News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you think there's much of a market for the 4-door "almost" muscle cars?

Started by bull, January 22, 2013, 07:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm talking like '73 Coronets, '67 Belvaderes, '71 Satellites, etc.? Even station wagons. Do you think there's any demand for these cars? If so what's your reasoning? Why would someone choose to buy a grocery-getter or would-be cop car instead of something like a '71 Cuda or a '68 Charger?

68X426

I approve of them because they are sleepers. They can be made street fast, track fast, and still are sleepers.

So looks aren't everything, right?

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

jaak

Although I will admit, I have seen a couple of 4 doors I wouldn't mind having, for the most part....4 doors = parts cars, for the 2 door versions.

Jason

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Back N Black

I would love to have a 4 door Mopar as a daily driver or a wagon. It just cool driving an old Mopar.

hemi24

Here Pappy Cline car from Wichita it sold for $600,000 4 or 5 years ago at Barrett Jackson the other 4 door Hemi car witch is white sits in Don Garlits museum when Don bought it he paid $13,000 from a friend of mine man if Dave only knew both cars ran the streets of Wichita till the early 1980s the story's i could tell.

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: hemi24 on January 22, 2013, 08:43:30 PM
Here Pappy Cline car from Wichita it sold for $600,000 4 or 5 years ago at Barrett Jackson the other 4 door Hemi car witch is white sits in Don Garlits museum when Don bought it he paid $13,000 from a friend of mine man if Dave only knew both cars ran the streets of Wichita till the early 1980s the story's i could tell.

Do they both have the original drivetrain?   If so, that would be nothing short of amazing.   Hard enough keeping a Hemi in a 2-door.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Mopar Nut

Quote from: hemi24 on January 22, 2013, 08:43:30 PM
I wouldn't mine owning that 4 dr Coronet Hemi car.  :drool5:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

hemi24

yes i know for a fact that both cars have the original drive train in them plus the white car never had the motor out its low mileage when Don Gallits bought from Dave..

1970Moparmann

Certain ones I think are very cool. 

Here is a buds Coronet Wagon 383 original 4 speed ! 

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Paul G

4 door and wagons will never really be high demand cars. They are not sporty or have any real appeal. They were passenger cars, family trucksters. They can be made to look really cool and perform very well. But they will never be high dollar cars. That is just my thinking, which can be way off base sometimes.  :-\
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

The70RT

They don't make as many reproduction parts for them for one and they don't look like muscle. I wouldn't mind cloning an old police car.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

polywideblock

wagons hook up way better than sedans(better weight transfer) that's the only reason to get one that  and theres room for EVEYONE :2thumbs:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Alaskan_TA

I bought a 1970 Coronet 4-door a few years ago just because I wanted to get one before they were all gone.

I appreciate the history of Chrysler including the bread & butter cars. If I had 100K to spend on Mopars, I would buy up original /6 & 318 cars. A c-body convertible would be on the list too with any engine size as well as an Imperial.

I do not need to go fast & I have never cared what any of my cars might someday be worth.

TruckDriver

I think Nascar Junior Johnson has a 4 door Coronet Hemi car too that's all original low miles in his collection. I remember watching a tv show about moonshiners, and he showed the car and said, if I remember right, he actually used that car to run moonshine in it. Been a couple of years since I saw that show.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

I also appreciate the history and there's something about these cars that takes you back to simpler times, same sentiment as with the muscle cars but not quite as sexy, I guess.

TruckDriver

PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

WHITE AND RED 69

I dig em. Especially that they are a lot cheaper. If I find a 72 coronet I'm picking it up as a cruiser.   :yesnod:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

1974dodgecharger

There was a 4 door, 440, EFI, nicely built coronet up in portland for 15k!!  it was pretty sweet I thought.

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3450021596.html

Then there is this wagon coronet down here in Phoenix area the guy wanted 25k 6 to 9 months ago then 20k, then 19k, then I think its down to 18k.

bull

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 23, 2013, 03:44:35 AM
There was a 4 door, 440, EFI, nicely built coronet up in portland for 15k!!  it was pretty sweet I thought.

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3450021596.html

I just saw that ad again today. Nice build, as you say, but $15k for a 4 door? Maybe. :shruggy:

Cooter

Quote from: Paul G on January 22, 2013, 10:15:16 PM
4 door and wagons will never really be high demand cars. They are not sporty or have any real appeal.

That WAS the thinking...It would seem Wagons are "Cool" now. I thought the same thing bout Cadillacs, but it would seem folks are getting tired of seeing the "Typical" Musclecar.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

MoParJW

The main reason I bought my 4-door Satellite was because it was only a fraction of the price of a coupe, and it was pretty much rust free.

But I also like the design.
68-70 4-door B-bodys are almost identical to coupes, they have the same curves the coupes have I mean  :P (except for the roof ofcourse)

4-doors will probably never be high dollar cars, but i do see them becoming more popular.
A couple years back you could buy a nice 68-70 4-door for a thousand bucks or so on ebay, lately I haven't seen a nice one go for less than double that.

And ofcourse, the fact that there were a lot of these cars in awesome movies like ''gone in 60 seconds'' also helps  :coolgleamA:
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

Ghoste

Wagons have always had a following, just look at the Nomad crowd or the surfers.  The other ones are good daily drivers and cool to see from a nostalgic view but they will never have the hardcore sex appeal of a two door.  Sorry Euro sedan style fans but as much as they may like them now, the older ones were purchased by old married guys with families.  How many original muscle car owner stories end with "but then I got married and as soon as we had a kid we traded in my _______ for a four door."?  The two doors were the cars for the bachelors and the romance of that lifestyle drives their higher value today.

Robert96

I have a 96 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon LTD. It's loaded and runs like a bat out of hell!!!  Wagons are cool.

warpspeed

Look at it this way. 

Today, you can get a beautiful driving new car, take a Charger, and drive it anywhere, get great gas mileage, comfortable, great handling, its quiet on the road, etc.  (you get the idea).  I can go on for hours on the benefits, right?  But, the electronics is going to be a real expensive item to work with later in the car's life.  Can you find all the sensors that keep that thing going?  How about figuring out the wiring.  That is why the cost to take your new car back to the dealership is so expensive.  They have to buy the very expensive tools to just diagnose your car problems.

Then, take the  late 60's and 72's four doors,  easy to work on, cheap to maintain, low taxes, no payments to make, SAFER in an accident.  Can drive anywhere without worrrying about a computer shutting you down.   A/C is available. Comfortable?!! Can be modified easily for performance.  And everyone loves your car.  One other advantage, I can rebuild nearly everything on it.  From the water pump all the way to the engine/drivetrain.  It is very repairable without a computer to read the engine code to see what is wrong.

Example, I am driving an 85 Diplomat to and from work.  Safer in an accident, no payments, cost a little bit more to fill it more often, but, lower insurance costs, (can get more replacement parts, (cheap) in the junkyard.)  This is a really comfortable driving car.  Tunes are good and I am just cruising along.

Two door muscle cars.  I AIN'T driving my Challengers, or Chargers every day.  Too valuable!!

F8-4life

Cars are like women, all have value and great aspects to them.. but as humans we all have certain tastes  and tend to like only certain models. (thank god everyone is differant) Or else we would all be chasing the same women (& cars)

I personally love the 4 doors and wagons (how can anybody dislike wagons??) Theoretically the 4 doors are just as valuable peice of americana as any muscle cars are. Liking only muscle cars is much the same as "everyone" wanting 69 camaros...and Im sure you guys arent slaves to the system so why stick to what the crowd dictates is "cool" anyway..

jar1292

:faint: Wow I am surprised that Ponch hasn't visited yet with his motto.....
Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

TheGhost

Love them.  Especially the "fuselage" style late 60s/early 70s models.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Daytona R/T SE

The big old four doors are pretty cool.

If you buy one, make sure that you are totally in love with it...

Because...

Someday...

If you EVER decide to sell it...

Nobody will buy it. :Twocents:

chargerman69

I think there is a slow growin market for the 4-doors, people talk bad about them and destory them but one day can come were 4-doors will be rare and not many will be able to find them

MoParJW

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 23, 2013, 08:24:38 PM

Because...

Someday...

I agree, especially if you're going to invest in it
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

Paul G

How cool would it be to take a 3rd b body four door and put a modern suspension system under it, lowered and level, 17" and 18" wheel/tire package, big brakes, 400 hp gen 3 hemi, gear it down, use an overdrive automatic, front bucket seats, kick asz sound system and paint. just imagine how cool that would be. Problem is you gotta have really deep pockets because your $40k investment would only be worth $20k if your lucky.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: bull on January 22, 2013, 07:17:39 PM
I'm talking like '73 Coronets, '67 Belvaderes, '71 Satellites, etc.? Even station wagons. Do you think there's any demand for these cars? If so what's your reasoning? Why would someone choose to buy a grocery-getter or would-be cop car instead of something like a '71 Cuda or a '68 Charger?

Friends father had one of these,used to ride in it a lot.That body style actually is decent for a four door.

1974dodgecharger

The past year there has been 3 cars specifically the 4 door coronet, modern charger, and some other car I think an old satellite all 4 doors.  What these guys did was shave the door handles on the rear and bondo it in and then tried to bondo the door linings etc.. to make it a 2 door  :rofl:  poor dudes.

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 23, 2013, 08:24:38 PM

Because...

Someday...

71 SE3834V

4 doors are cheaper and can start/restart an addition!

Back when I was 18 (1979) I bought a nice solid, low mileage (57,000) '64 Cutlass 2dr from the original owner. Sold it 4 yrs later to start my own business.
Fast foward to when my daughter graduated college & needed a vehicle. Found this '72 Galaxie 4dr w/41,000+ mi. and paid $1500 for it! Yeah that's original paint! I had forgot how much fun it was to drive these old vehicles. We've put about 8,000 miles on it over 5 or so years putting very little into it. It started me attending cruises & car shows and ultimately led to my finding the '71 SE.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Bobs69

Quote from: jar1292 on January 23, 2013, 06:05:05 PM
:faint: Wow I am surprised that Ponch hasn't visited yet with his motto.....

And what would Ponch say?  I've got to ask.

bull

One reason I started this thread was because of this thing: http://salem.craigslist.org/ctd/3445987320.html

I was about two hours away from heading down to buy it when the wife and I finally made a decision on getting braces for our daughter. :brickwall: So close.

GOTWING

the coolest four door i ever found was in 1995, in our small town there was a 70Chrysler 300 four door with the h.p.440 TNT  :drool5:, it belonged to a elderly couple who had bought it new, it was maroon in color no extra options at all, no air or power options. The car ran very strong after a "tuneup" . i think that car would be worth a bit more today being it was all original paint and garaged etc. The car ended up being sold to Herb from Herbs Mopar parts. I heard the motor and trans was pulled. :eek2:

The70RT

Quote from: GOTWING on January 25, 2013, 02:07:10 PM
the coolest four door i ever found was in 1995, in our small town there was a 70Chrysler 300 four door with the h.p.440 TNT  :drool5:, it belonged to a elderly couple who had bought it new, it was maroon in color no extra options at all, no air or power options. The car ran very strong after a "tuneup" . i think that car would be worth a bit more today being it was all original paint and garaged etc. The car ended up being sold to Herb from Herbs Mopar parts. I heard the motor and trans was pulled. :eek2:

That's what happen the most of them, they saved a  2 door to live on again.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

aussiemuscle

"4-door 'almost' muscle cars?" It's funny because in Australia, we always had four door muscle cars. in the mid sixties, the two doors weren't very popular, but they wanted something like the mustang here (because it was going gangbusters in the usa), so Al Turner (ceo Ford Australia) decided to mustang-up the Falcon. I heard the Ford USA board said he was crazy!  :smilielol:

this is what he came up with

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Robert96 on January 23, 2013, 12:19:01 PM
I have a 96 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon LTD. It's loaded and runs like a bat out of hell!!!  Wagons are cool.

Dude I've been impressed with the Buick wagons ever since the episode of Top Gear US where they filled all 3 of the challenge cars with water and the Buick wagon outlasted the others by a long shot.   I can't find vids of that but here's the clip of dude in his woody trying to climb a hill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbaFY8ZRbxo

hatersaurusrex

Bobs69

To answer the original question.

NO.

But!   The kids these days have different taste.  They are stupid and wrong, but still different.  Probably because no one can afford the gas for a real machine.  So they are forced to look else where for their fun. 

Also, I say the fu****** managers at the auto factories have the assembly lines set up for 4 door cars and that it.  They don't want to waste time (ie:  money) changing the lines over.

And as someone else already said.  Everyone has different tastes.   Thank god. 

I seen an episode of GEARZ I think it was where he had an old station wagon that belonged to Holley as a test vehicle (I think).  And that thing hauled ass. And it's already been said, it had the old school feel and looks to it.

So I guess I'd have to say, they are nice to see around but I'm not buying one.  I'm glad other people like them.  Glad I worked that out.  wow.

GOTWING

that 76 fury is nice, it's crying for police car wheels with chrome lug nuts and raised white letter tires, and duals of course. :2thumbs:

70 sublime

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1972-dodge-coronet-W0QQAdIdZ443840015

I keep looking at this one thinking it might be a good first car for my son
He does not seem to be jumping up and down about it
(my daughters first car was a 76 Gremlin 5 years ago)

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

TruckDriver

Quote from: bull on January 25, 2013, 01:15:01 PM
One reason I started this thread was because of this thing: http://salem.craigslist.org/ctd/3445987320.html

I was about two hours away from heading down to buy it when the wife and I finally made a decision on getting braces for our daughter. :brickwall: So close.

I'd be all over that if I was closer, cause I got the money to get that! I so want that car!  :drool5:  :drool5: :drool5:

When I was in my teens, I remember a guy had one of those in my town that looked identical to that one (except for a black interior), but he put a 4spd in it. The damn thing was fast too.
PETE

Bobs69

Quote from: 70 sublime on January 27, 2013, 09:21:01 AM

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1972-dodge-coronet-W0QQAdIdZ443840015

I keep looking at this one thinking it might be a good first car for my son
He does not seem to be jumping up and down about it
(my daughters first car was a 76 Gremlin 5 years ago)

Of course he isn't all over it.  That's not a panty puller.  And its not cool to most insecure young kids.  I actually wouldn't mind that to sit next to my general lee.  I'm a few hours away from Oshawa but won't pursue another project. 

nvrbdn

i like the old coronet wagon. used to have one. like already said, price is a big thing. a guy  wanting a mopar that doesnt have a big bank account could buy a rusted out 2nd gen charger with no parts for 5 grand, or find a decent shaped, doesnt need a lot 4 door or wagon for the same and be cruising.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

stripedelete

They will have the same appeal as any other post war four door.  No one is breaking down the doors to get a hold of a 54 4dr (anything), but, if one comes a long on the cheap,  it would be a fun car to drive.  (with the exception of wagons)

Bobs69

Bob T

Quote from: aussiemuscle on January 26, 2013, 12:40:00 AM
"4-door 'almost' muscle cars?" It's funny because in Australia, we always had four door muscle cars. in the mid sixties, the two doors weren't very popular, but they wanted something like the mustang here (because it was going gangbusters in the usa), so Al Turner (ceo Ford Australia) decided to mustang-up the Falcon. I heard the Ford USA board said he was crazy!  :smilielol:

this is what he came up with

Agreed, and when you hear of a GTHO Phase III changing hands for over $300k , my eyes boggle  
Also  Chrysler Valiant Pacers too. "Pacer the Family Racer "  :lol:  And 4 door Holden Monaros and HQ Premiers. Actually, a mate of mine just picked up a deregistered silver 74 HQ Statesman - the oddball one with the factory 350 Chevy in it, one of 600 odd built, mainly for the South African and NZ export market. He paid 6 grand for it, no rust at all and body and brightwork in great shape, been sitting for around 20 years inside storage. Has just done the brakes and put a new cam,lifters and timing gear set set in it, runs strong now  :coolgleamA:  
Old Dog, Old Tricks.