News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has Anyone Pegged the Needle on these Car and Found Them More Stable???

Started by johnnyseville, October 25, 2012, 07:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyseville

Just curious, but seems some of you guys have had them to the track.  When you are up there, 150+, does all the trim make the car really stable.  Would love to hear about your experience, so I can look forward to the day I have the chance to do it.
too many to list!

WINGIN IT

Typically I don't think they're allowed to peg them , but I 'm sure there are some good stories out there...  :D :popcrn:

Ghoste

I haven't pegged the needle in a wing car but I can vouch for the driving characteristics getting more comfortable at a certain rate of speed. :icon_smile_wink:

JB400

Now who is really going to admit to pegging the needle anyway :nana:  I do know that most cars do get pretty stable at certain speeds higher than freeway speeds. :D  Maybe we should go to Texas, new toll road with 85 speed limit legally.  Illegaly+++++ :D

Aero426

Gary and Pam would be able to attest to the stability of the 1971 wing cars with the speed trial and Bonneville runs. 

FJ5WING

didnt hit "peg" or even the end of acceleration but was into triple digits many times and had no sense that the car was driving any differently than at speeds under 100.
I certainly wasnt circling a banked track either.
wingless now, but still around.

Ghoste

Most cars today may get stable above the legal limit but you need to take a stock 69 Charger up to 100mph and see how light the front end gets.  And that would be fairly accurate for most cars made before aerdynamics became important to automakers.

tan top

Quote from: Ghoste on October 25, 2012, 11:38:53 AM
Most cars today may get stable above the legal limit but you need to take a stock 69 Charger up to 100mph and see how light the front end gets.  And that would be fairly accurate for most cars made before aerdynamics became important to automakers.

:yesnod: :2thumbs:

no wing & nose cone here but

but

there is no peg at 150 , the needle keeps going    ;)
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Rat Exterminator

I was bringing my bird home after some carb work on the interstate, rural area, daytime, light traffic with my wife a few miles ahead giving me the all clear. 440-6 with 355 gears. I ran it up to 140 , that was about all I dared, no tach but I'll bet I was nearing 6K RPMs. At about 120 the car did seem to settle down and become more stable.  Where the wing is set at would have a lot to do with things. Certainly not a brilliant thing to do but probably the safest place available to the public here in Michigan. Unlike my moron friend whom I let take my 09 challenger R/T classic out and he comes back and asks my wife if she knew the car would go 143, on local two lane highway.   :flame:

A383Wing

I have had the Daytona up to 135...not on a closed track..the faster it went, the more stable is seemed to get.....as for the 66 Charger....I have hit 100 many times....felt a little loose

Bryan

62 Max

69 DAYTONA

...many, many years ago, I would run my Daytona top end quite often...it seemed to be more stable at 130 mph, and a friend saw me go by at speed once and swore the car sat considerably lower than normal...being young and dumb sure was fun

johnnyseville

After hearing these last few posts I just have to find somewhere to try this out, must be an awesome ride.
too many to list!

A383Wing

depends on what you are driving and how good your suspension parts are...do not try this with worn out bushings or other parts

Bryan

Bob T

I've never pegged it, only been up around 120 so far, just not enough road around, however tomorrow is our club drag day so at least I'll get a good shoefull in without risking my licence  :icon_smile_big:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

200MPH

Yes I have ridden in 2 Daytonas  at high speed as well other Chargers. there is no comparison especially up around 85 mph or so
Charger

johnnyseville

Quote from: A383Wing on October 26, 2012, 09:38:56 PM
depends on what you are driving and how good your suspension parts are...do not try this with worn out bushings or other parts

Bryan

I am not that stupid ... anymore :2thumbs:

My only problem is where can I get the running space to do this, quarter mile tracks would not get me anywhere near that type of speed,maybe 100 or so tops,  it is a real dilemma in the NYC area.   Have to check out with the guys at the car club if they know a spot.  These cars are pretty to look at, but the real purpose of them was to "fly"
too many to list!

WINGIN IT

Take a trip up my way man ,  I live in the sticks lots of places to do this  :D
My neighbor has gotten is Firebird up to 150 not too far from where I live.

Besides, I wanta check out your new ride  :2thumbs:

NYCMille

I've had my Daytona over 150 multiple times. Where my '68 gets light in the rear at around the 130+ the Daytona just sits and squats on the suspension and is incredibly stable. In general the car will squat around 2-inchs at all corners at speed, but like any car going that quick sudden movements are not your friend.

Fred

Quote from: Bob T on October 27, 2012, 03:59:38 AM
I've never pegged it, only been up around 120 so far, just not enough road around, however tomorrow is our club drag day so at least I'll get a good shoefull in without risking my licence  :icon_smile_big:

I pegged it once and got away!   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

JB400

Quote from: Fred on October 27, 2012, 11:30:11 PM

What cars are the cops driving down yonder?

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 27, 2012, 11:52:46 PM

Do you mean "down yonder green valley.....where twilight was fading" or down yonder, downunder. ? ? ? ? ?

JB400

Quote from: Fred on October 28, 2012, 12:13:58 AM

Do you mean "down yonder green valley.....where twilight was fading" or down yonder, downunder. ? ? ? ? ?
answer b, down under

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 28, 2012, 12:27:53 AM
Quote from: Fred on October 28, 2012, 12:13:58 AM

answer b, down under

My guess would be......tremendously fast ones.