News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Graveyard carz Daytona ***NEW PICTURES ADDED*** 4 UNCLE FESTER

Started by moparstuart, December 07, 2012, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingcarenvy

When I had my Superbird (sigh) I was approached at every move with some guy telling me about how he used to go 250mph in his 440 hemi super bee daytona.  :smilielol: I would just smile and talk with them, after all my Dad used to refer to his 68 GTS as an "SS" Dart years after he sold it. I actually found and eventually bought that very same Superbird after the guy who owned it told me some tall tale using the wrong verbage. I always treat anyone who shows interest in my cars with respect. You never know where it will lead you.

r4daytona

Thought last night show was ok, was wondering what he used to blast my car. Wasn't sure if it was going to be soda or something else.  Guess it was something else.  Would have liked to see a bit more on my car, but it's coming, I'm patient.  Thought the stuff on the AAR was interesting since it made me think of the one I had.  Don't know if you guys caught it but when they had my car back and the camera was going around it you could see all these little specks of light coming through the floors and trunk.  Those were like a piece of lorraine swiss!!

WINGIN IT

"Don't know if you guys caught it but when they had my car back and the camera was going around it you could see all these little specks of light coming through the floors and trunk.  Those were like a piece of lorraine swiss!!"

Oh I caught that. Made me so thankful for undercoating... :lol:

Hey Tom, how much of a lag is there between when they do the work on the car and then air the episodes?

r4daytona

what your watching now was filmed from about oct 2011 ( I think) to this past september.  Mark is working on shortening the time frame.  That time frame is also somewhat driven by when the network wants new stuff.  The show is a work in progress and they're figuring it out.

WINGIN IT

Ok so there must be great strides of progress on your car , right? 
And you're just going to keep us in suspense..  :D ;)

r4daytona

They are doing a final fit/alignment on the nose and then going to paint.  I may though try and find some better repro Z-braces.  I know I won't be able to afford originals and besides that I know no one would sell a set.  I called Rick Farlis who i got my buckets from and going to try and work something out with him.  Now I just hope he and i can catch as many details (daytona specific) as possible.  I'm trying to do the research, and I do enjoy the hunt, I just hope I get most of it. Mark is doing his also.  I'm sure we'll probably miss something though. Thats ok, I never had or have any plans to make this car some "judged" car.  All I care about is if I like it.

hemi68charger

Quote from: r4daytona on February 14, 2013, 08:06:33 AM
They are doing a final fit/alignment on the nose and then going to paint.  I may though try and find some better repro Z-braces.  I know I won't be able to afford originals and besides that I know no one would sell a set.  I called Rick Farlis who i got my buckets from and going to try and work something out with him.  Now I just hope he and i can catch as many details (daytona specific) as possible.  I'm trying to do the research, and I do enjoy the hunt, I just hope I get most of it. Mark is doing his also.  I'm sure we'll probably miss something though. Thats ok, I never had or have any plans to make this car some "judged" car.  All I care about is if I like it.

Tom, have you contacted Mike at Dayclona? I can inquire for you if you want...... He may or may not have or know of anyone.... Just a thought..

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

i was thinking of buying a set of ricks z- braces , are they not up to snuff  ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

I know Joe (wingin it) is following your car closely and making comparisons to his own Daytona project. Joe's car is in final prime and we're currently working on the engine, k member, headlamp components and other odds and ends.  Joe's car is a rust free, very solid car and didn't need a rotisserie type restoration. It's starting to come together quite rapidly now. Should be painted in about two weeks and then won't take but a few days to assemble.
It's interesting to watch a show about a shop that is doing so many projects similar to what we are doing. I hope they get the show renewed for a few more seasons.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

3--Daytona

along these same lines,,,,,,Iwas at a car show several years ago....A very,very irate person came up to me for me to explain to him
WHY in HELL did you cut up a good Corvette to get that nose?  My reply is not printable.

Troy

Quote from: 3--Daytona on February 14, 2013, 12:30:02 PM
along these same lines,,,,,,Iwas at a car show several years ago....A very,very irate person came up to me for me to explain to him
WHY in HELL did you cut up a good Corvette to get that nose?  My reply is not printable.
:D I can imagine!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: 3--Daytona on February 14, 2013, 12:30:02 PM

I've endured the same question, although in an apparently friendlier manner...

::)
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

r4daytona

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 14, 2013, 08:12:01 AM

Tom, have you contacted Mike at Dayclona? I can inquire for you if you want...... He may or may not have or know of anyone.... Just a thought..

Troy

Troy, I tried contacting him several times by phone and email when I first got my car but never got a return call or email.  One time I called and heard the phone pick up, but then just hang up, so I gave up.  It's to bad because i did hear many good things.  I know i couldn't have pissed him off because I never dealt with him.  I needed headlight buckets, lower valance and better z-braces, so it's not like i wanted to just buy a $4.00 bolt.  Oh well.

Stu, I think Rick headlight buckets should be ok.  I did "test" fit them to my nose and they were a bit tight getting them over those tabs that fold down in the opening but they fit.  The one end plate did seem a bit long so to speak as it kept front of the bucket from fitting up aganist the nose.  Just trimmed the plate a little and it fit.  Then again, since I'm new at this I've had nothing to compare it to.  Still learning!

Hotrod, your shop sounds great. Like i've said before I get a bit jealous that most guys know WAY more than I do about cars or have a more solid car than mine, but then again at least I have one>

djcarguy

Howdy Tom, was just wondering as your planning went did ya ever consider other colors?  being not going oem judgeing how bout Burnt orange ,plum craZy,or some dark red or maroon?? just wondering,saw some burnt orange pic and how few of the mopars got that color?

I saw your car an bird in may and it lead me too months of chasing chargers and 70 plymouths to build a wing clone out of. sure hope to see your Daytona before it leaves the great state of Oregon.  all da best on build,DJ :D

r4daytona

Robin egg blue like the chevelles with a pink wing! What cha think??   Never had or have plans to judge, but am going original but maybe with the old DODGE on the wing so it's a little unique ... like me. :lol:    Not sure yet.  I plan on letting everyone that interested to come over, down or up to the shop when I'm there depending on your location in the country so yes you are welcome.

Moparbob75

rick fairless does have just about everything for inside of the noses. he is getting some new z brackets made now where they will fit even better, I helped him put a nose on his bird clone and everything fit good. He told me if you buy a few parts he will work with you on shipping. he is the other wing car guy that bought the car off of Zachary. If anybody needs prices or pics I will post them up if anybody wants to see them.

hotrod98

I thought Rick Fairless built choppers and owned Strokers in Dallas.  ::)

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Moparbob75

Well he does but this is a different Rick Fairless lol

djcarguy

Quote from: r4daytona on February 17, 2013, 05:30:46 PM
Robin egg blue like the chevelles with a pink wing! What cha think??   Never had or have plans to judge, but am going original but maybe with the old DODGE on the wing so it's a little unique ... like me. :lol:    Not sure yet.  I plan on letting everyone that interested to come over, down or up to the shop when I'm there depending on your location in the country so yes you are welcome.

BIG NO too egg blue........BUT A PINK WING WITH REST OF DAYTONA in brandy wine cleared and bufted to a satin silk finish,WOOD LOOK LIKE A CURVEY GAL IN A SEXY NIGHTY LAID OUT IN FRONT OF YA.THE PINK WING AN STRIPE WOOD BE THE TEASER ACCENT OF INOCENTS..Just an idea wood never loss it in any Daytona crowd ,and may grab a little press and attension. sure it will bee awesum in any color ,but with all the people saying another red Daytona why not change it up and blow some minds???   i was just letting my mind an creative side dream,just alittle.
all the best on build and having a Daytona..lattter DJ :drool5: :popcrn: will bee there to see it anytime,thanks for invite..DJ :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

r4daytona

what about petty blue with an 01 on the door, white wing, "plymouth" on the quarter and Daytona on the wing upright?  Sure to be a chick magnet!!

Mopar Nut

Quote from: r4daytona on February 19, 2013, 02:11:44 PM
what about petty blue with an 01 on the door, white wing, "plymouth" on the quarter and Daytona on the wing upright?  Sure to be a chick magnet!!
43 on door.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Homerr on February 19, 2013, 02:45:57 PM
Triple green, it'd be unique.
[/quote
That would make it worthless.

r4daytona

Sorry no green, my mom made me hate green after her 70"s fad of everything being green  :eek2: