News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hi, intro/ alternator issues =D

Started by Tj_saxon, December 10, 2012, 02:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisiecki1

Quote from: Tj_saxon on December 18, 2012, 04:50:51 PM
I noticed my reply didn't show up. I am thinking of taking all the wiring out of the engine bay. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Like Cash said, "one piece at a time"  :2thumbs:

One of the bulkhead connectors is going to go all the way to the front of the car for the headlights, etc.  You might want to leave that one, unless you're having problems there also.

I think I would pull the plug at the bulkhead and work my way out from there.  Don't yank.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Tj_saxon

What is a bulkhead? Sorry, wiring was never really my think. I figure it might be just unbolting the two bolts that all the wires lead to in the firewall and that thing just kinda sliding out. Is it not that simple?

lisiecki1

Quote from: Tj_saxon on December 18, 2012, 05:02:08 PM
What is a bulkhead? Sorry, wiring was never really my think. I figure it might be just unbolting the two bolts that all the wires lead to in the firewall and that thing just kinda sliding out. Is it not that simple?

The bulkhead connector is where all the wires pass through into the interior of the car.  You don't have to unbolt that.  There are 3 seperate plugs that are plugged into it on the engine compartment side.

Tj_saxon

Quote from: lisiecki1 on December 18, 2012, 05:05:19 PM
Quote from: Tj_saxon on December 18, 2012, 05:02:08 PM

The bulkhead connector is where all the wires pass through into the interior of the car.  You don't have to unbolt that.  There are 3 seperate plugs that are plugged into it on the engine compartment side.

Ok thank you!

johnatkens

Not sure how it went from a charging system test to throwing a wiring harness at it but do what ya gotta do, Good luck

Tj_saxon

Quote from: johnatkens on December 18, 2012, 05:11:33 PM
Not sure how it went from a charging system test to throwing a wiring harness at it but do what ya gotta do, Good luck

Only because there are some many clipped wires and what not. Not only in the engine bay but also under the dash. Thank you for the good luck wishes.

I almost have the whole harness out. I have everything except one plug that is plugged into the tranny. I believe it is bolted in. Is it safe to just unbolt it?

Also I havent found anything where this wire of the distributor should plug in at. Is it due to the fact I have an edlebrock carb? And what is the wire on top of the intake right beside the thermostat? It is broke.

Tj_saxon

Also I noticed on this diagram http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1973/73ChallengerA.JPG

Nothing plugs into the bulkhead at spots 20 and 4...Mine has stuff for 20 and 4 and I believe inside the cab they were wired together ( don't take my word for it) because their was wire wrapped around the 20 wire and 4 had tape around it with a random wire hanging out.

Tj_saxon

lisiecki1

Tj_saxon

Thanks!

Another question about wiring. In my bulkhead connector 4 has a clipped wire hanging there. In the diagram though there isn't supposed to be anything at 4. Any ideas?

lisiecki1

Quote from: Tj_saxon on December 19, 2012, 05:50:30 PM
Thanks!

Another question about wiring. In my bulkhead connector 4 has a clipped wire hanging there. In the diagram though there isn't supposed to be anything at 4. Any ideas?

Are you using a diagram specific to the car?  I know at least one of the diagrams that has been posted was for a challenger.....

Tj_saxon

Quote from: lisiecki1 on December 20, 2012, 08:51:21 AM
Quote from: Tj_saxon on December 19, 2012, 05:50:30 PM
Thanks!

Are you using a diagram specific to the car?  I know at least one of the diagrams that has been posted was for a challenger.....

I noticed that too lol. But yea I ended up printing out the charger/cornet diagrams and gluing them together so I could see it all at once XD.

Tj_saxon

Ok, so I believe I have slightly made progress...the car is charging now...but the fuse I installed that goes to the starter relay (25 amp) keeps blowing. I will put a new one in...start the car and it will run for a second and then blow. I noticed one of the time that the head lights flickered on and off and I saw that the ground to the head lights was loose. Could that loose ground have caused the fuse to blow when it was wiggling (I haven't got to test this quit yet due to the fact when I noticed it I was on my last fuse). Any ideas as always would be greatly appreciated. =D