News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I now if I have electronic ignition and not points??

Started by Matthan, March 28, 2014, 09:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthan

I know this is a dumb questions but how do I now if I have electronic ignition and not points on my car?........Here is a pic of my engine.

myk

Electronic ignition will have an ignition module on the firewall or somewhere else in the car (also known as a chrome, orange box); I don't see one in your 'pic.  Also, there will be a pickup coil inside of your distributor.  You can google some images of these items to give you a better idea...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

68 RT

Looks like you might what is the box behind the horn, looks like an orange box?

Matthan

ALBSURE1091

looks like you have electronic ignition. Look across from the alternator by the horns. That orange control box mounted on wall is the control box for it. Possible it was converted from points to electronic because of the control box location. Not sure if that is where the factory installed electronic ignition control box would go. Either way you have electronic ignigtion.

Nacho-RT74

aside the ignition module presence... if were hidden somewhere, you can check the distributor. If just one wire attached straight to the - lead of coil, is points... if dual wire with a rubber plug, its electronic
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ALBSURE1091 on March 28, 2014, 10:51:00 AM
looks like you have electronic ignition. Look across from the alternator by the horns. That orange control box mounted on wall is the control box for it. Possible it was converted from points to electronic because of the control box location. Not sure if that is where the factory installed electronic ignition control box would go. Either way you have electronic ignigtion.
X2
Does that A/C work
?