:32:57 AM
Quote from: cdr on October 22, 2012, 11:07:20 AM
what are the dimensions of the daytona glass?

charlie

I measured a spare Daytona glass and it's a complex shape to describe/measure, but here are some dimensions:

25-3/4" tall at the center, which is its highest dimension that direction
by
44-13/16" wide, measured near the bottom, at its widest point.

These are tapered pieces - narrower at the top than at the bottom, and shorter at the edges than at the center.  Hard to explain and/or measure without seeing one.
thank you GENO
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Ghoste

Quote from: 41husk on October 22, 2012, 11:49:56 AM
They are hard to tell apart even sitting next to each other.  Winged warriors or superbird daytona news letter had my vega plug compaired with Mcluskens (Sp) Daytona with the same paint scheme side by side.  they describe the difference I will try to find that!

That would be great too.

pandamarie

easy way to tell if its on the car is check the trim, the chargers/Daytona is stainless the vega is aluminum, the connection points at the corners are way different too along with the shape of the trim itself.

Ghoste

Aha, see now for whatever reason I was thinking that the Vega hatch and glass still somehow used the Daytona trim.  Thanks.

Old Moparz

I took these photos after I bought my Daytona repro parts as a package deal from a guy who bailed on his project. It included a fiberglass Ted Janak plug with the window trim from a Vega hatch. (No idea why, but it is what it is.) I have since gotten a Vega hatch, so I can confirm that the trim sitting on the Janak plug is from a Vega hatch.

You can see the differences in the shape, size, radius of the corners & the end of the Vega trim that isn't as flat as the Charger trim.

(From my original post with more info..... http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,4376.0.html )
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

held1823

using the last photo, this might help to quickly identify which window it is. the daytona trim has its seam at the top, in the green circle. i think vegas all seam at the bottom, in the red circle. i'm not a chevy guru to know that beyond any doubt, but i can't imagine GM changed the seam location during vega production years.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

pettybird

Quote from: held1823 on October 24, 2012, 11:02:27 AM
using the last photo, this might help to quickly identify which window it is. the daytona trim has its seam at the top, in the green circle. i think vegas all seam at the bottom, in the red circle. i'm not a chevy guru to know that beyond any doubt, but i can't imagine GM changed the seam location during vega production years.

you shore know a lot about them Vega plugs...turning into a closet cloner?   :poke:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on October 24, 2012, 11:31:49 AM
Quote from: held1823 on October 24, 2012, 11:02:27 AM

you shore know a lot about them Vega plugs...turning into a closet cloner?   :poke:
yeah he and gene both    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

held1823

heck no, i'm trying to start a vega restoration business. i even have a daytona plug that can be used on a customer's car.

truth be told, i feel kind of dirty, knowing anything about this travesty.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on October 24, 2012, 12:01:17 PM
heck no, i'm trying to start a vega restoration business. i even have a daytona plug that can be used on a customer's car.

SAVE THE VEGA'S ,  SAVE THE VEGA'S   .  STOP THE CLONERS    ,STOP THE MADNESS   :smilielol: :smilielol: :rofl: :nana:

Old Moparz

Quote from: held1823 on October 24, 2012, 12:01:17 PM

There are several suppliers of fiberglass Vega hatches & they sure are cheaper than the fiberglass Daytona plugs.   :lol:

http://www.artfiberglass.com/auto/7177vega.html
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

held1823

Quote from: moparstuart on October 24, 2012, 12:08:23 PM
SAVE THE VEGA'S ,  SAVE THE VEGA'S  

my new goal is to recreate this scene in 1 to 1 scale, using all metal parts. fiberglass is for boats.

and wussy corvettes.

((by accident (read: i didnt notice until i posted it) this photo shows the curve of the window.))
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

Geez I completely forgot about the Astre and at least three buddies of mine had those.  In fact I remember more guys driving the Pontiac than the Chev now that you triggered that section of forgotten crap Dave. :lol:

WINGIN IT

That Astre looks like an Opel Manta.
That was my first car.
Would these work too?

Ghoste

The Astre is a twin to the Vega so I think the Opel is just a similar appearance, not the exact same.  To my eye it looks like the opel one bows out more through the middle?

A383Wing

and the rear window "plug" for the Opal ends right at the lower trim...and I would suspect Opals are harder to find?

Bryan

WINGIN IT

I was thinking the glass itself, but you're right, the "plug" isn't right.
They used to be plentiful around here. Sold through Buick dealerships.
Sold mine to guy who had 9 of them...