News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How Loud Are Your Cars

Started by JMF, March 05, 2013, 11:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstryr

I have 2" Dougs to 3" exhaust and magnaflows out to chrome tips and it is just too loud.  The shop guy talked me out of the Dynomax super turbos w/23" cases that I thought I would like and wish I hadn't listened. 

Don't get me wrong, the car sounds awesome but to drive that ungodly loud thing isn't a pleasure any longer.  One night last summer I left the house at 10:30 pm for a 15 minute cruise and 1-1/2 hours later I pulled into the driveway and called it a night.  After 60+ miles with the windows down driving next trucks, cars, and jersey barriers my left ear had taken so much abuse that I have lost some hearing.  The sound of the exhaust reflecting off the the barriers and vehicles was too much for too many miles. :brickwall: 

I'll likely go with the super turbos this summer. 
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

oldschool

i'm with ya dstryr. loud exhaust is just fatiguing.....that is horsepower i will gladly give up.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

lasvegas69charg

Quote from: Mick70RR on March 08, 2013, 05:14:22 PM
Quote from: lasvegas69charg on March 06, 2013, 12:33:08 AM
mine is too loud and has horrible drone. Hoa sent me a letter stating I can't start my car until 8am weekdays and 9 am weekends. Its 1 3/4" headman headers, flowmaster delta 40 3" h-pipe exhaust kit.

Same exhaust I have except the headers are Hookers. It's loud but I've only got one neighbour who complains but he complains about everything. Also got exhaust cutouts so it's really loud when I want it to be. Who sent you the letter, Hoa?

it was the hoa
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

Cooter

Been my experience with HOA's, they want to call the law on someone with a loud car, but just take a peek behind their closed, quiet doors one time....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RIDGERACER383

I got 3" pipes with Warlock mufflers and it wakes my neighbors up whenever I start it.They sound great with a real deep tone.I have really low compression too which is a factor for the loudness.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Chryco Psycho

Cooter

Rememebr too, that the size of pipes makes a huge difference in how loud a certain muffler/system is as well.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

werner

I have a 528 hemi, 3" TTI exhaust with X pipe, no tail pipes.

Have the 3 " Dynomax Ultra flo's

Love them. Not too loud at start up but you know there is 600 hp there. When you go to W.O.T she's loud

No drone in car at hwy speeds and with the over drive on hwy you can actually hear the stereo

Believe they flow 3 times the cfm than the 50 series flow masters
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

Brightyellow69rtse

440 .055 over with cheap old hedman headers, 3" summit dual exhaust kit with x pipe. dougs electric cutouts (most fun thing ive ever added to the car id do it again and again and again) full length tail pipes and dynomax welded ultraflows.    any performance application should use ultraflows imo. they sound great and i actually have a picture of me holding a baseball bat through the muffler.

71ChallengeHer

I have Doug Headers on my small block. 2 1/2 in exhaust with Flowmasters. Running out the back with stock tips made to fit the 2 1/2.   Yes, is loud and lumpy. Sets of car alarms.  :rofl:   I love it. Sitting at lights, people have no idea what I have under the hood. If it's too loud, your too old.  :Twocents:   It doesn't bother my neighbors, they love it when I fire it up.  :cheers: 

oldschool

{quote} If it's too loud, your too old.
if it's low on power, and not loud enough, your still to young to understand...:nana:

to me, nothing funnier than loud azz exhaust, and putting down 300 horsepower to the wheels, and thinking you have something.....spend  the money on some horsepower or gas or something :Twocents:
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: oldschool on March 19, 2013, 07:27:47 PM
if it's low on power, and not loud enough, your still to young to understand...:nana:

to me, nothing funnier than loud azz exhaust, and putting down 300 horsepower to the wheels, and thinking you have something.....spend  the money on some horsepower or gas or something :Twocents:
. Don't worry , honey . I have hp and gas money.  ;). And I ain't scared.  :D.   

oldschool

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on March 19, 2013, 07:38:38 PM

now how do i respond to that  :icon_smile_big:  :2thumbs:  :notworthy:
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

BlaineKaiser450

My plymouth with a pretty built 440 has shorty headers with 3 inch straight pipes exiting before the rear wheels. When you're inside it, it is pretty loud but, to me at least, not obnoxious. From the outside is another story though, you can literally hear it over a mile away if you are trying to hear it, makes some SERIOUS noise.
1969 Plymouth Satellite - 440 - 727 - 3.73 - 8 3/4 Suregrip

1993 Dodge W350 Dually

1999 F250 7.3

mauve66

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on March 19, 2013, 07:38:38 PM

i read it too fast and thought she said she had HP and GAS, i was going to suggest Beano or something.................... :hah:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

red69superbee

ive had the giant flowmasters on my car for years, i really like it cuz its quiet.Seems like they are 22x12x5 inches, kinda like a suitcase

projectanimal

northwest CT

Paul G

Quiet exhaust belongs on a Buick. Don't matter how much power you are making as long as it runs good and sounds good. Muscle cars should sound good whether you make 250 hp or 550.

As for the op' question. I run long tube headers with an x pipe through turbo mufflers out the back. I have Pypes electric cut-outs ahead of the x pipe. That is where they fit the best. It is really awesome to open the dumps whenever you want for a very loud time, then have a nice and low rumble when closed.

I would not use the Pypes brand again. Way to much trouble with them and they dont seal off completely.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Fred

Quote from: Paul G on March 25, 2013, 02:42:58 PM
Quiet exhaust belongs on a Buick. Don't matter how much power you are making as long as it runs good and sounds good. Muscle cars should sound good whether you make 250 hp or 550.

My thoughts exactly.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Mebsuta

I have ancient 4-into-1 headers, Flo Pro triple chamber, 2.5 in pipes all the way out the back.  I'm happy with it.  When you're going, it's loud enough to rule out listening to music or chit chat, but all I want to hear is the motor and transmission anyway.  All I want to do is cruise and enjoy the night and not be bothered.  I don't know how much hp my old Road Runner has, no earthly idea what it would do 0-60 mph or quarter mile, don't care, and don't care what anyone else has.    

I have gotten compliments and insults.  I'm kind of scared of attention while driving or at a gas station these days because I never know what's coming, so I always hope people ignore me, and they usually do.  

oldschool

As for the op' question. I run long tube headers with an x pipe through turbo mufflers out the back. I have Pypes electric cut-outs ahead of the x pipe. That is where they fit the best. It is really awesome to open the dumps whenever you want for a very loud time, then have a nice and low rumble when closed.

I would not use the Pypes brand again. Way to much trouble with them and they dont seal off completely.
have you ever been smoked by a nice, quiet buick? i have. i could not even hear his car, over mine. noise will never make up for lack of power.

250 horsepower sure does'nt sound alot like a muscle car to me.how loud would you make that ?   :confused:
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

Mebsuta

You can get smoked by any sport bike or an old biplane. 

mauve66

Quote from: Mebsuta on April 01, 2013, 10:56:42 PM

crop dusters??? :rofl:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

oldschool

Quote from: Mebsuta on April 01, 2013, 10:56:42 PM

huh?   ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

jb666

Quote from: Fred on March 25, 2013, 06:32:29 PM

My thoughts exactly.  :2thumbs:

X2.. There's plenty of time for quiet when we're in nursing homes.. In the meantime, it's time to raise some Hell out there..

A buddy of mine has an '87 GN.. the thing is whisper quiet and goes like a scalded cat... But it should be like that.. it fits the car.

It's funny that I'd say this though, because (the past couple of years) every Harley that blasts by my house while I'm out there I want to throw a stick of dynamite at...   :lol:

I'm another one running Doug's cut-outs.. Although I rarely, if ever, open them on the street.. Sounds like a top fuel funny car...