News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

installing headrest hardware 1968 charger

Started by willy c, February 23, 2013, 09:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy c

Does anyone have pictures of the headrest rebuild kit installed in the seat back of a 1968 charger? I purchased a kit from B/E & A and they said it doesn't come with instructions. Pictures of the kit installed would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Willy C

469 runner

g-man70

Here are pictures of original parts. Hope it helps.

Fred

I'm interested too.
Need more pics please. What do they mount onto inside the frame?

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

warpspeed

Perfect timing.  I am installing a kit from BE/A too. My plastic guides don't have holes which is confusing.  But, now I have to find a bolt with a smooth flat head to make this work based upon the second picture.  thank you thank you thank you.

Fred

Quote from: Fred on April 05, 2013, 10:37:27 PM
I'm interested too.
Need more pics please. What do they mount onto inside the frame?

:bump:

twenty mike mike

The kit includes four black guides, two that will allow the headrest mounts to pass through, and two that are stops. The kit only includes hardware for the bezels, so you'll have to source the screws for the guides and the bezel bases (the white things). Since the bezel bases are virgins and will require a lot of torque to establish the threads the first time, I recommend that you get a couple of extra screws of that size to do that job before the upholstery is back in place. You do not want to strip the heads of those nice new bezel screws, nor do you want to slip off the head and poke a hole in the top of your seat upholstery.

The holes in the seat should already be there. Just hold the guides in place and back drill. Some other posts have had complaints about the guides not being drilled, but that's probably just as well. The holes in my seat were not anywhere close to being centered on the guides. As I recall, the holes for the guides were halfway between a #6 and and #8 screw (whatever that translates to in Oz), so I had to open them up a bit.

The metal clips are placed on top of the upper guides. Once they were in place, I had to bend them considerably to make them engage the notches on the headrest mounts.

Note the bases for the bezels have a large hole in the top. The bottoms of the bezels have a lip that fits into them, so you need to cut away some of the seat foam prior to reinstalling the upholstery. If you don't do that, you'll probably have waves in the vinyl around the bezels. The upholstery will have to be trimmed as well. Best to have the entire cover back on and hog ringed to ensure the trimming is done where it should be.

Fred

Thanks very much twenty mike mike . Your input is very much appreciated.    :2thumbs:     I can get on with it now.

warpspeed

Finished mine last weekend.  Found out that I had to work on the top holes to make sure the headrest post lined up and popped in smoothly.  Just took some filing, not too hard.  Then used some screws from Lowes to attach the plastic guides.  Not hard either.  Look loverly.

Fred

Ghoste

Fred

Especially as they're far and few between.