News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Car Guys Discussion / Re: interesting pictures , & s...
Last post by Kern Dog - Today at 03:33:26 PM
Look at how much THINNER that everyone was back then!
Charger Discussion / Re: My new patina'd RR1 burgun...
Last post by Kern Dog - Today at 02:48:01 PM
I've read from guys that did the heat and scrape method but I hade no interest in trying that. The needle scaler is loud and dusty but quite effective.
I have a thing with fire though. I don't like it. I wouldn't call it a phobia, I'm just not too comfortable with fires.
Charger Discussion / Re: My new patina'd RR1 burgun...
Last post by 70B5Cuda - Today at 02:39:52 PM
That's no joke. It's a nasty job but at least it goes faster then heating/scraping
Charger Discussion / Re: charger stuff ******upd...
Last post by Kern Dog - Today at 02:25:15 PM
Quote from: tan top on Yesterday at 06:19:49 PM:popcrn:  :yesnod:

3456789007654rtyuikrtgyhujiktghyju.jpg Screenshot 303.jpgScreenshot 304.jpgScreenshot 305.jpgScreenshot 306.jpg0-9876543223456789076treerfgtyhjuki.jpgScreenshot 309.jpg34567834r5t6y7u8i93456y7u8i9o4r5ty67ui.jpg     
Oh man, THIS picture:

68 RT.jpg

This looks like it could be from when the car was new. Look at the other cars in the background. They are all older than the Charger.

Charger Discussion / Re: What has been your longest...
Last post by Kern Dog - Today at 02:21:00 PM
Again, the road noise does wear on me after awhile. Newer cars sure were built with a greater emphasis on reducing interior noise.
Maybe though...I haven't had a car with a totally stock engine and single exhaust system in years. Maybe a stock car is a lot quieter on the road than the cars I'm used to driving.
A slant six Valiant with single exhaust may be a lot quieter than mine even without sound deadening mats.
How much noise is trapped in the roof? That is the only place that I don't have any of the matting because I wasn't willing to remove the headliner to do it.
Off Topic Discussion / Re: When did you last: Pull an...
Last post by Kern Dog - Today at 01:26:16 PM
Truth. Thanks, Timmy.
Nobody with any sense would have interpreted what I wrote in 100% literal terms.
I wanted to meet and learn from guys that assembled the car themselves, that encountered problems and overcame them.
I didn't want references for paint and body shops, crate engine suppliers or upholstery shops that did everything.
I wanted to know what brakes they installed, what suspension parts they chose and other stuff like that.
What car guy respects a dude that farmed out everything? I know that I don't.  I can't learn from a guy that paid others to do everything. If/when the car breaks down on the road, that guy wouldn't have the skills to fix it himself.
Before the Charger, I had a Camaro. Most of the parts for that car were still found in junkyards whether from trucks or cars. I was able to keep that car going for years that way. The Charger was a rarer car and I didn't know what parts interchanged with it. This was a period of learning for me and I wanted to know how to do it myself.
Yes, I had a machine shop bore and hone the engine and mill the heads but I rebuilt it myself. No, I didn't FORGE the torsion bars, I didn't make the shock absorbers myself either. I bought new and installed them. How much of an idiot do you have to be to actually take what I wrote in literal terms?
Quote from: John_Kunkel on Today at 12:38:29 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on Yesterday at 02:17:21 PMI wanted to talk with guys that did the work themselves.

Very few guys did all the work on their cars. 

So, where do you draw the line at "all the work"? Has a guy who "rebuilt" a motor that somebody else did the machine work on done "all the work"? Or has a guy who buys a kit that somebody else developed and merely installs it using the enclosed instructions done "all the work"?

Show me a guy who goes to the metal yard, buys a bunch of tubing and fabricates a chassis or a set of headers or a guy who designs and builds his own brake swap or transmission swap or does major body mods and I'll show you a guy who does "all the work".

Does the guy in the first example have bragging rights saying he's done "all the work" over the guy in the second example? I think not.

A bit extreme in my opinion. I could be wrong but the point of the post is acknowledging people who turn wrenches on their own cars vs brining it somewhere and paying someone else to do it.

So in order to satisfy your idea of doing it myself, would I have had to forge my torsion bars out of raw steel and install them? I don't see your point.
Off Topic Discussion / Re: When did you last: Pull an...
Last post by Kern Dog - Today at 12:52:04 PM
As usual, you only follow me around to pick a fight.
Just go away, man.
Quote from: Kern Dog on Yesterday at 02:17:21 PMI wanted to talk with guys that did the work themselves.

Very few guys did all the work on their cars. 

So, where do you draw the line at "all the work"? Has a guy who "rebuilt" a motor that somebody else did the machine work on done "all the work"? Or has a guy who buys a kit that somebody else developed and merely installs it using the enclosed instructions done "all the work"?

Show me a guy who goes to the metal yard, buys a bunch of tubing and fabricates a chassis or a set of headers or a guy who designs and builds his own brake swap or transmission swap or does major body mods and I'll show you a guy who does "all the work".

Does the guy in the first example have bragging rights saying he's done "all the work" over the guy in the second example? I think not.
I've seen a lot of complaints about the aftermarket "OER" style gauges either reading inaccurate or completely inoperative.

I know it's pricy, but your best bet is to find good used gauges and send your complete cluster to redline and have them go through it completely and service/restore each gauge and re solder the circuit board. It'll be $2,500 or so for all of that.

I'm not a salesman for them but they did mine. I looked at it thinking I don't want to have constant troubles with the cluster and have to take the dash apart multiple times to fix a non working gauge. Plus, when you're driving the car the dash is what you look at the most.... So I want it to be right. I had to use the "buy once, cry once" method.