News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

$20,000 General Lee

Started by Bandit72, October 01, 2013, 03:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Brock Lee on October 03, 2013, 02:34:44 AM
The earliest sound clip was a real horn. For much of the show it was actually a clip made of a guy playing the notes on a trumpet. That was confirmed at least 8 years ago.

Confirmed by who? If it was made by a guy playing the notes on a trumpet, then he managed to make it sound like a Jubilee/Jubilaire Dixie horn with disc #1.

Here is a comparison sound clip - http://tinypic.com/r/20a42nk/5

The first horn recording that plays in that clip is ripped directly from a Dukes of Hazzard DVD, specifically from "Pin the Tail on the Dukes"  (Season 4, Episode 17). It is the sound clip that they had long since settled on as the standard one by that point, and the one they continued to use for the rest of the series (and the one that was used in the reunion movies).

The second horn recording that plays in that clip is the Jubilee/Jubilaire Dixie horn, Disc 1, ripped from the YouTube video I linked to earlier (http://youtu.be/k1WQW5vMIpA).

Yes, there are inevitable slight differences due to differences in recording equipment and settings, accoustics in the place of recording, different types and levels of digital compression of the recording, and the fact that sounding that set of horns off is an electromechanical and analog process, powered by voltage that can vary from car to car, along with the inevitable slight manufacturing differences from horn set to horn set. However, it still sounds like the same horn playing the same tune at the same tempo with the same relative duration of each note. So if some guy did that on a trumpet (assuming a large brass trumpet can even reproduce the tonal quality of a set of small metal and plastic Jubilee/Jubilaire air horns in the first place), then he did a hell of a good job.

If it can be done on a trumpet then that would be great, because if you could find a trumpeter that could do it properly, you could make a very high quality recording without having to find the rare and expensive Jubilee/Jubilaire air horns along with "disc 1", and you wouldn't have to worry about the sound of the air compressor tainting it (as happened in the YouTube video).

Mike DC

I still think you won't get half a dozen people to all agree on what the best sound is.  Not when choosing between several horn setups installed and running in GL replicas.  Some people think it should be playing through the notes faster than others.  Some think the notes should be a bit higher pitched than others.

Yeah we could probably all agree on a good sound when comparing it to an audio clip in the series. 

But as anyone in the GL hobby knows - the way something actually was onscreen in the TV show is not always the way people want it to be, or the way they remember it being.  Even DOH fans.   

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 03, 2013, 12:48:52 PM

But as anyone in the GL hobby knows - the way something actually was onscreen in the TV show is not always the way people want it to be, or the way they remember it being.  Even DOH fans.

No doubt about that. I mean, everyone knows that the General Lee didn't have door handles, right?

Brock Lee's post has got me curious about the possibility of the standard TV sound clip having been played on a trumpet. I'm going to see if I can find some trumpet players to ask about it. For quite some time I've wanted a clean high quality recording of that tune that sounds like the standard TV clip, and if it can be done on a trumpet, that would be excellent. There are far more people out there that can play a trumpet than there are people that own a Jubilee/Jubilaire Dixie horn complete with "disk 1", so it should be easier to find someone who can make a good recording.

Dino

Quote from: MaximRecoil on October 03, 2013, 01:27:23 PM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 03, 2013, 12:48:52 PM

But as anyone in the GL hobby knows - the way something actually was onscreen in the TV show is not always the way people want it to be, or the way they remember it being.  Even DOH fans.

No doubt about that. I mean, everyone knows that the General Lee didn't have door handles, right?

Brock Lee's post has got me curious about the possibility of the standard TV sound clip having been played on a trumpet. I'm going to see if I can find some trumpet players to ask about it. For quite some time I've wanted a clean high quality recording of that tune that sounds like the standard TV clip, and if it can be done on a trumpet, that would be excellent. There are far more people out there that can play a trumpet than there are people that own a Jubilee/Jubilaire Dixie horn complete with "disk 1", so it should be easier to find someone who can make a good recording.

I think it would be fairly easy to reproduce the sound on a keyboard as well.  I can play the tune on my sax, but it just doesn't sound right.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Stevearino

Got a guy up in Statesville N.C. that I got some parts off of that told me his business for the last 5 years has been building General Lee replicas. He usually ends up selling them for around $20,000.00. He has done around 40 so far. They are just kind of rough around the edges as you would expect. They are drivers.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Dino on October 03, 2013, 01:30:26 PM

I think it would be fairly easy to reproduce the sound on a keyboard as well.  I can play the tune on my sax, but it just doesn't sound right.   :icon_smile_big:

I asked about it on a trumpet forum. I posted the link to the TV sound clip of the Dixie horn that I ripped from the DVD, and asked if it was made by a trumpet or not. So far, 4 votes for "no" in the poll, and 0 votes for "yes". One of the longterm members there said:

QuoteThe sound being played is generated by a reed and amplified by a bell, so it's a standard dixie car horn. It isn't a real trumpet, if that's what you're asking.

And:

QuoteHey, glad to help.

Yes, I pretty much doubt a 'real trumpet' was ever used in the show. And certainly the clip from the show you posted wasn't played on a real trumpet. It just sounds too reedy, if you will. Almost like the timbre of a harmonica. You can really hear the reeds that produce the tone.

He also made a quick recording of him playing the tune on a trumpet (because I mentioned I'd like to hear what it would sound like on a trumpet if anyone there could easily do it), and said:

QuoteWell, here's a sample played on a cheap, chinese made rotary cornet (of all the trumpets I own, it's the only thing I have at work with me today!)

And here's the video - http://youtu.be/Plif4vx7kfI

Unfortunately, I don't think you can get the right sound without an actual Jubilaire/Jubilee Dixie car horn with "disc 1". You can replicate the tune with other instruments, but not the timbre. Maybe a highly adjustable keyboard/synthesizer could do it, but I doubt any of its instrument presets would sound right.

Brock Lee

It was asked to a few of the crew members, including Paul Baxely. It was agreed that WB had the sound clip made along side other sound effects similar to how they make them for cartoons. The sound clips would occasionally get revamped if needed, but often they lasted the run. Some sound effects were taken from existing stock, some were created just for Dukes. The horn was created in the studio for optimum clarity. John Schneider's "yee haw's" and other noises were recorded as well (like the yips that end up in the Boars Nest scenes).

Oh, and there is no proof they used a Jubilaire model horn early on. The fact is Jubilaire manufactured nothing. They bought those OEM with their own labeling casted in them. There were numerous other brands selling those horns at that time. Jubilaire is just the most common.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Brock Lee on October 04, 2013, 01:50:09 AM
It was asked to a few of the crew members, including Paul Baxely. It was agreed that WB had the sound clip made along side other sound effects similar to how they make them for cartoons. The sound clips would occasionally get revamped if needed, but often they lasted the run. Some sound effects were taken from existing stock, some were created just for Dukes. The horn was created in the studio for optimum clarity. John Schneider's "yee haw's" and other noises were recorded as well (like the yips that end up in the Boars Nest scenes).

In the studio it would be easier to isolate the horn sound from the sound of the air compressor than if it was mounted in the car. One way would be to put a "hush box" around the air compressor. On the trumpet forum, in answer to the question of "Was this tune played on a trumpet?" (with a link provided to the season 4, episode 17 sound clip that I linked to in this thread), there are 6 votes for no and 0 votes for yes, and those guys are as into trumpets as the people here are into Chargers.

QuoteOh, and there is no proof they used a Jubilaire model horn early on. The fact is Jubilaire manufactured nothing. They bought those OEM with their own labeling casted in them. There were numerous other brands selling those horns at that time. Jubilaire is just the most common.

Well, they were made by Jubilee MFG. Co. out of Omaha, Nebraska (or at least imported by, i.e., some of their musical horns were imported from Italy), a company that manufactured vehicle horns of many types (among other things, such as radios) for many decades (1905 until the late 1980s). This is why the DoH Dixie horn is usually referred to as "Jubilee/Jubilaire".

So do you know of any other brand names attached to the same set of horns and disk? If so, that could make it easier to find one.

MaximRecoil

So Indygenerallee is the guy that has Jubilee/Jubilaire Dixie horn with "disk 1" on YouTube. His horn sounds the best of any I've heard, and that includes the horns of a few other people on YouTube that claim they are Jubilee/Jubilaire Dixie horns with "disk 1". The sound of his horns in that video clip even sound better than the TV clip; same tune and tempo, but more vibrant sounding / better sound quality, plus I love that slight sustain at the end of the final note. You don't hear that on the TV sound clip, at least not as pronounced.

His recording would be perfect, if not for the sound of the air compressor mixed in, and unfortunately I can't think of any easy way of getting a good up close recording of that horn without picking up the sound of the air compressor, even if he was willing to do it.

If a good recording were available it would be so easy for anyone to have a perfect sounding Dixie horn. A digital audio player (if you have a modern aftermarket radio in your car, you already have one), a small audio amplifier (don't need anything special for this application, an el cheapo from Wal-Mart would do the trick), and an outdoor PA horn speaker (they can be found cheap; $10 or $15) would be all you'd need.

In the meantime, here is the TV sound clip that I removed the minor background noise from - https://app.box.com/s/int29v0dem41wshphty6

I used that particular clip because it was one I came across while watching the show that had less background noise than others. The only problem with it is Rosco's voice cuts in a split second before the final note ends. I cropped his voice off of course, but it leaves the final note a hair short.

Mike DC

QuoteIn the meantime, here is the TV sound clip that I removed the minor background noise from - https://app.box.com/s/int29v0dem41wshphty6

I used that particular clip because it was one I came across while watching the show that had less background noise than others. The only problem with it is Rosco's voice cuts in a split second before the final note ends. I cropped his voice off of course, but it leaves the final note a hair short.

. . . "Sounds like you got a pickle in your pucker, that's not very good" . . .

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 04, 2013, 02:05:45 PM

. . . "Sounds like you got a pickle in your pucker, that's not very good" . . .

Yeah, it was a funny line but I wish he would have waited .071 seconds longer to deliver it.

There was another one in "Dukes Meet Cale Yarborough" (Season 2, Episode 7) that I thought was going to be perfect; no background noise at all to begin with. But just before the horn finished playing they cut to Boss Hogg yelling. That was an earlier version of the sound clip though, or it might have even been the actual horn played live during the filming of the scene, like they did in the pilot episode.

kikgas01

The Jubilaire has 12 notes, the Wolo has 11 notes. The correct is 12 notes....

MaximRecoil

Quote from: kikgas01 on October 05, 2013, 12:32:38 PM

I've heard Wolo horns on YouTube that have 12 notes, but they still sound wrong (one or more of the following: wrong tempo, wrong notes, wrong relative duration of notes, wrong timbre). Here's an example - http://youtu.be/itEW1_JkqKM?t=1m15s

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on October 05, 2013, 03:19:24 PM

I've heard Wolo horns on YouTube that have 12 notes, but they still sound wrong (one or more of the following: wrong tempo, wrong notes, wrong relative duration of notes, wrong timbre). Here's an example - http://youtu.be/itEW1_JkqKM?t=1m15s

Of course they are wrong ::)   How could they be otherwise?   It is up to you to establish what is correct and then let us know.
We need a final answer :popcrn:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on October 05, 2013, 05:26:41 PM

Of course they are wrong ::)   How could they be otherwise?   It is up to you to establish what is correct and then let us know.

Troll alert.

Back N Black

Quote from: MaximRecoil on October 05, 2013, 06:56:13 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on October 05, 2013, 05:26:41 PM

Troll alert.

Comical irony coming from a guy who Troll's every thread on this site.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Back N Black on October 05, 2013, 08:26:44 PM

Except I don't, nor have I "trolled" any threads on this site whatsoever. Go ahead and find an example anywhere on this site where I posted an uncivil comment to someone who didn't first post an uncivil comment.

Also, monkey see, monkey do.

Back N Black

Quote from: MaximRecoil on October 05, 2013, 08:47:41 PM

Except I don't, nor have I "trolled" any threads on this site whatsoever. Go ahead and find an example anywhere on this site where I posted an uncivil comment to someone who didn't first post an uncivil comment.

Also, monkey see, monkey do
Is this just random quotes for the sake of posting random quotes, or do you have a point in mind?

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Back N Black on October 05, 2013, 09:10:24 PM

Is this just random quotes for the sake of posting random quotes, or do you have a point in mind?

First of all, that's not uncivil. Also, even if it was (it wasn't), it was posted to the guy who had just lied out me, claiming I hijacked the thread, and lying about someone is uncivil by default.

Back N Black

Quote from: MaximRecoil on October 05, 2013, 09:14:36 PM

First of all, that's not uncivil. Also, even if it was (it wasn't), it was posted to the guy who had just lied out me, claiming I hijacked the thread, and lying about someone is uncivil by default.
Also, consider your tacit request to redefine the word "uncivil",denied.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Back N Black on October 05, 2013, 09:26:38 PM

Monkey see, monkey do II.

The fact is, you're wrong regardless of whether it was uncivil or not. I said:

"First of all, that's not uncivil. Also, even if it was (it wasn't), it was posted to the guy who had just lied out me, claiming I hijacked the thread, and lying about someone is uncivil by default."

Does the bolding help?

Back N Black

Quote from: MaximRecoil on October 05, 2013, 09:31:24 PM
Quote from: Back N Black on October 05, 2013, 09:26:38 PM

Monkey see, monkey do II.

The fact is, you're wrong regardless of whether it was uncivil or not. I said:

"First of all, that's not uncivil. Also, even if it was (it wasn't), it was posted to the guy who had just lied out me, claiming I hijacked the thread, and lying about someone is uncivil by default."

Does the bolding help?

Your Junior Detective Kit is in need of an upgrade.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Back N Black on October 06, 2013, 08:59:50 AM

Monkey See, Monkey Do III

You can go ahead and assume the same response from me for each future sequel you add to your Monkey See, Monkey Do series. Don't forget to change the number at the end, i.e., IV, V, VI, VII, and so on.

Back N Black

Quote from: MaximRecoil on October 06, 2013, 09:11:50 AM
Quote from: Back N Black on October 06, 2013, 08:59:50 AM

Monkey See, Monkey Do III

You can go ahead and assume the same response from me for each future sequel you add to your Monkey See, Monkey Do series. Don't forget to change the number at the end, i.e., IV, V, VI, VII, and so on.
:hah:
I just copy and paste you replies from previous threads and you respond, its like you are debating with yourself.
Oh,
Monkey See, Monkey Do IV. (Already refuted, thus dismissed).