News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Interior / Re: Classic Auto Air
Last post by armor64 - Today at 06:34:24 AM
it sounds like a mix of too much refrigerant and potentially causing a faulty in the pressure switch. i remember in the vintage air paperwork, there was a page in each instruction set with a massive warning about the exact weight of oil and gas to put in, and not to add oil if new VA compressor, as they come with the "needed amount". the aftermarket systems do seem to be more touchy than any factory systems, but well worth the cool air in summer.
Charger Discussion / Re: Sad News. Rene passed awa...
Last post by Mike DC - Today at 04:45:42 AM

Ouch.   :'(

RIP buddy. 
Interior / Re: Classic Auto Air
Last post by Kern Dog - Yesterday at 11:51:47 PM
As the world turns...
More strangeness to report: To recap, yesterday Randy evacuated then charged the system using a scale appropriate for most systems that use R-134/Freon.

R 134 scale.PNG

It blew cool right after the refill but blew warm 2 1/2 hours later for the ride home.
When I got home, I noticed that the clutch in the compressor wasn't staying engaged. Randy suggested that I bypass the pressure safety switch so I did. Now the compressor clutch engaged and the air blew cool, then it turned cold! Maybe the air blew warm on the way home because the compressor clutch wasn't engaging at all.
I figured I'd need to replace the switch so today I bought a new one.
THIS afternoon, I started the car and tried the A/C. For some reason, it worked just fine. Oddly, the gauge readings seemed normal today.
It turns out that I didn't have the A/C manifold hoses and fittings connected right. You're supposed to tighten the knobs on the ends to fully open the Schrader valves in the high and low ports.
Today the low side was around 18-20 and the high side read 200, then 225, 250 and 275. I don't know why the high side was reading that high.
I talked with Dwight from Classic Auto Air this morning. First off, he said their systems are supposed to have 24 ounces of Freon. Many techs just dump an unknown amount in and look at the gauges to determine when enough is enough. That is what my friend did.
Dwight said that the low should be around 17-20 and the high side should be around 100 plus the ambient temperature. If it was 90 degrees out, the high side should be 190.  Here is a scale I saw online:

CAA 120.png

Vintage air systems are similar:

CAA 121 VA.png

The knocking I was hearing from the compressor is gone. I don't know why. It is working and blowing cold though.
I do hate it when something breaks and you don't know why...I also don't like it when something suddenly works without actually fixing anything.

Charger Discussion / Re: What has been your longest...
Last post by Kern Dog - Yesterday at 11:33:10 PM
I drove 180+ miles yesterday to Modesto and back. ZERO problems except for the dang A/C!
Charger Discussion / Re: Too valuable to drive?
Last post by Kern Dog - Yesterday at 11:32:04 PM
No offense but why do men marry women that are controlling and demanding?
That is a serious question.
Were these women always like that or did they start off okay and then become ball busters?
My first wife was not so supportive of my car hobby but after we divorced, she married a car guy even MORE fanatical that I've ever been.
My wife now is a dream. She never complains about the money or time I spend on the cars.
I recommend that.
Charger Discussion / Re: Too valuable to drive?
Last post by nchrome - Yesterday at 06:31:28 PM
l drive mine all the time when moma (wife)lets me. ::)  And I still have a couple long trips planned (the ark in Kentucky, Yellow Stone. Rout 66 :2thumbs: , and a few other places) I build mine to drive and look good not to be a trailer queen or just look pretty. If l could ever get organized to get a few Chargers together and maybe Cruse route 66 and have a great time that would be great. :drool5:
Off Topic Discussion / Re: Missed attachments? Troy…
Last post by hemigeno - Yesterday at 06:28:18 PM
Quote from: Troy on April 26, 2023, 10:39:12 PMUnfortunately, I didn't realize the upgrade had broken the attachments - nor how many were broken - until about a week after the upgrade. It was too late to start over again. So, I'm fixing them as I can but it's much more labor intensive to do it while the site is live. I should be able to recover most (if not all) of them. There's over 300k in total so checking them will take a while. Right now I get an error message for every one that fails and there's thousands of errors per day.

Troy

Dumb question for you, Troy...

The way you're describing the "patch" for photo attachments after the forum software upgrades, it sounds like an absolute mess - which you didn't create, and certainly didn't need.  Plus, it has to go way beyond irritating to get thousands of error messages per day. :rotz:

Here's my question for you:
How long would it take to make the repairs if the site were NOT live?  If it would be down for +/- a day while that were happening, it might be way easier for you than fixing them (more or less) one at a time.  It seems like if we gave everyone a couple of weeks' notice before a planned shutdown for maintenance, that wouldn't be the worst thing...?

Just a thought, and I'm sure I'm over-simplifying things and/or overlooking some major impediment to that approach.

:cheers:

Charger Discussion / Re: Sad News. Rene passed awa...
Last post by bakerhillpins - Yesterday at 05:15:56 PM
RIP
Charger Discussion / Re: What has been your longest...
Last post by Polygon - Yesterday at 04:18:51 PM
Nacho, when you took it on the road trip I bet it was very attention getting..
Charger Discussion / Re: Chargers in the background...
Last post by tan top - Yesterday at 03:29:17 PM
Thanks for the kind words Guys ! glad you all like looking at this stuff as much as i do spotting them ;D  :yesnod:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

last screen capture , think second generation behind the plymouth , pretty sure can just make out top of door scoop  :scratchchin:  :P

;g34567893456783456y7uifft6.jpg
rsz_screenshot_253.jpg42234476_2482976871728850_7812596664484495360_n.jpgdh345673456yu34r5t6yu4r5tyued.jpg