News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Inline Tube - Fuel Lines - Anyone Used These?

Started by Shakey, February 17, 2006, 07:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I purchased a set of fuel lines for my '69 Charger 440.  I got the 3/8 line and the 1/4 return line.  I picked them up at the factory so I could avoid the shipping bend.

My question:

Is there anyone here that has used these lines and did you have any length issues?

Mine seem to be about 3" - 4" too long at the back end.  I haven't got a pic handy but they don't seem to fit right.  I have not called Inline yet to ask, I thought I'd see what fellow customers had to say first.  I know if they were too short there really wouldn't be an issue as I have the correct rubber hose to connect them to the sending unit.  With them being slightly long it makes it akward.  I don't want to knock those folks over there at Inline because they were very good to me and have (from what it seems like) very good products.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Any pics of your install and some advice as to what you did or what perhaps I may have done wrong, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chryco Psycho

the 1 time I dealt with Inline they were far from helpful , I was in Detroit & dripped in to there shop & they literally could not have been less interested in helping us , they sent us away with GM parts to fit our Moper & I have to be very creative to use them & when I called in for tech assistance the person on the Phone didn`t know what a car was  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Shakey

Here is a pic of what I am trying to explain.  It seems they are about 3" - 4" too long.

Anyone ever dealt with this when installing new fuel lines?

Shakey

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 20, 2006, 12:00:44 AM
the 1 time I dealt with Inline they were far from helpful , I was in Detroit & dripped in to there shop & they literally could not have been less interested in helping us , they sent us away with GM parts to fit our Moper & I have to be very creative to use them & when I called in for tech assistance the person on the Phone didn`t know what a car was  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

So where did you end up getting your fuel lines from?

Was this purchase you are speaking about for a 2nd gen Charger?

What did you do to solve the problem?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike, I used Fine Lines for my lines.

IIRC, looking at your pic, there is supposed to be another clamp where that screw is on the frame rail.  Clamping them to the rail should help a bit.   Also a bit of gentle persuasion to get them to "fit right" should help as well.....just don't kink the lines
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 20, 2006, 08:13:35 AM
Mike, I used Fine Lines for my lines.

IIRC, looking at your pic, there is supposed to be another clamp where that screw is on the frame rail.  Clamping them to the rail should help a bit.   Also a bit of gentle persuasion to get them to "fit right" should help as well.....just don't kink the lines

I know you have lots of pics, do you happen to have one from the same angle as mine?

It's not an easy spot to get to and I know the ground in NY is just as cold as the ground in TO so I am not even hinting at you going out and taking one, but if you have one, or have seen one please post her up.

I feel I can get them to move forward an inch or so and then get that mystery bracket to hold them in place.  Then I can attach the rubber hose.

Thanks.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Sorry Mike, NG on the pics now......

I did order up a new sending unit for my tank but I wont be able to put that in till spring either.....iIll see what I can do for ya in the meantime :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Hold the phone!!  I braved the cold and snapped these.   man the car is filthy under there!   The road trip to & from Carlisle took its toll! :'(

Anyhoo I hope these help.  The clamp I was referring to is on the other side of the shock.....
Your lines look a bit different......a small tubing cutter would do the trick!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chryco Psycho

our purchase was for a Cuda
I would massage the lines a little to get the bends closer to where you need them , you could cut them & reflare the ends also but you would still need to wrok the bends to line them up

Shakey

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 20, 2006, 08:57:30 PM

I did order up a new sending unit for my tank but I wont be able to put that in till spring either.....iIll see what I can do for ya in the meantime :thumbs:

If you didn't know, the company that makes a fuel sending unit (3/8 with the 1/4 return line) is based in PQ and manufactures them in MX  (http://www.spectrapremium.com/).  I purchased mine from my local Car Quest dealer for $100.00 CDN.  That's with my Father-In-Laws "local farm guy discount".

When I was at InLine Tube they were out of stock and it was going to take a week or so to get it.  The guys gave me the name of the manufacturer and their part # and I contacted thme directly.  They wouldn't sell to me but I at least knew where to get it.  I figured it was a pretty good deal as I see them at Jack's for $120.00 USD.  Rock Auto has them for $76.00 USD.

Shakey

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 20, 2006, 09:14:05 PM
Hold the phone!!  I braved the cold and snapped these.   man the car is filthy under there!   The road trip to & from Carlisle took its toll! :'(

Anyhoo I hope these help.  The clamp I was referring to is on the other side of the shock.....
Your lines look a bit different......a small tubing cutter would do the trick!

Those photos will help a lot. 

Would rather not cut them but just might have to.

Many thanks again Chris.

Shakey

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 20, 2006, 10:57:40 PM
our purchase was for a Cuda
I would massage the lines a little to get the bends closer to where you need them , you could cut them & reflare the ends also but you would still need to wrok the bends to line them up

Thanks Chryco.  As I mentioned above, I'd rather not cut them if I don't have to so I will take advice from both you and Chris and massage the lines first and then install the clamp to test fit them.  The last resort would be cutting them but if all else fails.....

I'll let you guys know how it comes out and will post pics when I am done.

Thanks agian guys!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Shakey on February 21, 2006, 06:20:37 AM

If you didn't know, the company that makes a fuel sending unit (3/8 with the 1/4 return line) is based in PQ and manufactures them in MX (http://www.spectrapremium.com/). I purchased mine from my local Car Quest dealer for $100.00 CDN. That's with my Father-In-Laws "local farm guy discount".

When I was at InLine Tube they were out of stock and it was going to take a week or so to get it. The guys gave me the name of the manufacturer and their part # and I contacted thme directly. They wouldn't sell to me but I at least knew where to get it. I figured it was a pretty good deal as I see them at Jack's for $120.00 USD. Rock Auto has them for $76.00 USD.

Yes Mike thats the Mfg. that I got!   I did a lot of homework before I made my purchase.
I found out that there are 3 different types made...
A stainless unit thats made in the USA but is a bit pricey $130
The unit made by Spectra in Canada which I got
Another that is made in Japan that I have heard leaks from the sending unit wire.

I got mine for $52.95!!!   The company that sells them www.carpartsdiscount.com has them on their site for $54.95.
They have eBay auctions going for $52.95 with a BIN price of $55.95   I won the auction for the $53!

I should be receiving it today so we'll see :)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 21, 2006, 09:07:09 AM
Quote from: Shakey on February 21, 2006, 06:20:37 AM

If you didn't know, the company that makes a fuel sending unit (3/8 with the 1/4 return line) is based in PQ and manufactures them in MX (http://www.spectrapremium.com/). I purchased mine from my local Car Quest dealer for $100.00 CDN. That's with my Father-In-Laws "local farm guy discount".

When I was at InLine Tube they were out of stock and it was going to take a week or so to get it. The guys gave me the name of the manufacturer and their part # and I contacted thme directly. They wouldn't sell to me but I at least knew where to get it. I figured it was a pretty good deal as I see them at Jack's for $120.00 USD. Rock Auto has them for $76.00 USD.

Yes Mike thats the Mfg. that I got!   I did a lot of homework before I made my purchase.
I found out that there are 3 different types made...
A stainless unit thats made in the USA but is a bit pricey $130
The unit made by Spectra in Canada which I got
Another that is made in Japan that I have heard leaks from the sending unit wire.

I got mine for $52.95!!!   The company that sells them www.carpartsdiscount.com has them on their site for $54.95.
They have eBay auctions going for $52.95 with a BIN price of $55.95   I won the auction for the $53!

I should be receiving it today so we'll see :)

Great price.

Now I feel like I got ripped off!   :'(

Just 6T9 CHGR

Well Mike I think you got the better deal after all.

I got my sending unit today from Carpartsdiscount.com and it looks like a POS.  It was also defective.  The float itself was hanging up midway (one of the wire contacts inside got bent somehow...)  You can see in the first pic that I am holding it up & down and the float is jammed in the middle......

The one I got had the same part # you posted Mike, but it was only on the box......not stamped on the unit like yours is.

Several differences are as follows.....

Mine had a brass float, where yours has a plastic one

Mine had a looong white sock where yours looks a bit shorter tan one

Mine had a metal strap for the harness where yours has a blue wire

My arm was retained by an allen screw dohickey where your are looks like a solid piece into the mechanism

The tubing itself was a real shiny cheapie type of metal with real poor welds where they came through the top....also the wire stud is recessed where yours (and my original) are flush....

Long story short I got off the phone with Jennifer (who was very nice by the way) got a return authorization #, went to the post office to return it for a full refund......

Sad part is they pictured the Spectra one on the auction and on their site.......this is definately the Japaneese knock off that uses the same part # but only on the box....... :flame:  :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

I know that they had been available through Mopar, at least a year or two ago when I got mine.  I have also heard that units other than Mopar ones do not accurately read the correct amount of fuel you have.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Shakey

That sucks Chris!  Seems like the bait and switch sales tactic.

At least you got to send it back.

What's your next step?  Carquest?

BTW, mine had "Made in Mexico" on the box, not Canada.

Hope it works out.

owatajrkiam

All i can say is,Thank God for this site. I,ve got a 69 monaco 500 with a warmed over 340,my gauge quit a few years ago. I had upgraded my lines to the thermoquad,with braided lines w/ AN fittings etc.So I,m sitting here looking at the Charger site the other night,because you never know what topic is gonna come up on any of these mopar sites.Lo and Behold,here,s the topic of fuel lines, then it get,s to fuel senders.Then Shakey puts on a pic of the sender w/3/8" pickup and it looks like beautifull quality.I've been looking for 3 years for a new sender,that works.I,m looking at the pic and it looks,stikingly simmilar to my "C"body pickup.I go out to the garage and grab an old one,out of the pile,I brings it in the house, hold it up tp the pics that Shakey took at a few angles and it looked like the same bends and dimensions.When he mentioned the company's name that manufactures them ,i almost fell over.I went there at noon today as i'm from Winnipeg,Manitoba and i knew exactly were Spectra Premium was located,as they were  across the street from Walker Auto. They said they couldn't sell it to me directly, but Walker could get it for me.Well i'll tell ya.In 10 min. i was holding the the pickup in my arms like a father holds his first newborn.I got it home put it on the workbench and it is the same unit.The quality is second to none and the ohms  checks out,and to think its my birthday,Life is good! Thanks Shakey and to everyone who runs these sites, we know it's a lot of work and they don't get thanked enough,so I give my thanks.Glen.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Glen, can you confirm that yours has the part # stamped into it as well?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

owatajrkiam

My sender has the same markings and #s, as in the pics w/the blue wire.The only problem i could see was, where the fuel line had the sharper bend,it was a little flatter than what i would have liked,but 10 min. in the vise massaging it and it was good to go.Anyways when i was there i checked out the fuel tank for a 69 charger as this also looks like my monaco,s tank also.(Iwill have to confirm this after i can get under the 3 feet of snow my wheels are covered under and compare the pics i took).The fuel tank looks as good as quality as i have seen.I have seen some so called tanks from some vendors that were made in mexico and from other places where they think of profitability and not quality,and if we keep on buying that JUNK then the offshore manufactuers win and our Quality manufactuers lose.Has anyone else checked out these tanks from http://www.spectrapremium.com/.Glen

Shakey

In case anyone was wondering, I got the fuel line issue sorted out.  After a bit of massaging and adding the bracket to hold the fuel lines in place (thanks for the tips fellas) they seem to fit much better.

A couple of photos in case you don't believe me.    :icon_smile_big:

Thanks once again.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Iowa_Mopar

Quote from: Shakey on March 06, 2006, 07:09:35 AM
In case anyone was wondering, I got the fuel line issue sorted out.  After a bit of massaging and adding the bracket to hold the fuel lines in place (thanks for the tips fellas) they seem to fit much better.

A couple of photos in case you don't believe me.    :icon_smile_big:

Thanks once again.

I'd like to see how you mounted the fuel lines to the rocker.  I'm upgrading to a 440 and adding the return line.  It's a tight fit with the stock fuel line