News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CDN72SE's Restoration Thread

Started by CDN72SE, May 26, 2010, 02:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepat

Congrats, this is the best part of the build! Keep the picture coming
Pat

CRW-FK5

CDN72SE

Quote from: keepat on September 26, 2017, 04:47:57 AM
Congrats, this is the best part of the build! Keep the picture coming
Pat

Will do Pat, thanks for the encouragement.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Quote from: CRW-FK5 on September 26, 2017, 04:58:03 AM
Looks perfect.

Thank you  :2thumbs:, makes my imperfect trim and other parts look bad though. Oh well, all in good time.
1972 Charger SE

Petebell68

Though I'd check in that looks incredible ,can't wait to see it in town

Pete

CDN72SE

Thanks Pete, I've slowed down on the progress a bit, hope to get back at it soon.
1972 Charger SE

Petebell68

If you need any help let me know - I'm pretty close

CDN72SE

Very kind of you, I may at some point. ~ Alan  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Started doing a few things, trying to get the boxes to slowly disappear that are filled with parts. Just installed my 20+ year old hood pins.
Pretty simple, was just cautious when drilling to make sure the drill didn't slip.

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Had a bit of a mild spell the other day, so I dug up my trunk weatherstrip that I had kicking around for quite some years.

Watched a few YouTube videos to aquatint myself. My biggest challenge was trying to figure out what side glues to the body.

Figured that out and applied a thin film on the weatherstripping and on the body of the car. Have to say that 3M adhesive is very good.

Got the body plugs installed as well, used some Dawn dish soap on a few of them to get them in place.

Also got the trunk body plugs installed.
1972 Charger SE

keepat

Very nice! love the hood pins!
Pat

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

birdsandbees

Good to see you get going on her!! At least you did the weather strip correct.. even with pictures supplied of my original 3 guys at my resto shop glued mine in upside down and in the wrong place across the rear edge. Had to order a new one so I can supervise them doing it again for free!  :brickwall:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

CDN72SE

I actually had them pegged incorrectly and then fixed it before gluing, I used some of that green painters tape to keep it in position.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Some purchases from MegaParts.

Don't think I actually need the door body plugs as I can't see where I can actually use them.

Also don't need the spoiler brackets as they do not work with my spoiler that I had bought in the late 80's.

And still debating about the headlight decal.

Then I placed an order with Year One, haven't purchased from them in years, thanks to the 30% off I purchased the following:

Door weatherstrip was from Metro - Supersoft

The Jack sticker and Hidden Headlight decal (wanted the green one) both came from Dale's Cuda Shop.

1972 Charger SE

Back N Black

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

VegasCharger

Quote from: CDN72SE on November 24, 2017, 05:33:38 PM
Also don't need the spoiler brackets as they do not work with my spoiler that I had bought in the late 80's.

I really like your Charger and this build thread. But be different, don't put a spoiler on it unless you already drilled the holes in the deck lid.

Everyone seems to have spoilers on 3rd gen Chargers but IMO they don't belong on them even though it was a factory option (or dealer option, not sure which one). Also a small percentage of people putting spoilers on 3rd gens put on the wrong ones or have them on backwards. Or even worse, home made ones.

I know I'm a huge underdog on this debate and most of the time I don't even bring it up because it just leads to arguments.

Either way I'll still like your awesome Charger, spoiler or no spoiler.

Keep up the good work.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

CDN72SE

Hey Vegas, I put the spoiler on to change things up a bit for myself having owned it since 1991. I was a bit unsure in the beginning since it's an SE model and not what I think people see as a performance model like a Rallye or a 71 R/T. So I thought it may look a bit out of place. The trunk lid did have the provisions for the rear spoiler and I did drill the holes a few years ago for the spoiler.

To be honest I cannot remember the last time I saw any Mopar let alone a 71-74 Charger on the streets here in Southern, Ontario, Canada. You just don't see them. I did go to a local car show once and did see a few third gens and none of them had spoilers. Same with B5 being a popular colour according to a lot of people, just don't see them around here. Most people don't even know what my car is, lol. I live in the land of SUV's and imports. I also have the front spoiler  :icon_smile_big:.

Thanks for the comments they are much appreciated, you will see that my car will end up being somewhat different from when I first got it.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Door Assembly

I've got the two doors in the basement where I started installing the door weatherstripping. Used some more of the 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive.

More to come...
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Also brought the fenders and front valance to my basement after I blacked out the front end so I could add the headlight buckets with their correct mounting hardware.
- Added my NOS wheel lip moulding.
- Added the NOS side marker lenses.
- reproduction Pentastar
- Impact pads

Will drill the holes for the front spoiler next.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Reproduction weathered washer bottle.

Test fitting:

Reproduction Hood to cowl seal w/clips, fit nicely.

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Installed SE laurel and script, the script is a nice NOS piece. Also installed the original moulding.

1972 Charger SE

Simonic

Mopar owner in the UK..

keepat