News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Make your jack.

Started by billssuperbird, June 11, 2014, 06:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ5WING

all the scissors jacked got pulled out of the trunks to get used for other projects around the garage and never returned?
wingless now, but still around.

r4daytona

maybe they were metled and made into Yugo's.  :smilielol: This topic is instersting because I guess I have one of the "misfist" jacks.  Yes, if I had a car like Geno's or Tony's and planned on restoring it to be judged - sure I'd look for an original.  But that wasn't my plan and I just can't spend $3000 on a jack.  So, I have one thats close ehough for now.  It's better than no jack - because lord knows people would comment on that as well.

maxwellwedge

51......... :smilielol:

I agree with everyone - because everyone has different ideas of what they ultimately want and/or have budgets and put the money into having a roadworthy car first and foremost.  :cheers:

nascarxx29

looks like same type jack I got I have 2 handles ones longer than the other.Measure off a authentic one.and modify as needed  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daytona-Superbird-scissors-jack-/131213131713?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8ce97fc1
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

While I can't speak for Danny, I do know my own reasons for scrutinizing an original scissors jack & a couple other related details with him that day at Carlisle.  Didn't seem like 2 hours at the time (never does when we're doing stuff like that, does it?).

I am interested in the finer points/details of originality primarily to make sure my own restored car exhibits those same characteristics and to serve as a reference for others who share the same interest in such.  It doesn't matter to me what jack Tom has in his car, or anyone else's car for that matter.  Heck, use a bottle jack if you want.  If someone asks, I'll try and share what I've learned or point them in Pete's direction since he's researched this particular subject far more than Danny & I have.  If someone's trying to sell their car for primo bucks but doesn't have an original jack in the trunk or other "correct" details, I don't mind pointing such stuff out - only to make our collective pool of wisdom that much deeper and to help any prospective buyer to know what they'd be getting... but I do not care to run down or denigrate someone else's pride and joy any more than I would want them to criticize my car for the way it's been restored.  (c.f. Matthew 7:12)  It would be rather selfish/prideful of me to walk around assuming others have the same level of interest in originality as I do, and therefore in need of being "educated".  My attitude is quite the opposite, and I still have a LOT to learn myself.  I'm probably more interested in hearing the back stories of a car's history than how "correct" it is, and would expect any owner to be pretty hacked at me if I started offering unsolicited advice...  Except, of course, when I get the chance to razz (fearless leader) Troy about the air cleaner nut on his '68 Charger...   :P

:Twocents:

Troy

Quote from: hemigeno on June 17, 2014, 10:20:36 AM
...  Except, of course, when I get the chance to razz (fearless leader) Troy about the air cleaner nut on his '68 Charger...   :P
Which you fixed so it all worked out. :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemigeno

Quote from: Troy on June 17, 2014, 10:33:55 AM
Quote from: hemigeno on June 17, 2014, 10:20:36 AM
...  Except, of course, when I get the chance to razz (fearless leader) Troy about the air cleaner nut on his '68 Charger...   :P
Which you fixed so it all worked out. :D

Troy

You finally gave in and let me fix it   :lol:

:cheers:

[/hijack]

billssuperbird

r4daytona

I hope to see Troy, Gene and Tony .. and others that want to help point out details that I can improve on.  I made a deal with Mark to get my car done - but not every concourse detail.  That was up to me. I like doing that and learning from others as I have from those guys and others here.  However, I have to do it within a budget and I don't have the luxury to buy a "correct" jack.  I commend them for doing their cars like they did, it helps us all, but that wasn't my plan.  I have more important things I need to do with that kind of money.  Especially now since after breakfast on fathers day I discovered my basement was flooded.  Yep, instead of crusing with my daughters, we spent the day hauling up furniture, rugs, papers, books.  Now I get to cut out drywall on a basement bedroom.  Happy Fathers Day to me!   

Redbird

I do not know all the details on jacks. But I have collected a few.

Left to right.

Original Superbird jack, I've had since the 70's.

3 middle jacks, all course threads, subtle differences.

Different jack, but fine thread rod-about perfect rod for a Superbird, rod has a beveled end as a Superbird one does.

Redbird

Jack Handles, bottom left to right then top.

Superbird, had since the 1970's.

Same handle as a Superbird, has all the exact ghosts in it from being fitted in jigs in manufacturing. This was in a Superbird bin at the jack manufacturer. If you find one of these it is exactly, and I mean exactly as was delivered in a Superbird.

2 different handles, slightly different diameter rods, slightly different rod lengths. Exact coupling to a Superbird except slightly thicker metal, very slightly thicker on a Mic. The 4th one was cracked and welded at the coupling from overuse.

Oh well!

Redbird

Original Superbird jack handle next to a 90 degree bent handle.

Very easy to tell the difference in real life.

billssuperbird

A real Superbird jack handle on eBay item number 121404217860 125.00 shipping 18.00