News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Working on changing key/ ing switch, steering wheel help needed!

Started by 70/I6 charger, March 05, 2013, 12:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70/I6 charger

I am working on a 74 Plymouth Satellite. The ignition switch is believed to be bad. The owner needs a new key tumbler installed, and I know they are right next of each other. So I am changing them both out. I pulled the steering wheel, I pulled out the turn signal switch and the next cover. Then BAM!!!! the steering wheel locking device is right there blocking my way to the switch and tumbler I need to change. I don't want to use the Neanderthal method and rip it out. So the next step is where I ask you guys for help  :) How do I remove the locking device so I can get in to the switches :) Any and all help would be awesome!!! thanks guys !!

70 sublime

I was doing the same thing about 20 minutes ago :)

I ended up just pulling the center steering shaft up the column enough to have room to work on things and leave the round notched locking collar alone
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

70/I6 charger

Hrm no can do, it needs to come off. Pulling on the shaft gets me 2". I went to the motor compartment and there is a coupler on that end. There is no room from the fire wall to the coupler. :( This sucks)  It is not my car so I don't want to tear it up.

70 sublime

My first column was off the car so that made it easier
I wanted to just change the key barrel part

I have a column off a 73 Charger that I wanted the key out of also for my first one
(should be the same as you are working on)
I could not get it to slide up like the first one did

To change the key lock barrel if you look at the collar with all the slots in it for the key to lock into
There is a lever that will drop into the slots
Beside this lever on either side there is a philips screw
If you take them both out you can get the plate out that is around the lever
With this plate out you can see a small hole with nothing in it that is on the housing that holds the key lock barrel
If you push in the bottom of this hole it will release the barrel to get it out

At least you can change the key :)
You should be able to see inside better at this point
Maybe it just needs the key changed
I never went any farther because I did not have too

70 sublime

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html