News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN stamping on trunk lip

Started by rainbow4jd, January 31, 2013, 02:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainbow4jd

My Bird did not have the radiator yoke stampings at all - so where ELSE can you find the VIN on the body?

pettybird

your stamped numbers will be on the left side, about halfway in the middle of the trunk opening.  it's underneath the weatherstripping, and will start with A0xxxx.  curious that it would be rotted THERE. 

lots of birds (most?) do not have core support stamps. 

rainbow4jd

it sat outside from 72-83 with apparently no weatherstripping as the original owner had intended to restore it but never did.

Here is photo from day I got it in 83, and its hard to tell but there is no weather strip on trunk (there wasn't even a trunk lid). 

You can see it looks like he started to repair the rear panel, but never finished it. 

That's my friend Bryan with a brush and dust pan, just sweeping rust and crap out of the trunk.

Almost every surface that water would run or drip we've had to replace or repair.

Anyway, none of the numbers I've seen looked like a VIN number - but I didn't know where to look.

rainbow4jd

another pic of what I started with

moparstuart

driver side about 1/2 way  sometimes you can see the numbers better on the bottom side of the lip  ( basically looking up from the trunk floor .   :Twocents:  it wont be the full vin  just the last numbers 

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

rainbow4jd

mopar stuart - so the stampings are on the underside?

It may be a moot point since now the car looks like this....

JB400

The numbers are on the raised lip closest to the trunk opening where the weatherstrip goes.  Should be about in the middle front to back.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

Quote from: rainbow4jd on February 01, 2013, 06:52:22 PM
mopar stuart - so the stampings are on the underside?

It may be a moot point since now the car looks like this....
paint builds up on the top side so its really hard to see the numbers some time
usually you can see the impression well on the underside

rainbow4jd

Thanks all - I can't wait to get back down and look at my bird and see if anything is left.   I'm hoping I misunderstood when my body guy said - "i had to redo the trunk opening"  - but in asking him to look for VIN stampings he said he found nothing that had a VIN.   So maybe its all a misunderstanding (fingers crossed)

rainbow4jd

Quote from: pettybird on January 31, 2013, 02:23:52 PM
your stamped numbers will be on the left side, about halfway in the middle of the trunk opening.  it's underneath the weatherstripping, and will start with A0xxxx.  curious that it would be rotted THERE.  

I hope you won't laugh at me.... is it an "o" or "zero" - I've always wanted to know

And by the way, shouldn't the numbers run 0Axxxxxx  ?

62 Max

hemi68charger

Most important thing now, if the original driver's side drip rail of the trunk has been replaced, try to get the original peice ASAP... The stamping is on the portion of the drip rail that the weatherstrip rubber is cemented/glued to....... Found this picture on a thread here in Charger Board-World.

It should look something similar to this on the driver's side located about middle.. As Doug has eluded to, the B8 here would be replaced with an A0, the 0 = 1970 and then the other numbers should match your Vehicle Order Number - VON ( 2nd row on your fender tag )
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

cdr

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 13, 2013, 09:13:08 AM
Most important thing now, if the original driver's side drip rail of the trunk has been replaced, try to get the original peice ASAP... The stamping is on the portion of the drip rail that the weatherstrip rubber is cemented/glued to....... Found this picture on a thread here in Charger Board-World.

It should look something similar to this on the driver's side located about middle.. As Doug has eluded to, the B8 here would be replaced with an A0, the 0 = 1970 and then the other numbers should match your Vehicle Order Number - VON ( 2nd row on your fender tag )

i dont know if von & vin are the same, but on a 1970 it should be the VIN,68 HAD THE VON  :yesnod: ;D
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

moparstuart

As you can see in troys example they can be very lite stamping showing so you have to look hard
and as i said before once paint gets in there its easier to locate it from below

pettybird

Quote from: rainbow4jd on February 13, 2013, 08:23:40 AM
Quote from: pettybird on January 31, 2013, 02:23:52 PM
your stamped numbers will be on the left side, about halfway in the middle of the trunk opening.  it's underneath the weatherstripping, and will start with A0xxxx.  curious that it would be rotted THERE. 

I hope you won't laugh at me.... is it an "o" or "zero" - I've always wanted to know

And by the way, shouldn't the numbers run 0Axxxxxx  because my VIN is RM23 U OA 158628, so I would be looking for OA158628?

It's an "A" and a "0" for assembly plant and model year.  I'm not sure why the reversed them in the stampings, but it's uniform.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: cdr on February 13, 2013, 09:36:22 AM

i dont know if von & vin are the same, but on a 1970 it should be the VIN,68 HAD THE VON  :yesnod: ;D

Agree.

68 stampings are a one year only item. Trying to compare 68 to any other year only confuses things.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on February 13, 2013, 01:23:53 PM
Quote from: cdr on February 13, 2013, 09:36:22 AM

i dont know if von & vin are the same, but on a 1970 it should be the VIN,68 HAD THE VON  :yesnod: ;D

Agree.

68 stampings are a one year only item. Trying to compare 68 to any other year only confuses things.

My bad... you are all correct when I reflect.. Yes, the last 6 should be the seq# of the VIN, I know better. Regarding the picture and referencing the stamping, it's the best thing I could come up with..........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

boss429kiwi

Hi

I went searching for my VIN on my bird.

First photo is where I found it. LH side, about center of the wing (OA 171628).

The VIN, which is hard to see.

The VIN located on the radiator panel (OA 171628), unfortunately someone has drilled two holes  :icon_smile_angry:

Gary
New Zealand
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

rainbow4jd

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

I've asked my Body Guy to re-check this and make sure I understand what he means by "replaced".    I don't know if it means cut out or he just welded another piece over the old and ground it down or what.

I'm hoping he says "just sanded the hell out of it, but you can still see it" OR "that wasn't the section I had to replace"

Wish me luck!

kab69440

Quote from: boss429kiwi on February 13, 2013, 05:32:56 PM

The VIN located on the radiator panel (OA 171628), unfortunately someone has drilled two holes  :icon_smile_angry:

Gary
New Zealand

Did that car originally have an export tag?  Looks to be about the proper size and placement for one...
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Mopar Nut

Quote from: rainbow4jd on February 13, 2013, 07:18:38 PM
YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

I've asked my Body Guy to re-check this and make sure I understand what he means by "replaced".    I don't know if it means cut out or he just welded another piece over the old and ground it down or what.

I'm hoping he says "just sanded the hell out of it, but you can still see it" OR "that wasn't the section I had to replace"

Wish me luck!
Fingers crossed here.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

boss429kiwi

Quote from: kab69440 on February 13, 2013, 07:22:54 PM
Quote from: boss429kiwi on February 13, 2013, 05:32:56 PM

Gary
New Zealand

Did that car originally have an export tag?  Looks to be about the proper size and placement for one...

Good point.  :2thumbs:
It has the New Zealand import VIN tag mounted elsewhere in the engine bay, but these holes could have been for the UK VIN tag? Where it used to live.

Gary

NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

talkiemopar

I have an export tag that came off a 1970 roadrunner.It is 4-3/16 inches long,1-5/8 inches wide,and is 3-11/16 inches between the holes. the ends of the tag are round.Hope this helps.  Rick.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701