News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wheel help

Started by roadrunner440, November 11, 2012, 10:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadrunner440

i want to put some nice wheels on my 73 roadrunner any one have any ideas i have been looking on summint for hours and nothing catches my eye it would be better if i could see them on a car would be better any one have any sugestions on wheels and tire size also i would like to put some wide tires on the rear and semi wide on the front how wide of wheels also would help thanks again all

Mopar Nut

These Mopar Rallye wheels would look good on a RR from YearOne available in 17x8 and 17x9.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

roadrunner440

thats what i have on there now

Patronus

Dude. Picking wheels is the hardest part of a car, besides the color of course. It takes years. I would offer to you, run 17" wheels. I consider them to look the best, especially with a 13" brake rotor. The ratio just works out. You get better tire choices and a noticeable improvement in handling and braking. That said, besides a pro-touring wheel (modern) you have the 17" cast magnums to choose from. The '73 is a big car, the 17's will look awesome. There's a photoshop thread here, ask someone to mock something up for you.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

JB400

What kind of look are you going for?

roadrunner440

i have 600hp i want to race sometimes no just look cool i want good handling and braking and some thing with meats on the rear idk y evey ones going to 17s now is doesnt look like a muscle care any more i look like somthing the brothers do in the hood im kind of looking twards the mag or a 5 spoke wheel i know what i want but cant find the wheel and im going blind going through summits 1000s of pages of the same wheel im just lost i guess

roadrunner440

also figuring out how wide to go with the tires i need tracktion too seems i can burn off my tires in all 3 grears front and rear i good combo would be helpfull

HPP

Wheel choice can be a pretty personal subject and what one guy likes another will hate. Kind of like finding a date. Any of us could have suggestions, but they may not float your boat.

The problem with 17 and 18 inch wheel set ups is you have to find tires with a good aspect ratio to balance the look on an older car. Too little sidewall and they look like crap and out of place. With a good sidewall aspect, they can really compliment the car's look while providing access to larger, less expensive, but high quality tires.

Maybe give us a clue at what your thinking. You don't seem to like the stock style rallye. Do you want a spoked layout with 6 or 8 or more spokes? Do you prefer a mesh style like some european cars. Are you more  inclined towards classic style like oval holes or 5 spokes. How about classic drag with solid discs? Modern drag with contoured or oval spokes. When you say race, are you hitting the bracket drags or open track days. You gotta put some skin in the fight for us to help.

roadrunner440

sorry for being so vague i was looking for vector wheels seems no 1 has any to sell n no ones repoping them yet again so i went with craigar ss 10 inch dish now 4 tires im going to go with 275 60 r 15 but what brand is best bf good rich radial ta or cooper etc...... and can any one inlighten me on what a speed rating is n what the letters stand for? thanks again pat

dangina

Quote from: roadrunner440 on November 12, 2012, 08:57:51 PM
sorry for being so vague i was looking for vector wheels seems no 1 has any to sell n no ones repoping them yet again so i went with craigar ss 10 inch dish now 4 tires im going to go with 275 60 r 15 but what brand is best bf good rich radial ta or cooper etc...... and can any one inlighten me on what a speed rating is n what the letters stand for? thanks again pat

I've been wanting them to do vectors in a 17" for years! I'd even take steel ones at this point! here is some reading about speed ratings:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

HPP

If you want Vectors, you are going to be looking for a long time and currently will be limited to 15" diameters. Perhaps since Year one is rolling out cast aluminum versions of popular stock wheels now, they could be convinced to do Vectors if enough people pinged them about it.

In 15" tires there is not a lot of choice for dedicated performance tires. Most 15" units are targeted for the show and shine crowd and are S or T rated or are dedicated race use and are not awesome street tires. There are two tires that are H rated in 15" sizes and those are Mickey Thompson SR and Maxxis Marauder SA1. Typically, higher speed ratings tend to point to tires with better traction capability and certainly are safer to use at sustained high speeds. Logically no one will be running their car at 115+mph for quarters of an hour at a time, but it is a nice yardstick to evulate capability and some people feel higher speed ratings tend to point towards higher quality tires.

oldschool

Quote from: roadrunner440 on November 12, 2012, 08:09:13 AM
i have 600hp i want to race sometimes no just look cool i want good handling and braking and some thing with meats on the rear idk y evey ones going to 17s now is doesnt look like a muscle care any more i look like somthing the brothers do in the hood im kind of looking twards the mag or a 5 spoke wheel i know what i want but cant find the wheel and im going blind going through summits 1000s of pages of the same wheel im just lost i guess
you dont like the " chip foose pimp wheels "either... :lol: :lol:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!