News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help on vinyl top replacement

Started by ducky13, February 18, 2006, 01:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ducky13

Does any know how difficult it is for a do-it-yourselfer to replace a vinyl top on a 1970 Charger?  I have never replaced one, and I am considering taking it to a body shop to have the new one installed. 
Also, any idea of what I should expect to pay for the installation?  I will have all prep work done, all I would need them to do is install the new top. 

Thanks

Telvis

You might try the auto body section...

Rocky

mopar_madman

go to a interior or glass shop that will do it there. Most body shops farm the work out and just upcharger you.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

70charginglizard

I wouldn't mess with trying to do it yourself unless you have sucessfull past experience doing them yourself. Profession Top shops do these day in and day out and if you want a quality job that you want to last it's really the way to go. If not there are plenty of books out there from people who try to explain the process that you can purchase. A real good one is that "Charger project one that came out last year.
Excellant book with lots of picture and it is a 70 vinyl top they do it to. ;)
70charginglizard

AKcharger

I did '70 and it came out great. I did my '72 and had problems, diffrence was the glass was all out of the '70, and '72 still had windshield rear glass installed...BIG diffrence. If glass is out I'd say try it, if not go to a shop

AK

Dennis K

I have both of these articles saved on my computer because I plan on doing my vinyl top on my 68 sometime, but both of them say to stuff the vinyl down into the drip rails along the side of the roof, and the factory did not do it that way, and IMHO, doesn't look right. A few weeks ago someone posted some pics of the Bullitt Charger, the topic was about what color was under the black paint where it was scraped off, but the pics clearly showed that the vinyl top was not in the drip rails.