News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel pump suggestions anoyone....and some oil pan sugggestions to.....

Started by hard-charger, February 14, 2006, 06:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hard-charger

hey! i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on fuel pumps?
i have a mech pump on right now, not sure what brand, i think its a mopar hp pump.  Anyways, always I had trouble with it. 
i have a blue holley electric pump and it came with a regulator.  but i dont have the slightest idea on how to hook it up.  I heard mount it in the rear below tank level, with a 10an hose from the tank to a 100 or somthing micron filter, then to the pump itself, then 8an line to a 10 micron filter after the pump.  then 8an line to the regulator, then 6an line from the regulator to the fuel guage.  then 6an to the carb.
This is what i herd.  it sounds somthing like a pain in a.. when  I dont even know how to hook up the wires on the pump.
id rather not use this pump if its gonna be like that.  id like to just replace the mech pump, and add a regultaor.
if anyone has a simple and affective way to go about using the electric pump, id like to here it, and how to wire it up.
i also head that mech pumps a not very affective past 500hp.  i figuer the engine to be past that so i went with the elec. pump. now i dont know how to hook it up. drat! :rant:
if there is a mech pump out there, that can be affective past 500hp, and can hold up on hard launches, with possably some weelstand, without fuel starvation, the info would be greatly apeciated :bow:
or if the electric is the only way....how the heck does this thing hook up and who sells what ,and how much more money is it gonna set me back?  ohh and should i get a aftermarket gas tank, if i use the electric pump? 

Please help!!!! thanks 

ohh and how neccesary is the 8 quart milidon pan for 6500+ rpm.  it scraps the ground alot, even tho its supposed to be low profile.

firefighter3931

Carter makes a nice high volume mechanical street pump that's rated at 120gph which is plenty for 600hp engine combos. I've run this pump in the past with excellent results. The street pump is rated at 6psi so it won't blow the needle off the seat by over pressurizing the bowls.....that is the one you want. Around $60.00 at Summit racing. I use the big Fram cannister filter with this pump.....the fram filter has a replacable element.

MP sells a nice 6qt sump street hemi pan that fits the Charger chassis perfectly and doesn't hand below the K-frame. With the filter, capacity is 7 qts. I've used this pan with excellent results as well. Nice baffleing for oil control on acceleration/decelration. This si the same pan that comes on the 528ci crate hemi engines. Mancini racing sells the pan with a pickup as a package for ~ $150.00.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

Milodon has a large capacity circle track pan stock depth but wide , I can look up the part # if needed

my69

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 14, 2006, 10:11:05 AM

MP sells a nice 6qt sump street hemi pan that fits the Charger chassis perfectly and doesn't hand below the K-frame. With the filter, capacity is 7 qts. I've used this pan with excellent results as well. Nice baffleing for oil control on acceleration/decelration. This si the same pan that comes on the 528ci crate hemi engines. Mancini racing sells the pan with a pickup as a package for ~ $150.00.

Ron

Ron!
Thanks for your reply on the oil pan issue!! 
MY question is what year charger are you referring to?  Will this work for the '68-70 chargers "'383" :-\
And could ya please tell me what the part# is for that pan? 

I do have  the "newest" flyer for mancini racing, and am currently making up a "list" to make a order sometime before there flyer prices end ;)

thanks for your time!!

firefighter3931

My69, yep the pan will fit fine on a 68-70 charger with a 383. All BB including the hemi have the same pan bolt pattern on the block.  ;)

When you order the pan make sure to order the matching 3/8 in pickup to fit your 383 block. The 1/2in pickup is for the hemi or if your's has been drilled out for that modification. Here's a link to the mancini websire for the pan and pickup set. You might want to consider a windage tray as well.

http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/streethemoil.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

my69

Great thanks,
I already have the "windage tray"  :icon_smile_cool:
My engine builder says AND I agree with him that mopar had way to small a pan on there engines (big blocks) for I want a little more "assurance" ( insurance) for this engine :icon_smile_approve:

Thanks again for your response!!! :cheers:
Winston

firefighter3931

You're welcome Winston. With a windage tray and the hemi pan & pickup you'll be set. Don't be afraid to run a high volume oil pump with this setup....7qts of oil is lots and you won't suck the pan dry. Good luck with the build !  :thumbs:

Ron

hard-charger

hey guys thanks for the info. it was very helpful! those big 8qt. pans always gave me trouble. :rotz: ive been thew 2 already. i guess i need more ground clearence in this neck of the woods. to many dips and bumps.

hard-charger

hey guys thanks for the info. it was very helpful! those big 8qt. pans always gave me trouble. :rotz: ive been thew 2 already. i guess i need more ground clearence in this neck of the woods. to many dips and bumps.

I defanatly will go with the hemi pan! now I got another question. will regular ol oil pan bolts be long enough with the pan and windigtray? or will they work just fine?

thanks!!! H-C :flame:

Ghoste

Chryco Psycho

the windage tray is only .025 thick so yes the stock bolts will be fine