News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How Loud Are Your Cars

Started by JMF, March 05, 2013, 11:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

I'm interested to know what exhausts you have on your cars and how loud they are etc, every car I have I always think I want it louder but anyone who hears them from the outside think they are really loud

Anyone have exhaust cutouts? Been thinking of getting them for my Challenger but the cost has put me off so far

GOTWING

My dead stock 440 4bbl. superbird has 3" TTI full exhaust with Dyno max mufflers and factory tips. It's a little louder than stock.

Cooter

I have Flowmasters on most of my rides and are by all rights LOUD. However, I did a little different on the 70 Challenger clone and went with the Magnaflow 2 1/2" system and mufflers. It's ok aat idle, but loud and raspy at WOT. Don't think Magnaflow is all that IMO. Flowmastewrs sound better at WOT, but these are better at lower RPMs.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68X426

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,81920.0.html

My 505 Hemi has 3" TTI exhaust, Dougs electric cut outs, and Dynamax Super Turbos. Best of both worlds: when cut outs are closed, the Super Turbos are dead silent, and everyone is disappointed that you can't hear the motor. When open, the loud roar ( plus / minus 110 decibels ) of the Hemi sets off car alarms and makes women freak out.

The cut outs are the best money I've spent, in terms of fun for the buck.

If you're going to burn money, might as well hear it.  :D

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

oldschool

i say the quieter the better. loud exhaust doesnt make up for lack of horsepower...... :coolgleamA:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

68X426

Quote from: oldschool on March 05, 2013, 05:14:01 PM
loud exhaust doesnt make up for lack of horsepower...... :coolgleamA:

The second part is absolutely correct. I'm assuming that the op JMF has the horsepower, and isn't talking about a rice rocket with a fart can exhaust. :Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

ottawamerc

I am just rebuilding my 71 440 6 pack R/T. The exhaust was an area that I was not sure how to build. I wanted a relatively quiet interior but also wanted it to sound proper out the pipes (let everyone know theres over 450HP in there). So I left it to my buddy at the speed shop to design it for me, he put in Magnaflow #50 welded mufflers and a 2 1/2" stainless steel pipes. I have to say he hit my request its perfect. Oh also up front its a set of Hooker tuned ceramic headers with 1 3/4" primaries.
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

lasvegas69charg

mine is too loud and has horrible drone. Hoa sent me a letter stating I can't start my car until 8am weekdays and 9 am weekends. Its 1 3/4" headman headers, flowmaster delta 40 3" h-pipe exhaust kit.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

Cooter

i say the quieter the better. loud exhaust doesnt make up for lack of horsepower...... :coolgleamA:

This true, but a quiet muffler also causes a lack of Horsepower.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

oldschool

Quote from: Cooter on March 06, 2013, 07:36:58 AM

This true, but a quiet muffler also causes a lack of Horsepower.
it is a fine line. there are alot of things that cause a lack of horsepower. you have to decide what losses are worth it......
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

bill440rt

I have Flowbastards on my '68 (H-pipe system). They've been on there for about a decade. They have a nice, very agressive, almost "metallic" sound at idle & sound great WOT. However, I couldn't take the drone anymore. At 35-50mph (around town cruising speeds) it felt like my head was gonna explode. Chris (Just6T9) turned me on to a set of Magnaflow resonators that I just added in. Voila! Same aggressive tone yet without the drone.
I have Dynamax Ultra-Flows on my '69 (X-pipe system), I prefer them much better vs the Flowbastards. Nice, throaty sound yet not too loud. No drone, either.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mopar0166

dougs headers exhaust cutouts , work awesome !   :cheers:

lasvegas69charg

Quote from: bill440rt on March 06, 2013, 08:17:46 AM
I have Flowbastards on my '68 (H-pipe system). They've been on there for about a decade. They have a nice, very agressive, almost "metallic" sound at idle & sound great WOT. However, I couldn't take the drone anymore. At 35-50mph (around town cruising speeds) it felt like my head was gonna explode. Chris (Just6T9) turned me on to a set of Magnaflow resonators that I just added in. Voila! Same aggressive tone yet without the drone.
I have Dynamax Ultra-Flows on my '69 (X-pipe system), I prefer them much better vs the Flowbastards. Nice, throaty sound yet not too loud. No drone, either.

bill, did you just add resonators to your 68 or replace the flowmasters? If so where did you place them at? I have horrible drone that gives me a headache and makes my ears ring, but it does have a great sound.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

oldschool

bill, do you have a pic of the resonators installed? thanks
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Just 6T9 CHGR

See my resonator thread here....

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,90603.0.html

And for the record, towards the end of the season I took the resonators off & swapped the tailpipe sections back on....for a little more street volume....and to match the Cragar's I put on ;)

I like the fact with the SS band clamps I can swap out the reso's in about an hour if I feel frisky LOL
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

oldschool

beautiful car 6t9 chgr! i might have to try me some. i bet being that far back, theres hardly any more backpressure......
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

Fred

i say the quieter the better.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. For me, half the fun is driving it, the other half is hearing it.    :Twocents:     :drive:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

oldschool

for me, the fun is making a ton of power, without the noise. it can be done..... :cheers:
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

Fred

Ok, it doesn't have to be so loud as to wake the neighbours but it does have to sound good.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

GPULLER

Quote from: lasvegas69charg on March 06, 2013, 12:33:08 AM
mine is too loud and has horrible drone. Hoa sent me a letter stating I can't start my car until 8am weekdays and 9 am weekends. Its 1 3/4" headman headers, flowmaster delta 40 3" h-pipe exhaust kit.

Looks like its time to go house hunting!  :smilielol:

bill440rt

Quote from: lasvegas69charg on March 06, 2013, 10:04:46 AM

bill, did you just add resonators to your 68 or replace the flowmasters? If so where did you place them at? I have horrible drone that gives me a headache and makes my ears ring, but it does have a great sound.

Quote from: oldschool on March 06, 2013, 11:31:59 AM
bill, do you have a pic of the resonators installed? thanks

Yep, like Chris I just added them in at the stock location where resonators would normally be on a Hemi car.
I have a 2-1/2" TTI exhaust, and had to enlarge the pipe ends on the reso's just enough to make the connections. I too used band clamps. I don't plan on swapping them out again to re-attach the straight pipe sections back in, so I might change out the clamp to the "step-type" band clamps for a more secure connection.
It has the same throaty, aggressive sound at idle yet no drone at cruising speed. I did not notice any big loss of performance.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

I love the sound mine makes throughout the range but it is pretty loud, relatively speaking.  When this system falls apart I'll do what Chris and Bill did.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mick70RR

Quote from: lasvegas69charg on March 06, 2013, 12:33:08 AM

Same exhaust I have except the headers are Hookers. It's loud but I've only got one neighbour who complains but he complains about everything. Also got exhaust cutouts so it's really loud when I want it to be. Who sent you the letter, Hoa?
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Cooter

Quote from: oldschool on March 06, 2013, 10:11:52 PM
for me, the fun is making a ton of power, without the noise. it can be done..... :cheers:

There's a little Chevy Duece here that you would swear has a stock 283 in it and it runs low 5's (8th mile, roughly high 9's 1/4 mile) when opened up, with header dumps at the track. Yet, on the street, it is as quiet as a "Mouse". We all laugh at unsuspecting idiots.