News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Like a sieve

Started by Headrope, February 11, 2006, 11:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

It's not a Charger, but I own one that I'll be driving while trying to figure this out so here goes ...

I have a 90 Ram 3/4 ton 4X4 with a fuel injected 5.9L. Last week water was leaking from the timing cover. To change the gasket I had to spend two hours pulling the radiator, alternator, power steering, smog pump, etc. After everything was buttoned up I was into the motor for 5 hours.

Drove it for a week with no problems. But now it's leaking again. I'm sure I put the gaskets on correctly. Any ideas as to what the hell may be going on?
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Charger_Fan

I'm assuming the blocks are designed the same as the older small blocks...if so, there's two (pretty sure it's only two) water pump bolt holes that don't bottom out, they end up in the water jacket. If you don't goop them good with silicone, they'll leak past the threads.
Pretty dumb design, IMO. :rotz:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Headrope

Gooped up the threads with silicon and voila (or however the heck that word is spelled). Leak fixed.
Much thanks. Send me a PM if you're ever planning to be in the Tacoma, WA area. I owe you a beer, a milk - whatever you want.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Charger_Fan

Great! Glad to hear it worked. ;D
If I ever get up that way, I'll take you up on that offer. :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)