News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why does it take a while for my brakes to work properly?

Started by Dino, June 18, 2012, 10:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Okay I'm getting the brass GM valve you posted.  Now, what's the wire for?

Also, these are the thread sizes listed.  Does this look alright?

Front Master Cylinder: 1/2" x 20 Thread
Rear Master Cylinder: 7/16" x 24 Thread
Right Front Caliper: 3/8" x 24 Thread
Left Front Caliper: 3/8" x 24 Thread
Rear Brakes: 9/16" x 18 Thread
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Musicman

The wire is for your idiot light (Brake Warning Light)

Dino

Quote from: Musicman on June 28, 2012, 11:28:21 AM
The wire is for your idiot light (Brake Warning Light)

Ah, more electrical to play with.   :eek2:

Thanks   :2thumbs:

Dino

I bought this valve and the wire but I forgot to order a 10 lbs residual valve.  I need it right?

Musicman

bill440rt

I'm running that same GM-style valve in my Wilwood disc/disc combo (valve is set up for disc/disc). No other residual valve or prop valve, just that one. I was told another valve wasn't needed (doesn't mean my sources were wrong).
I have no lock up or spongy pedal issues.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Quote from: bill440rt on July 17, 2012, 10:09:16 PM
I'm running that same GM-style valve in my Wilwood disc/disc combo (valve is set up for disc/disc). No other residual valve or prop valve, just that one. I was told another valve wasn't needed (doesn't mean my sources were wrong).

It looks like there's a residual pressure valve in the brass combo valve.  Don't know if it's true but this is what the ad said when I bought it.  I have drums in the back by the way.  I didn't think you need one for disc/disc applications.  Then again, I think a lot of things that turn out to be wrong.   :icon_smile_blackeye:

"This is for a brand new BRASS proportioning valve.  This combination proportioning valve is for Disc/Drum applications and performs all the necessary functions when using disc brakes in the front and drum brakes in the rear.

This valve will reduce braking pressure to the rear when necessary to prevent the brakes from locking up.  It also distributes the brake pressure evenly so that the disc brakes are not doing all the work.  This valve will also act as residual pressure for the rear drum brakes, allowing for better responsiveness when the brakes are applied.  Finally, this valve offers the brake warning light switch to alert you if there is any failure in the braking system.

This valve is a great upgrade over the original and is a must when upgrading from drum to disc brakes.  This is a GM style valve, but will work on almost any Ford, Mopar, Chevy, as long as you have the right fittings.  This valve is solid brass, making it long lasting and heavy duty.

GH3515-2"

Musicman

Quote from: bill440rt on July 17, 2012, 10:09:16 PM

10 PSI Residual Pressure valves are not required in a Disc/Disc system.

Musicman

Quote from: Dino on July 18, 2012, 06:43:16 AM
It looks like there's a residual pressure valve in the brass combo valve.  Don't know if it's true but this is what the ad said when I bought it.

Where's a link to the add? I've never seen a Combo Valve that came with a built in Residual Pressure Valve. Not that it isn't possible, I've just never seen or heard of one before.

Dino

Quote from: Musicman on July 19, 2012, 04:08:53 PM
Quote from: Dino on July 18, 2012, 06:43:16 AM
It looks like there's a residual pressure valve in the brass combo valve.  Don't know if it's true but this is what the ad said when I bought it.

Where's a link to the add? I've never seen a Combo Valve that came with a built in Residual Pressure Valve. Not that it isn't possible, I've just never seen or heard of one before.

Not sure if this still works, I got it off ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140568457337?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I didn't think there's a residual valve in it but I'd like to be sure before I buy something else.  I think it's the exact same one as the GM valve you posted.

Musicman

I'm on a secure sever at the moment and can't view the eBay add, but I can tell you that eBay is chockablock full of missinformation. As I said before, I have never seen or heard of a combo valve with a 10 psi RP valve built into it... ever!... and I highly doubt that this one is the exception.

Dino

Quote from: Musicman on July 19, 2012, 05:33:05 PM
I'm on a secure sever at the moment and can't view the eBay add, but I can tell you that eBay is chockablock full of missinformation. As I said before, I have never seen or heard of a combo valve with a 10 psi RP valve built into it... ever!... and I highly doubt that this one is an exception.

I'm sure you're right so I'll get the seperate valve.  I don't suppose autoparts store carry those?