News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trying to install a chrome pan on my 440 AAHHHH

Started by norms440, February 09, 2006, 07:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norms440

I bought a chrome 440 pan for my 68,(rear main was leaking),its a 69 motorr no biggie,I put the car on lift, pulled of stock pan (has a big "971" on it) with windage tray, OK its out.Have nice new cromie to go in..won't fit..cut out baffle..still no fit,oil pick up seems to be hitting back of pan sump near drain plug..Do I need a new pick up? Part # PLEASE!! Enclosed some pics...Dont know if the black circle came out I made in the one pan were it is hitting..I appriciate any help I get..I am in down time despair.........What seemed like a simple job is turning into a nightmare..
Masters Of Power And Racing

RD

the pans are different in their sump location.  in order for your chrome pan to fit you will need a oil pickup tube made specificly for its sump location.  I can tell they are different by just looking at them.  Take a measuring tape from the front of the oil pan to the front of the sump and you will see the difference.

Either put on the old oil pan, or buy a new pickup.  Those are the only two natural fitment solutions.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

firefighter3931

I would re-use the 971 pan. It hold 5 qts plus the filter for a total of 6 qts. That chrome pan only holds 4 qts for a total of 5 w/filter. Why give up a quart of oil capacity ? As your pic shows, the 971 also has nice baffleing. That (971) is a highly sought after pan. The pickup is specific for that application and won't work with a smaller pan.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

I can clearly see the chrome pan sump is  a different shape , I have tio agree with Ron use the 971 pan

norms440

Well, I guess that answers that. :'(..Thanks for the replies..I don't know what I would do without this forum..Hopefully I will be able to return helpfull information as well.. ;D
Masters Of Power And Racing

4402tuff4u

Right of the bat, it looks like the chrome one is shorter to me.  :shruggy:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!