News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where does this belong??? Pic Included...

Started by Mfr426, February 12, 2006, 05:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hello All, here's another one of those little "oops" where does this thing go? This (what looks to be a vacuum line) comes off of the heater assembly. My car is an AC car. At first I thought it came thru the firewall (hence the plug on the line) but I've checked all my photos from tear down a decade ago and dont see any pics of this item?

Thanks all for any help and yes, soon these PITA questions will stop soon.

Mike R in Reading PA
69 Charger SE

Judhudson

That appears to be an actuator that opens a duct door in your Heating/Cooling duct assembly.  I'm not sure if a 69 is routed the same as a 73, but both lines go to a rubber block plug and the hoses all attach to the Heater/AC Control Unit Switch on your dash.

Mfr426

hmmmmm...do you mean the block that has about 6 lines in it and attaches to the AC switch in the dash?

Thanks

Mike

moparjohn

Mike, I'll try and look and let you know- this is a view from the cig ash tray right? By the way Mike, I'd love to come and see your car I'm only in central NJ it would be a 2 hour drive or less. Let me know if your up for a visit sometime. John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Judhudson

Here's what mine looks like (an ebay picture), It may be similiar to yours, but the head (block) in the image hooks onto the little tubes on your AC unit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-73-Dodge-Charger-vacumn-hoses-and-heads_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33548QQitemZ8036513987QQrdZ1

Mfr426

Jud, thanks for the link on ebay. I guess I'm wondering what this line passes thru that it needs this grommet? It makes me think it enters the engine compartment or goes thru something before it ends up at it's final spot.

Yes, this is a shot into the ash tray area with the camera just above the console.

Thanks!

Mike R in Reading PA

Judhudson

Hmmm, wait is that a grommet or a silver canister in the above picture?  If it is a grommet, then I think I made a mistake.  I don't remember seeing any of my hoses with a grommet....

Mfr426

Oh sorrry, that's a dirty grommet that should plug into some hole and seal the hose.

I should have taken another angle shot.

Thanks

Mike

DFS68_Charger

Nacho-RT74

thats a ONE WAY valve that only allows the vacuum line flow in one way to block the vacuum return. Is used on 3rd gens to A/C doors actuators even slightly different because is plastic and white.

Maybe 68 and 69 uses two of them, one to headlights doors and anothe rone to A/C vacuum lines to doors actuators.

That one it must be to A/C-heater since is on A/C-heater controls area to 2nd gens.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Mfr426

BINGO!!! That's where I thought it might go but could not find a picture of it anywhere. You just did DFS and THANKS!!!

I take it this runs to the vacuum "T" in the intake???? Does thave have to be installed or can it be plugged and hidden in the dash? I dont have any AC items under the hood less the water valve on the firewall.  Will plugging it have a negative effect on somthing or what will not work?

Thanks again all!

DFS68_Charger

It runs to the vacuum tree on the intake. You can plug it. The negative I see is that you would'nt be able to use your windshield defrosters if you needed them.

DFS

Mfr426

Well that will serve me right for driving in such conditions!!!!!

Thanks again.

Mike R

moparjohn

Glad you found it cause I couldn't find it under the dash- mines in place!
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Mfr426

I went out tonight and pulled the line thru the firewall. Sure enough it fit like a glove. Mystery solved!

Sendero

Just occured to me to bring this up reading this thread. The vacuum lines on an 70 AC car are clusterd by the AC control switch (buttons/levers controls) and out of that line cluster runs two vaccum lines out through the firewall via groomet and into the eng. comp. One lines runs to the AC Water bypass valve's vaccum actuator, the other line runs to a vaccum canister ( under the battery tray on a 70) . A separate line exits the vaccum canister ( vaccum supply) and it runs back to the firewall and along with the electrical wires and it is that line that attached to the vaccum port on the intake manifold.

I can only assume that a vaccum canister exists for other years, especially for AC cars, and it needs a feed from the engine vaccum and it needs to supply that feed back to the controller in the dash. The dash controller then feeds a separate line to the water bypass valve back in the eng comp.