News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

does anyone else's boss tolerate toys in your office? (wing car toy/autographs)

Started by pettybird, November 03, 2012, 03:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

I'm stuck here on a Saturday and I came across the Richard Petty record thread, and figured I could kill some time showing off what I have here at work.  Of course, it helps that I work for a muscle car dealership, and that our customers get a kick out of seeing the stuff...

Here's the record in the other thread, signed by Petty.  The pics are me getting it signed, and my nephew getting his shirt signed.  Charlotte '07 meet.  The shirt in the right of the frame is from the Cleveland Grand Prix when I was a volunteer.  it's signed my Mario Andretti and Bobby Rahal.  Trans Am star Paul Gentilozzi signed the ticket on the lower left of the shirt.  Tag #2 is my CGP volunteer pass with "I can go anywhere I damn well please" credentials, and tag #3 is my PRI show pass from last year. 

Here are a couple display cases I picked up which were advertised to hold 12 1:18 scale cars.  Well, not WING cars...notice how the noses overlap.  I had intended to fill the whole case with Ertls, but the final result is pretty cool looking, methinks.  I'm a huge fan of the McCluskey/Nelson 'birds, and I had the Ramo car in the collection for a while.  The Hamilton car means a bunch thanks to its connection to how our Petty car was originally purchased.  The original owner wanted a 'bird, and went to Daytona to watch the race.  He made up his mind to buy whatever color car won.  Thanks to Pete, we've got a bright blue one today!

There are all sorts of goodies we've picked up over the years.  Dad got a job selling personal computers in 1981 after being fired as an air traffic controller.  The store was also a school supply store, and we obviously wound up with every Road Runner eraser (2nd shelf) they had.  That's an Atari 2600 version of the Road Runner video game (it's awful, btw) and I also own the Nintendo and Genesis versions.  The PEZ dispensers came in a couple different versions, and I have at least four colors of "feet."  That's every issue of the Tyco HO slot 'bird on a couple shelves, and the euro/canadian aqua Life-Like version.  All eight 'bird colors are there in 1:18, along with F8 and Q5 Daytonas...we have the F8 car and my best friend has a Q5.

The other side the three regular AFX cars and a couple lighted ones.  There are a pair of Kidco Daytonas on the top shelf, one die cast and the other a Burnin' Key Car.  I have the original box for the SSP and everything about that car is mint...I had to pay up for it but I wanted it because it's Petty Blue.  Two Avon bottles (out of the 867 million that seems to have been made) are there, and Marty makes an appearance on the bottom with Marcis and an autographed Vandiver car.

This is a cool shelf.  That's dad's worn-to-the-point-of-being-broken DSAC belt buckle and his Air Force name badge.  The Petty keychain was purchased when we went through in '78 for the Daytona race (we drove the 'bird from Michigan) and the parallelogram keychain was a gift mom made for dad when dad had his '72 Road Runner before the 'birds.  The blue keychain will be instantly recognizable to old time members, along with the balloons, bumper stickers and everything else we got at those MIS meets.  The owner of Classic Chrysler-Plymouth in Marshall, MI, was a 'bird owner and these were the marketing items he had at his dealership back then.  Buy a new K car?  'Bird on your keychain.  We still have a pile of the stuff!

i also like collecting autographs.  Besides the '68 Plymouth Road Runner toy, everything else on the shelf is signed.  The piston is out of Bob Tasca III's funny car, the Pearson car was bought at Indy this year, and Arnie Bestwick was at Mecum last year.  The Racing Champions cars were signed at Charlotte '07, and I had a hand in the Project Six Pack 'runner's rebirth.  

My steering wheel was signed by David Donohue (Mark's son) and Darrin Law.   They won the 24 hours of Daytona in '09 for Brumos Porsche in the last year they ran DP cars before selling to Action Express.  They showed up at a local PCA event, and I didn't think about getting signatures.  My uncle did, though, and brought along his steering wheel and quick release from his race car.  It dawned on me that I had a 4mm allen key in my center console for some reason, and the 944 I was driving had a Momo wheel in it.  Darrin and David were highly amused that I'd gone to the parking lot and removed the wheel from my own car for autographs.  I put the wheel back on, drove home, and swapped it for another Momo I had laying around.  

Left to right, that's Dan Wheldon, more than half of the pro stock and funny car fleet, and Kyle Petty's autographs.  Dan and Kyle's were from the Brickyard 2011, and the drag racers were gotten at the Norwalk national even this summer.  The Wheldon autograph is, for obvious reasons, bittersweet.

Finally, here's my hodgepodge shelving unit of car stuff.  The second and fourth rows are all Porsches (except for the straggler Daytona) including a German made HO scale Porsche dealership.  The lower row of wing cars are mostly Carrera slots and two original Jo-Han models.  Credential tags from some of the places I've been are hanging with the hat that Vic and Cammi Edelbrock signed on Power Tour '07.  The tie is a disco-era donation from the company's accountant...when he was swinging with the ladies in that tie I had a jumper than mom made for me with the same patch.  That big "Ohio Muscle Car Challenge" sticker was on the 2000 Cobra R the boss let me run (THANKS A LOT BOSS LARRY!!!) repeatedly through an autocross course.  It was every bit as fantastic as I'd hoped it would be since Ford announced they'd build it in late '99.  I made a coworker swap with me so I could have #20 like the McQueen/LeMans Porsche 917 seen on the second shelf  :coolgleamA:

Again, I appreciate that my boss puts up with my idiosyncrasies  :lol:

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

I think every desk in my workplace has more than its share of automobilia on it.  It would be more unusual if they didn't.

moparstuart

my boss is a real a-hole but i have the office decorated in mopar art work and my car clocks
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

moparstuart

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

JB400

Pretty cool collection.  I hope you don't lose your job, you'll need an enclosed car trailer to haul it all home. :smilielol:  I have my own share of "stuff" here and there as well. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Quote from: moparstuart on November 03, 2012, 07:20:38 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 03, 2012, 07:19:47 PM
I thought you were self employed?
:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: see  hes an ahole

Well then, at least if he fires you for having wing car stuff in the office, you know how to hurt him most in an act of sweet revenge.

pettybird

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 03, 2012, 10:22:39 PM
Pretty cool collection.  I hope you don't lose your job, you'll need an enclosed car trailer to haul it all home. :smilielol:  I have my own share of "stuff" here and there as well. :2thumbs:

it's worse than that...the B5 car is being stored there, too  :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on November 05, 2012, 12:03:42 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 03, 2012, 10:22:39 PM

it's worse than that...the B5 car is being stored there, too  :lol:
:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:  the ultimate art work

GOTWING

I have that same vintage road runner air freshener in my Superbird!  :2thumbs: I have Mopar magazines littering my work area :yesnod: and some calendar pages pulled out and pinned up on my corkboard, :yesnod: and current Mopar calendar of course. :D

41husk

I teach High School so I can display any car memorabilia I want as long as it is does not have alcohol stuff displayed.  I keep most of my stuff at the Mopad, infact I got a new display hung up I will have to post a pic of.  not wing car but cool and Dodge!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

pettybird

Quote from: 41husk on November 05, 2012, 09:39:58 AM
I teach High School so I can display any car memorabilia I want as long as it is does not have alcohol stuff displayed.  I keep most of my stuff at the Mopad, infact I got a new display hung up I will have to post a pic of.  not wing car but cool and Dodge!

mom has the cars hung in her classroom, too!

moparstuart

allens MoPAD 

nvrbdn

i have a few toys in my office, plus the car pic's and calanders. i even made some creeple people from the thing makers and put them in my office. and yep, they were from the 60's. but im an antique toy collector on the side :D
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

41husk

Thanks Stuart, I have run out of wall space and I am now starting on the cieling :coolgleamA:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

41husk

The pics have a few winged posters in the background.  Didn't get Stuarts nosecone top in the pics :brickwall:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparstuart

Quote from: moparstuart on November 03, 2012, 07:17:26 PM
my boss is a real a-hole but i have the office decorated in mopar art work and my car clocks
:popcrn: :popcrn:

moparstuart

moparstuart

moparstuart

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

moparstuart

JB400