News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Daytona Beaten Like a Rented Donkey

Started by Aero426, December 06, 2012, 09:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Great footage from St Jovite, Mont Tremblant Quebec road course.   Love the smoke off the front tars. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlCk5KoCDF8

maxwellwedge

Doug - That was awesome. Any of our French speaking members want to translate some of the more interesting points? Taber-slack!  :lol:

Aero426

From Moparts:

Since I am sick in bed and cannot do much work today, I will translate most of what was said.

:47 " The Charger hits 60 mph in 6 sec thanks to good tires which have good adherence"
:54 " The motor is conceived for competition and is not that good for street use as it displays irregular slowing down"
1:02 " Engine also overheats easily as it hit 250 degrees during our tests here at Mont Tremblant"
1:15 " With a weight of 3675 lbs, the Daytona is not ready to flip over and the road handling is not great on the twisted circuit. It leans enormously in the curves"
1:30 " We lose traction on the next curve as the car has very bad understeering"
1:43 " Best lap we did was 2:15 which is pretty poor for a car with 425 hp.I must say though that the engine is much more comfortable at high revs.It can easily rev at 6000
and would be great on the highways"
2:23 " at 60 mph the car took 149 feet to stop during our breaking test"
The rest is basically describing the same dialogue but during a test lap. He mentions the smoke coming out of the fender traps. He says that the rear
spoiler is basically useless except at very high speeds.He hits 120 mph on the straight part of the circuit which makes it the fastest car he has tested to date on that track.
The disc brakes are not great as the car is quite heavy.
At the end he says that unless you are considering becoming Cale Yarborough or a drag racer he sees little reason to purchase a Daytona. Car cost $7000 and he suggests you buy a 383 or 440 instead.
The chalkboard says that the fit and finish is poor. The car is too big and the engine is capricious to adjust but it is a good engine.On the plus side it says the tranny is good along with acceleration and top speed.
Jules

r4daytona

Cool video. that thing has more lean to it in the turns than my one legged friend.

tan top

wow , awesome  stuff ,

never seen that before  , thanks for posting the link  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
  wonder what the vin # &  color combo it is ?  tan interior  maybe  ??   i spy  chrome shift knob & a rear window defogger ,  guessing  it was/is  a Canadian ordered one  :scratchchin:  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BB1

Delete my profile

maxwellwedge

Quote from: tan top on December 06, 2012, 12:55:53 PM
wow , awesome  stuff ,

never seen that before  , thanks for posting the link  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
  wonder what the vin # &  color combo it is ?  tan interior  maybe  ??   i spy  chrome shift knob & a rear window defogger ,  guessing  it was/is  a Canadian ordered one  :scratchchin:  :popcrn:

Hard to see the VIN on the list but it may be car 397.....looks like 414639?

nascarxx29

Re: Street driven daytonas owned by nascar drivers whereabouts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a Nascar driver but Jacques Duval was a racecar driver in Quebec at one time or another. He tests cars every year and publishes an annual book on his findings/opinions entitled "Le Guide de l'auto". In the 1970 edition he tests a daytona which he claims was the personal car of Mr. Savaria. The following is the picture from that article

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33772.msg368693/topicseen.html#msg368693
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

WINGIN IT

Awesome , thanks for posting Doug.  :2thumbs:
And thanks to whoever translated.

I think the car definitely looks metallic colored, dare I say bronze metallic??? :D

Ghoste

He looks a little pissed off in that photo. :lol:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Ghoste on December 06, 2012, 02:19:13 PM

Well other than the obvious - because he's french... :D
it's probably because he's pissed he didn't get a 4 speed,  :smilielol:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 06, 2012, 11:16:38 AM
Doug - That was awesome. Any of our French speaking members want to translate some of the more interesting points? Taber-slack!  :lol:

I think he might have said that it handled like a greased pig.   :lol:

Troy

I bet you don't see too many guys drifting in a Hemi Daytona these days...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Aero426

Quote from: Troy on December 06, 2012, 02:41:37 PM

Troy

Before they became commodities.... 

Montreal Wing Car

Quote from: WINGIN IT on December 06, 2012, 02:29:26 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 06, 2012, 02:19:13 PM

Well other than the obvious - because he's french... :D

Hey! I resemble that remark, tabarnak!  :nana:

Great translation, Doug, does not sound like it's from Google?

The car is T5 Bronze, it's 414638.
Story is that it burned to the ground in the seventies and disappeared along with all tags, but that the wing is still around here...

Ben

Aero426

Ben, the translation was from Jules, the Wiperman on Moparts.   I am not that smart.

I show that 414638 still exists.  It is a V2 car,  the one without the nose and wing but with the braces in the trunk. 

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on December 06, 2012, 03:49:12 PM
Ben, the translation was from Jules, the Wiperman on Moparts.   I am not that smart.

I show that 414638 still exists.  It is a V2 car,  the one without the nose and wing but with the braces in the trunk.  
he is a member here  , that would be cool if this was his car .  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Stuart, your dad said it was 414639.   Dat probably be the one.

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on December 06, 2012, 05:28:16 PM
Stuart, your dad said it was 414639.   Dat probably be the one.
:smilielol:  he had disowned me   :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:

hemigeno

Quote from: moparstuart on December 06, 2012, 05:13:29 PM

I show that 414638 still exists.  It is a V2 car,  the one without the nose and wing but with the braces in the trunk. 
roberts car he is a member here  , that would be cool if this was his car . 

It is the one that Doug mentioned which was spied/photographed years ago with the wing braces but without the wing, and it is 414638 - but it's original colors are T5 with a tan interior.  I won't mention the owner's name, because he's declined in the past to reveal that info which is certainly his prerogative.  He's well aware of his car's connection to the posted video, and was even kind enough to send me a copy of it a while back (I stink at YouTube and could never have posted it myself).  I think his wife is French Canadian, but regardless she's already translated the narrative for him.  A few other people on this site already know him and his car's story too  ;)

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on December 06, 2012, 05:40:50 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on December 06, 2012, 05:13:29 PM

I show that 414638 still exists.  It is a V2 car,  the one without the nose and wing but with the braces in the trunk.  
he is a member here  , that would be cool if this was his car .  

It is the one that Doug mentioned which was spied/photographed years ago with the wing braces but without the wing, and it is 414638 - but it's original colors are T5 with a tan interior.  I won't mention the owner's name, because he's declined in the past to reveal that info which is certainly his prerogative.  He's well aware of his car's connection to the posted video, and was even kind enough to send me a copy of it a while back (I stink at YouTube and could never have posted it myself).  I think his wife is French Canadian, but regardless she's already translated the narrative for him.  A few other people on this site already know him and his car's story too  ;)

Patronus

Quote from: Troy on December 06, 2012, 02:41:37 PM

Troy

Thats what I thought, SO cool to see someone grab some wheel in one. Thanks for posting!!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

maxwellwedge

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 06, 2012, 01:31:42 PM
Quote from: tan top on December 06, 2012, 12:55:53 PM
wow , awesome  stuff ,

Hard to see the VIN on the list but it may be car 397.....looks like 414639?

Was I right about it being #397? Very hard to read that part of the list.....VIN especially

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection