News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Swapping a Hemi into a 440 Superbird - P/S question

Started by 70Sbird, January 15, 2013, 09:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Just a quick follow-up question.
It looks like this project is going to happen and the owner has already accumulated most of the parts.
He has a new Saginaw (oval filler neck) P/S pump and brackets for the Hemi, I believe they will bolt up based on the previous comments.
However, I can only remember seeing the Federal (round filler neck) pumps on Hemis. Is there a correct answer as to which pump is 100% correct for a Hemi in a Superbird, or were both used?
Thanks
Scott

Scott Faulkner

maxwellwedge

Federal pump is the only one for a hemi.....had a special pulley on the factory cars.

ernie

the saginaw will bolt up and function correctly i replaced a 440+6 in a cuda (that came with a saginaw pump,brackets and hoses) with a Hemi and it all bolted up and works just fine, but the federal is corrrect in restoration applications

pettybird

Come on man ;)

Quote from: pettybird on January 16, 2013, 01:02:16 AM
3. power steering pump and alternator mounts the same?

yes, though nearly every hemi car uses the Federal PS pump where our cars have the Saginaw piece.  I've seen either work on either.  both accessories bolt to the water pump housing, which is interchangeable.  the alternator would be more correct if you got one for an A/C car so it had a two-groove pulley.  I'm not sure the crank pulley from the 440 swaps.

moparstuart

he got us all excited and isnt even getting the car until the end of march 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on February 11, 2013, 11:28:41 AM

then you can race him to running  :slap:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on February 11, 2013, 01:52:04 PM

then you can race him to running  :slap:
he will win   :icon_smile_big: although mines runs it just doesnt move

ACUDANUT

70Sbird

this is true, Project "LB" is a go but the owner will be going to an indoor show on March 30 and I'll have the car after that. But, I'm going to be picking up the Hemi and most of the parts here in a week or so. The engine is done and hopefully the trans will be done shortly as well. I'm hoping to have it mostly together and ready so that when the Limelight Bird does show up the swapping over will only take a few weeks.
:2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

moparstuart

Quote from: 70Sbird on February 11, 2013, 09:14:30 PM

this is true, Project "LB" is a go but the owner will be going to an indoor show on March 30 and I'll have the car after that. But, I'm going to be picking up the Hemi and most of the parts here in a week or so. The engine is done and hopefully the trans will be done shortly as well. I'm hoping to have it mostly together and ready so that when the Limelight Bird does show up the swapping over will only take a few weeks.
:2thumbs:

I have a lime light bird  i'll bring you now , we can have that hemi tested and tuned and broken in   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: