News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My rant: SUPRA vs CHARGER

Started by 1974dodgecharger, December 17, 2013, 12:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: SRT-440 on December 18, 2013, 02:50:54 PM

The lovely thing about factory turbo motors is, all you have to do is turn up the boost and u really have 50+ hp. 

Unless you have one of the "Chrysler" 2.2 non-intercooled turbos from the 80's.  Run those things on too much boost and the only thing you get is coolant in your oilpan :) :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

SRT-440

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on December 19, 2013, 04:40:09 PM
Quote from: SRT-440 on December 18, 2013, 02:50:54 PM

The lovely thing about factory turbo motors is, all you have to do is turn up the boost and u really have 50+ hp. 

Unless you have one of the "Chrysler" 2.2 non-intercooled turbos from the 80's.  Run those things on too much boost and the only thing you get is coolant in your oilpan :) :)
Lol...not all motors were created equal. However, with a big intercooler and alcohol injection even those motors would live...under resonable amount of boost of course.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Ghoste

They turned some impressive times.  To be fair also, they were made nearly 30 years ago so a little unfair to compare it to modern stuff.

Cooter

The thing with turbos and newer stuff is you get all that BS when you buy the car. ..
Try turboing a 440 Chrysler and same thing with fuel injection, you have a $1500-2000 blow through carb to buy. Along with all the turbo stuff.
I used to be a huge proponent of Nitrous Oxide because I could keep up with most hoosted cars cheaper.
However, I can now buy an HX52 turbo that will blow the crank right out of a 440 on evilbay for around $600.00....
This intriguing to say the least....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Lord Warlock

The supra MKIV does have a lot of potential and it performs great with mods, the F&F movies actually turned it into an instant collector car to the tuner crowd, and inflated the resale value on used ones so high that few would pay what they go for now.  The biggest problem with the tuner crowd is that they think everything added on equates to more hp, and rarely use a dyno to prove it, they used to claim stickers would make it faster, just like the honda crowd claims.  It doesn't need to have 600hp or 1000 hp to run 1/4 times that more than outpace old musclecars.  A 450hp supra would eat most chargers with big blocks.  Throughout the 90s I drove a 91 Stealth turbo, kept it stock for 9 years while i drove it daily, then at 100k miles i started modding it, should have done that sooner, would have gotten me in trouble even more than I got in previously. (got more tickets in that car than any other car i've had).  To be truthful, adding bigger turbos than stock add about 50hp but isn't a cheap add on like the tuners want you to believe, it still costs 1200-1800 bucks for the parts plus the installs/tune.  Adding full exhaust mods such as a 3" downpipe added no dropoff in boost above 4500 like the stock turbos had, could rev to 7300 and it would maintain boost at 14-21psi  without grenading the motor.  Boost controllers tend to cost about 100.00 for the cheap manual ones, the electronic ones cost 400 or so, I put a 350.00 controller on the stealth and it runs 14psi  (1 bar) and pumps out about 450hp to the wheels (AWD, all 4 wheels).  The stealth, after i made mods to it would embarrass almost any muscle care of the 60s or 70s, the problem with that car though was when you broke something, it was never a cheap fix, it always cost 1000.00 minimum, and often it would cost you 3k to 5k.  The stock motor can handle 600hp without beefing up the internals, a wimpy 3.0L v6. 

Although I didn't consider my car one of the tuner crowd, they always liked to challenge you if they saw the twin turbo badges on the side of the doors.  Never had one walk away from me, in fact I never lost a race in 9 years of driving it daily, and it ran cars that it shouldn't have won against.  I eventually just got tired of driving it, so parked it just like i did the charger before it.  Got something else and drove and modded that for a few years.  Got in the stealth to move it out of the garage to pull axles on the charger, and remembered one of the reasons I disliked it, I put in a very stiff clutch in it when i added the bigger turbos and exhaust mods, that bitch is harder to shift now than my svt cobra was, plus you sit on the ground like a go cart, i've gotten used to sitting up higher in my last few cars. 

I kept the stealth for several reasons, it has cool looks, and is as friendly to the eyes today as it was the day it rolled out, similar to the charger I kept.  It gets decent gas mileage for the performance you get out of it, I can get 26mpg and run 12 sec quarters, plus it has a top end higher than any other car i've driven.  I also kept it because it was somewhat rare that year, its one of 74 made that color in 91.  (teal blue/Napier blue).  I have to drain the gas tank, and put fresh fuel in it before i can drive it again, its been 8 years since i drove it, and 3 years since i started it.  When i get the charger on the street again, then i can start getting the stealth back on the road...just in time to sell it off, I've kept it long enough now that it is now appreciating in price finally.  Not much, and nothing like the supra has seen, but at least it isn't losing value every year anymore. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.