News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Firecore plug and play distributor..Firefighter

Started by GPULLER, June 12, 2013, 11:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

Little confused . I may just be miss reading.  The first couple post I read said that the firecore rtr will work perfect with a mopar orange ECU . Then I read that the distributor does not require a ballast or ECU??!

Can someone clear it up???

If it does not require the ECU or ballast , all the wires currently under the hood are not needed ???

Musicman

The Firecore dizzy is available in more than one form, to suite the needs and requirements of the consumer.

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 22, 2013, 11:26:46 AM
The Plug & Play works with a MSD or Mopar Performance orange/chrome box as well as the new rev-n-ator box. It snaps right in to the MP wiring harness and has easy mechanical advance adjustments.

The Ready to Run distributor has a built-in ECU so there is no requirement for an external box or wiring and the ballist resistor is also eliminated. Same easy mechanical advance adjustments.

It just depends what components you have on hand and might want to re-use....or it could be that you want to simplify and clean up the engine bay.

Ron

RECHRGD

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 29, 2013, 06:59:11 AM
Quote from: ChargerST on June 28, 2013, 03:28:25 PM
Thanks guys!
For the unlikely event that the ignition module in the distributor goes bad what are my options?

Send it back to Firecore and we'll replace it  ;)

Ron

Can the module be purchased separately?  I've been running a Mallory Unilite for many years and always keep a spare module with me.  Not having that option would concern me.
13.53 @ 105.32

red79

kamcuda mentioned above that he's running a smallblock version of the firecore unit, but I don't see any listed on the firecore website. Is there an LA version of either their plug&play or ready-to-run distributors?

firefighter3931

Quote from: red79 on February 12, 2014, 10:14:43 PM
kamcuda mentioned above that he's running a smallblock version of the firecore unit, but I don't see any listed on the firecore website. Is there an LA version of either their plug&play or ready-to-run distributors?

Hey Red, there are billet ready to run & billet plug and play models available for the LA smallblocks. Send me a pm for details  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Nacho-RT74

it does use the stock pick up coil, right? ( available everywhere )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

firefighter3931

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on February 13, 2014, 09:05:25 AM
it does use the stock pick up coil, right? ( available everywhere )

Yes, the stock pickup fits the Firecore distributor.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

fizz

Since I have never done it before, can anyone direct me to instructions for adjusting or limiting full advance. I have a Firecore dust with a revenator box. Mondays project

myk

When you take your cap off and look into the guts of the distributor, past the rotor you will see the advance plates; there will be two of them.  On the plates you will find a Phillips head screw that will move back or forth depending on where you want the advance or retard to be.  Problem is I forget which way to move the screws in order to add or subtract advance.  Another thing is, to do this adjustment you will have to remove the distributor.  I'd try to take a picture for you but it's too late and wet outside to do it.  Does anyone have pictures? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

XH29N0G

Can I get a clarification of something I think I understand from reading the first part of this thread. 

It looks like the Firecore distributor could be set up with less mechanical advance than the bushing-limit-type settings on the MSD which only lets you drop to 18 degrees total advance. 

What are the range of mechanical advance limits that can be set with the screws on the Firecore distributors?

I don't want to lock out my distributor, but I would like to have a mechanical advance less than 18 degrees so I can work with pump gas and let the engine idle at the timing where it idles best. 

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

firefighter3931

The mechanical advance is infinitely adjustable.....from locked out all the way to 30* mechanical advance. The beauty of it is the simplicity of the design and the ease of adjustment.  :icon_smile_big:

The MSD's bushing arrangement does work good but it limits the user to 4 choices and many performance builds want more than 18* base timing for best performance.  :yesnod:

Ron